Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gastro Procedure Question!

Options
  • 21-11-2009 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

I have suffered with G.O.R.D and a form of Barret's Oesophigus all my life and have been in and out for endoscopy's all my life also, as tablet treatment hasn't worked AT ALL, they've decided to operate, but before that procedure, my consultant told me that he wants to put a little tube in my chest for 24 hours to measure the amount of acid i was building.

He explained the procedure, but im afraid I just didnt understand what he was saying, and to be honest, I was in such shock at hearing I have to have surgery, that I really didn't hear half of what he was saying.

Now I asked him what exactly does that entail but in the end he didn't actually answer my question, I also asked the nurse this morning as I awoke from my endoscopy but she didn't really give me the answers I was looking for either.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had this procedure done and what exactly it entails? Will I be awake with a tube hanging out of my face for a day or is it kept internal? Do I stay in hospital over night? Will I be sedated or put to sleep?
    I'v tried googling all this but to be honest I don't even know what this procedure is called!!

If there is anyone out there who has had this done, I would be extremely grateful for some dumbed down answers as opposed to medical terms that I have ZERO clue of!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Just found out its called a 24-Hour Esophageal pH Test...

After reading how they do it, has anyone had this done or something similar? They basically put a thin tube through your nose and down your throat. After reading up on this, now I wish I hadnt as I am now scared out of my wits!

Has anyone had anything like this done and is it really as bad as it sounds? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Skittlers

fend wrote: »
    Just found out its called a 24-Hour Esophageal pH Test...

After reading how they do it, has anyone had this done or something similar? They basically put a thin tube through your nose and down your throat. After reading up on this, now I wish I hadnt as I am now scared out of my wits!

Has anyone had anything like this done and is it really as bad as it sounds? :(

Hi Fend..I never had it done but it dosnt sound that serious..I have been in and out of hospitals for tests and operations in past and i know how worried you feel..Try focus that everything will be ok an u will be home in a few days..I take medication for ulcers and build up of acid..
    I will keep u in my thoughts over weekend i know hospitals can be very loanly places at the best of times..Im sure u will be fine i will keep in touch with u over weeked if u like..Skittlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

The tube is very narrow and comes out of your nose and is plugged into a monitor you wear.

You get it fitted and then just go about your day as normal, come back the next day and get it taken out.

Way easier than having endoscopy done.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Hi Fend

My mam had this done last month its just a thin tube thats passed up your nasal passage down to your throat just measures the amount of acid that builds up and is recordered on a monitor

Best of luck & hope you get well

Ask her is it bad/traumatizing/scary/uncomfortable/and any other word that's running through my head :eek:

I'm not even bothered about the results to be totally honest with you, its the actual PROCEDURE I'm brickin' it about!!!! :(

• Advertisement

Hi Fend no it wasnt scary not even uncomfortable just knowing the tube was there. she had it on for 24 hrs but the after that the test it wasnt conclusive i think the docs carry out this test but it doesnt always give them much information on acid production. what were the results of the camera tests? Bob

Camera suggested the valve from my oesophigus entering my stomach was weak or not working properly so that will have to be repaired, and also that the lining of the oesophigus was rough and very damaged.

Having the acid test in a couple of weeks, however I don't really see the point of it. They already know what the problem is... :rolleyes:
    Making more work for themselves I think....

Couldnt agree more Fend sounds a waste of time

Advertisement