Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Pressure !!!!

Options
  • 21-11-2009 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Only recently my washing machine and dishwasher are filling with water ( not much ). When both are finished their cycles they are empty but over the course of 2-3 days they start to fill with water although it is not much but is worrying.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Is the water clean or dirty? If clean, then the incoming water pressure could be high enough to force the inlet valves on the machine to pass a bit, but it's unlikely, and only possible if the machines are connected directly to the incoming mains water.

Are the drains connected into a common drain line shared with a sink? If so a loop of the flexible drain hose from each machine needs to be clipped up at a level higher than the overflow of the sink - i.e as high as you can get it - it should be just touching the underneath of the worktop above. This will prevent water flowing into the machines each time the sink is emptying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

Pete67 wrote: »
    Is the water clean or dirty? If clean, then the incoming water pressure could be high enough to force the inlet valves on the machine to pass a bit, but it's unlikely, and only possible if the machines are connected directly to the incoming mains water.

Are the drains connected into a common drain line shared with a sink? If so a loop of the flexible drain hose from each machine needs to be clipped up at a level higher than the overflow of the sink - i.e as high as you can get it - it should be just touching the underneath of the worktop above. This will prevent water flowing into the machines each time the sink is emptying.

Peter,

The water coming in is clean and I think the water pressure is too high and is forcing the inlet valves. Both units are connected correctly and both units dispose of waste water to different drains. The dishwasher outlet goes to the drain pipe in the sink and the washing machine is in a utility room and has its own drain to the outside. Their are no leaks from either unit and this is only happening recently.

Both units are connected as per any other dw/wm and not directly to the mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I heard of this from an earlier poster before. What he said to do and I cant even think of his name so you can PM him is this.

Shut off the water useing the valves at the back of the machines, open the filters on the back of the water inlets(The other end of the hose attached to the machine) Clean the filters. If there is a lot of dirt it means the inlet shut off valves have been clogged and are letting in water.

Hope this helps. If you need me to explain better just ask.

He also rec;s as a caution you leave the doors closed on the appliences. Kida obvious in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

OK, if they are not connected to the mains water directly, then the pressure is limited by the height of the cold water storage tank in the attic. So it's not possible for the pressure to have increased suddenly. As Joey says, dirt may have got lodged in the water inlet valves in both machines preventing them from closing tightly, this is more likely if the water level in the tank was very low in recent times as this stirs up the sediment in the tank when it refills. Is there a cover on the tank?

By the way, it's fairly common for dishwashers to be connected directly to the mains, as they are often located beside the kitchen sink, which usually does not have a cold water supply from the roof tank.

Pete67 wrote: »
    OK, if they are not connected to the mains water directly, then the pressure is limited by the height of the cold water storage tank in the attic. So it's not possible for the pressure to have increased suddenly. As Joey says, dirt may have got lodged in the water inlet valves in both machines preventing them from closing tightly, this is more likely if the water level in the tank was very low in recent times as this stirs up the sediment in the tank when it refills. Is there a cover on the tank?

By the way, it's fairly common for dishwashers to be connected directly to the mains, as they are often located beside the kitchen sink, which usually does not have a cold water supply from the roof tank.

Peter,

There is a cover on the tank in the attic and the dishwasher is connected off the mains. Will take both apart tomorrow and see if the inlet valves are dirty. Thanks for your help and wil let you know how I get on tomorrow

• Advertisement

Took out the washing machine and removed the cold water pipe and there was no filters attached. The machine is only supplied by cold water. Read through the instructions and no filters where supplied with the machine and the pipe was already attached to the machine when received. I tested the pressure and it was strong as is the cold water tap in the downstairs toilet which is next to the utility room. In the end I re-attached everything and only opened the cold water value half-way.

Let's see what happens during the week.

Advertisement