Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house sell should i hurry!!!!

Options
  • 21-11-2009 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

hi
    i have an issue when im going to sell my house have some minor issues to deal with ie sort out garden few tiling jobs etc before putting on market ... i have seen a house in brand new nearer to dublin which i feel is a good price! i want to buy it!! i was goin to put on my house for sale in middle end of febuarary start of march as this i thought was a better time to sell ..who wants to buy a house before christmas !! but then i worry prices dropping so much.. will there be a big drop between dec 09 and feb 10 !! should i rush to get house on market asap or aim for end of feb 2010

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

there won't be a massive drop if any at all - but you best get your house in good order and then get the signs up for sale. Get it valued and sell it yourself. Don't worry about those ES - they are mostly useless. At least you'll know who has been in touch, and will be able to talk to them. Get your solicitor on board, get your BER cert done, and be ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

photogirl wrote: »
    i have an issue when im going to sell my house have some minor issues to deal with ie sort out garden few tiling jobs etc
    Be very wary of spending money on these. A prospective buyer may not like your tiles and deduct money from what they are willing to spend. New paint will have most surveyors wondering what you are covering up. there is a recession on and builders are cheap. A buyer's prospective builder will invariably be cheaper than your actual builder. However, do have the place clean and presentable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    there won't be a massive drop if any at all
    I'm not sure how you can say that. On average prices are dropping 1% per month at present, and over 2% in Dublin. That's even before the toughest budget in living memory. Timing is most definitely a factor that needs to be considered.

I'd agree with Victor. Personally I don't see the point in redecorating, when a prospective buyer is probably going to change it anyway. However removing clutter, photos and any quirky personal effects is a good idea. It makes it far easier for many prospective buyers to imagine themselves living there.

Also agree with getting the BER cert asap. Best of luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

photogirl wrote: »
    who wants to buy a house before christmas !! but then i worry prices dropping so much.. will there be a big drop between dec 09 and feb 10 !! should i rush to get house on market asap or aim for end of feb 2010

people not buying houses in dec? summer? it's all a bit of a myth

if you price the house correctly it will sell regardless of what month it is

• Registered Users Posts: 16,631 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's not really a myth, go look up thre sales trends, even during the boom years, and you'll see the market drops off during these months (even the price drops slow down dramatically).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'm in the market for a fortune tellers crystal ball. Where did you get yours?

astrofool wrote: »
    It's not really a myth, go look up thre sales trends, even during the boom years, and you'll see the market drops off during these months (even the price drops slow down dramatically).

It's a catch 22, people think people don't buy in dec so don't activley drop in these months

people know they don't drop in these months so they wait till after xmas...

the point was really even if there is a slow down, if you price the house correctly it will sell regardless of what month it is.

a perfect time i would have thought if houses in your area don't drop nov/dec/jan and you do, who's going to get the most interest from buyers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If there are no tiles in some places and the place looks like it needs a little work done it's worth doing it. Have it as finished looking as possible because even house buyers can't always afford to spend more money on tilling etc. straight away. It's very hard to appeal to everyones tastes one viewer might love the tiles another might hate them.

So just pick neuteral colours something that's fresh and clean looking, not too dark that would be easy for your avereage buyer to live with until they wanted to change it. There are some nice wall tiles out there now that are very neutral but if say you're only tiling a splash back or whatever just keep the tiles neutral and then play around with some paint.

I don't think buyers mind freshly painted walls it doesn't mean somethings being covered up, the smell of fresh paint goes within a day and then it just leaves a clean looking wall. If there's any major problems with the house the viewers surveyor deals with that.

Plumbing wise as long as everythings working, some people will try the taps etc. I wouldn't worry as long as there's no leaks.
    Also for your own comfort it could be a while before the house sells so you might be stuck there for a while longer.

Pricing wise you can only lower a price of a house so much before you're left with nothing so price it reasonable and competitively with other houses for sale in the area but don't drop it to the point where you're at a huge loss.

We're in a similar boat and we can't drop the price any lower because we couldn't afford to move so we just keep doing bits on it, we finished the tiling which makes a huge difference in photos when selling.

If there is still a big demand for houses in your area then there might not be any harm putting it on the market now because if there is a lot of interest in the area people won't mind a bit of tiling.

The pics attached show what a difference tiling can make to the photos.
    They might not appeal to all but the units are neutral and walls can be painted to match in with them better if viewers don't like them.

Deffo. agree with trying to sell the house yourself

ntlbell wrote: »
    It's a catch 22, people think people don't buy in dec so don't activley drop in these months

people know they don't drop in these months so they wait till after xmas...

the point was really even if there is a slow down, if you price the house correctly it will sell regardless of what month it is.

a perfect time i would have thought if houses in your area don't drop nov/dec/jan and you do, who's going to get the most interest from buyers?

So, what you're saying is, it's not a myth :)

If you have to paint, paint it white, or neutral colours. Also get the place as live-able as possible, so people can see themselves moving in there. I'd also get floor plans done, and include them on the ad, and have plenty of photos. Include a list of schools in the area, and the nearest public transport (if it's a benefit).

So, what you're saying is, it's not a myth :)

If you have to paint, paint it white, or neutral colours. Also get the place as live-able as possible, so people can see themselves moving in there. I'd also get floor plans done, and include them on the ad, and have plenty of photos. Include a list of schools in the area, and the nearest public transport (if it's a benefit).

if one says "no one buys in june/july/aug/nov/dec/jan/feb"

that's not true.

if one says "no one buys a house or moves at xmas"

that's not true.

if one says "people don't like to buy or sell in the summer months"

that's not true.

what is true is if you price the house correctly regardless of what month it is, there is buyers to buy that house.

so if the statment is. no one buys during those months

that's a myth.

pedantic pants at the ready

• Advertisement

if one says "no one buys in june/july/aug/nov/dec/jan/feb"

that's not true.

if one says "no one buys a house or moves at xmas"

that's not true.

if one says "people don't like to buy or sell in the summer months"

that's not true.

what is true is if you price the house correctly regardless of what month it is, there is buyers to buy that house.

so if the statment is. no one buys during those months

that's a myth.

pedantic pants at the ready

To be pedantic, you say:

"people not buying houses in dec? summer? it's all a bit of a myth

if you price the house correctly it will sell regardless of what month it is"

Then you say

"what is true is if you price the house correctly regardless of what month it is, there is buyers to buy that house."

Which is not true, because the number of sales go down dramatically during those months, hence, even if it's priced "correctly" it has a smaller % chance of selling than a few months later, when more completions occur.

i.e. (and this is the important bit), if you are selling your house, and don't get much traction in the summer and december, your price may be fine, but the amount of people actively buying and looking is decreased, and thus, decreasing your price during these months leaves you open to losing a ton of money unnecessarily.

If you don't get traction during the "busy" times, you need to drop your price quickly, or market your property better.

To be pedantic, you say:

"people not buying houses in dec? summer? it's all a bit of a myth

if you price the house correctly it will sell regardless of what month it is"

Then you say

"what is true is if you price the house correctly regardless of what month it is, there is buyers to buy that house."

Which is not true, because the number of sales go down dramatically during those months, hence, even if it's priced "correctly" it has a smaller % chance of selling than a few months later, when more completions occur.

i.e. (and this is the important bit), if you are selling your house, and don't get much traction in the summer and december, your price may be fine, but the amount of people actively buying and looking is decreased, and thus, decreasing your price during these months leaves you open to losing a ton of money unnecessarily.

If you don't get traction during the "busy" times, you need to drop your price quickly, or market your property better.

I'm not going to keep going on and on over this

OP if you want to sell a house in DEC it's not an issue.

you may have to put some effort into it getting it noticed and you will have to price it accordingly but you will find buyers.

if you want to sell any month of the year it's not an issue.

there is always buyers at the right price.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

I'm not going to keep going on and on over this

OP if you want to sell a house in DEC it's not an issue.

you may have to put some effort into it getting it noticed and you will have to price it accordingly but you will find buyers.

if you want to sell any month of the year it's not an issue.

there is always buyers at the right price.

Absolute and total rubbish from someone who has obviously never tried to sell a house. There are very few buyers out in December so while your price may attract buyers there will be less buyers to attract. The OP obviously wants the best price they can get for their property. It is not simply a matter of selling at any price.

Not only are there fewer buyers but houses look worse in December, poor light, no flowers in garden etc. If you wanted to pick the worst time of year to try to sell a house it is December. Poor weather and stress also put people in a worse mood to buy. Remember most people spend very little time viewing a house they are going to buy. Usually the decision is made within a few minutes of seeing house for first time. Small things matter a huge amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

there won't be a massive drop if any at all ...
    Ah is is this going to be due to you and all your investor buddies out investing in the property market ?

So how to you know that the budget isn't goign to have affect on spending, that there will be no job losses particularly in retail after Christmas and the banks will start lending again ?
    Please I am interested how you can state there will be no drops in house prices ?
    amdublin wrote: »
    I'm in the market for a fortune tellers crystal ball. Where did you get yours?

I want to know that as well ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Considering you haven't been right on a single thing about the Irish property bubble, you really have frickin' balls to be advising this person.

P.

Advertisement