Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards redirected me to a spamsite

Options
  • 21-11-2009 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82,392 ✭✭✭✭

Just browsing PI and Multitabbing when suddenly I closed a thread tab when it tried to whisk me off to some website before my norton kicked in and blocked "A recent attempt to attack my computer" - Http Fake Scan Webpage, Threat Level High

Link to redirect: attempt at peril

://secoscan.info/25/27-092wL3QzL1EzL==

(Removed http for extra safety)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,392 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just happened again when i came onto boards, I started opening up my subbed forums tabs and then the Comp and Tech tab was redirected to the same website again.

Im going to disable ads and see if this doesnt correct the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Run a scan on your PC.
    Seems like you have a browser hijacker!

Sparky wrote: »
    Run a scan on your PC.
    Seems like you have a browser hijacker!
    Well thats probable as anything - its the Family PC im getting this on. And at work I've had adblocker on defacto but I will try disabling it here and see if I dont run into the problem again with the ads running, and scan the family PC when I get home.

I would have before but Ive been defraggling the hell out of it - still at 34% (thats fragmentation!) and didnt want to burn the drive time on a witch hunt.

[nolink]http://mascan12.info/25/27-094wL5QzL1EzL==[/nolink]

It happened again. This time on a seperate computer to the first. This is my own laptop not the family PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Any way you may have cross-contaminated the machines?

This is really, really unlikely to be a boards.ie problem. The only way it could happen would be if boards.ie or adtech (the ad infrastructure we use) was compromised. If either of those things happened we'd have way more reports of problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Burns

Exact same happens to me. Only when I visit this site too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

i can't replicate this at all.

Unfortunately, if I can't replicate it, I can't fix it.

Overheal: were you able to replicate the problem with ads turned off? (This would allow me to know if I can rule out boards.ie and focus any effort on adtech.) That said, unless I can produce a test case which reliably reproduces the problem, there's absolutely no point in me contacting adtech.

with Ads turned off I browsed boards for months on my laptop (guilty as charged)

With Ads on, its just happened again, and worse, My Internet Suite would have let it happen. Site tried to look like a Vista MyComputer Screen full of fake infections bla bla bla and it tried several times to get me to download something via firefox. Dont tell Pog he will have my head :p Norton is not infallible though ive always known that. This is the first time its actually gotten through since I started noticing these Freak-redirects a month ago.

http//pro-scanner50.cn/2/?sess=%3DmG49jDwMC03NCZpcD0yNC4xNjguMjQ4LjIxMiZ0aW1lPTEyNjY3MQgMOQkM
    http//pro-scanner50.cn/download/Antivir-0c6e8_2006-74.exe
    http//pro-scanner50.cn/download/Antivir-bc87e_2006-74.exe

First thing it did was close all my other windows and show up as a System message; bla bla bla; obvious virus is obvious Shpiel.

My PC is safe; im running a full system scan but I dont think I actually downloaded anything; and I've unfortunately reported both the attack site and boards.ie as unsafe for the time being. When it stops happening consistently Ill rescind that.

I assume you lads are well on top of your own infrastructure so I have to assume its the ads, and i will go about disabling those again. You should have a chat with your advert business partners though.

It happened once on the laptop (post 5) then at some point a couple weeks ago it did it again but i didnt report it that time as I was in the middle of politics posting and couldnt be arsed. And now its happened but with the special exception my security didnt catch it this time out of all the other times: so its now become an actual concern for me.

Everytime ive encountered it though connor its been when opening multiple tabs to multiple forums, like when you Middle-Mouse click on all of your subbed forums from the menubar. only happens maybe 1 in 100 times you go to do something like that, but it happens.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement