Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Miscarriage

Options
  • 21-11-2009 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

my wife and I have been trying to get pregnant for over a year and a half and were over the moon to find that 4 weeks a go we were pregnant. We thought we were 3 weeks gone at this stage but the doctor told us its counted as 5 weeks. A few days later my wife expereinced a little brown discharge with some small cramping, we were very worried and rang the hospital and they told us its common and if it turns to red blood to come in then,
    After this day we didn't have any spotting for a week and then it came back again continous when wiping for 6 days, we payed a visit to the hospital to have an emergeny scan, the Doc did an ultra scan and verified that a pregnancy was there but he couldn't see much detail, he did an internal scan and was very worried that the pregnancy was not advanved as it should be for what a 7 week pregnancy should look and told us to prepare ourselves for a miscarraige, we have to go back in a week for another scan and if the pregnancy hasn't developed they will have to do a D and C.
    We are shattered and are struggling to come to terms with this loss, is there any chance that the Doctor is wrong and that there is some chance that our baby is still alive, my wife hasn't had any spotting this week but has been very tired and has a lot of lower back pain,

has anyone else been through this before and what was their outcome,

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

So sorry to read this OP.

There's a possibility of a mistake but from the detail you've given it seems unlikely. A heartbeat should be visible from an internal scan by 6 weeks of pregnancy. Also the fact that there has been no change in a week.

Get a second opinion if you feel you need to to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rosepetal

On my second child I had some bleeding at 6.5 weeks , went to hospital where they scanned me but could only find the sac , no heartbeat. I was told to come back in 2 weeks, but it didnt look great. Went back 2 weeks later and there was the little heart beating away. He is 8 now. I cant say obviously whether your wife is having an mc or not but dont give up all hope until you go back in a week and find out for sure, I know lots of people who had bleeds in pregnancy and were fine. Take care xx

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Just realised I read the OP wrong.

You haven't had your scan a week later yet.

Yes there is definitely hope and I'll have my fingers crossed that there will have been some development and it's just a problem with your dates.

Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Das Kitty wrote: »
    A heartbeat should be visible from an internal scan by 6 weeks of pregnancy.

Are you sure? I thought it was 7 weeks onwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I know how you're feeling op from personal experience. Try not to panic yet. Has she still other pregancy symptoms like nausea, frequent peeing and sore breasts? If it's a 'missed miscarriage'(a loss that's retained in the womb) likely the symptoms will fade away as the spotting continues. It's a good sign if she still 'feels' pregnant'.
    On a positive note my sister bled nearly the whole way through her first pregnancy and had a bouncing 10 1b 7 oz baby girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shaca

I had a very bad bleed in the 9th week of my last pregnancy. Thought for definate that I was having a miss. Rang doc and she said that because I had previously had 2 mc that things didn't look good and she was going to send an ambulance. Told her I would make my own way there. At the hospital things started to settle a little bit. They told me to come back in on Monday morning for a scan. (No one there to scan me on a Friday night) Put my feet up for the full weekend, went back on Monday and thankfully everything was grand. Couldn't believe it. Have a happy healthy 2 yr old now.

Don't give up hope till u know for sure. Like the previous poster my sister bled the whole way through her first pregnancy and everything was fine for her. Good luck with and hopefully everything will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dexter50

Tks, everyone for your messages of support, we went in today and unfortunately there has not been any development, the gestational sac had grown a little but still no growth on the fetus which is still at 6 weeks.
    We are at 9 weeks and have been told that the pregnancy will not develop and we now have to go back again next week for another scan,

We wanted to get a D and C done now as we don't want to be going through the whole emotional pain of this for another week, but they wouldn't do it they said they couldn't as there was regulations they needed to follow and they needed another scan before they would confirm for sure and then perform a D and C. Is this normal??

They called it a missed miscarriage where the miscarriage happens but the body doesn't expel the way a normal miscarriage would.

Again thanks a million for your support.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Very sorry for your trobles Dexter. My wife and I had the same experience on our second pregnancy. It was a diificult thing to come to terms with as at that stage we didn't have a child to mourn. It was the possibility that we mourned. I can't look back on it without feeling a pang but we accepted it as something that wasn't meant to be at that time. I have to go as the two that were meant to be are tearing the heads off each other in the playroom. Best of luck with the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shaca

It is normal for them to bring u back again and do another scan. They did this with me for 3 weeks on the trot. Part of it was waiting for the body to have a natural mis instead of doing a d&c straight away. They probably would have done blood tests again so they will want to compare these to see if the amount of pregnancy hormones in your body are dropping. This is another indication of a m/c so I suppose they just want to be 100% positive before they decide what course of action to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

They saw a change from the last scan to this one even with out the heart beat and they need to have a scan which has no change and even then they will wait and see if the body will follow through on the miscarriage it'self and won't do a D&C unless there is a risk of the remains decaying which is a health risk.

It is unfortunate but that is the policy of most of our maternity hospitals.
    It is very hard on parents who are in this situation to have to wait it out and not something I agree with :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Dexter thanks for getting back to us, I was thinking about you and your wife since I read your post, my heart goes out to you both.

I've had five missed miscarriages(don't mean to scare you, not many have so many losses) so I know the agony of not knowing what's going on.

I'd usually start spotting at 10wks, the scans would show a foetus of about 7-8wks gestation with no heartbeat. One time they couldn't tell by a normal scan and I was sent for an internal scan which clearly showed no life. They did suggest taking blood tests to be sure but I couldn't bear the not knowing, it was then that they referred me to the Lourdes for the internal scan.

I am lucky though 'cos I've had two sons, one in 1989(to be unexpectedly pregnant so young was upsetting but thank God I had him). I had my first miscarriage in '99 and in 2000 I had another beautiful wee boy.. over the next few years I lost four more. I've had lots of tests but nothing showed up.

Please God things will settle down for you and all will be well but if the worst comes to the worst and they don't..just be aware of the fact that you've successfully conceived, that's a huge hurdle for some. Also as it's so early you can start trying again quite soon, make sure your wife is taking folic acid and I heard Zinc supplements were important for fertility for both men and women. Keep us informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

dexter50 wrote: »
    Tks, everyone for your messages of support, we went in today and unfortunately there has not been any development, the gestational sac had grown a little but still no growth on the fetus which is still at 6 weeks.
    We are at 9 weeks and have been told that the pregnancy will not develop and we now have to go back again next week for another scan,

We wanted to get a D and C done now as we don't want to be going through the whole emotional pain of this for another week, but they wouldn't do it they said they couldn't as there was regulations they needed to follow and they needed another scan before they would confirm for sure and then perform a D and C. Is this normal??

They called it a missed miscarriage where the miscarriage happens but the body doesn't expel the way a normal miscarriage would.

Again thanks a million for your support.
    I went through a similar thing in January, the baby did have a heartbeat but was not growing to dates and stayed at less than 7 weeks, was heartbreaking as we kept on hoping that our little baby would pull through...I eventually started to miscarry at 9 weeks and our baby died at 9.5 weeks...there is nothing that you can do, nothing that you did wrong but do be there for one another. We had a further 4 mis this year (we could have gone to a clinic for people in similar situations but I stupidly chose not to)...am 18.5 weeks now. Am so sorry for your loss.

Advertisement