Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IKEA Exit Roads - No Direction Signs!

• 21-11-2009 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Visiting IKEA Ballymun today, I found that the exit road from IKEA back to the road network had absolutely no direction signs of any kind! The road network there is a bit complex and it difficult to guess whether you should turn left or right as you exit to get back to the Ballymun road or to get to the M1. If you get lucky and turn in the correct directon and do not end up in Fingas, you may eventually get to a junction where a Temporary sign points to a choice of M1 or City but this is far from the exit from the store.
    Is this total lack of signage the fault of National Roads Authority or of Fingal County Council or is it Dublin City Council? Whoever is responsible for this omission - months after IKEA's opening - should be fired!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tell them - IKEA and the two councils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I feel this issue is probably more suited to the Commuting & Transport forum. They have more knowledge of dealing with this sort of issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

exit M50 towards town and turn right at the next junction.

It's not really that hard... especially since the store is so big you can see it from miles away. Found it first time no bother despite not have a clue about the area

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

exit M50 towards town and turn right at the next junction.

It's not really that hard... especially since the store is so big you can see it from miles away. Found it first time no bother despite not have a clue about the area

I think the OP was more talking about the lack of signage when you leave the store. When IKEA opened originally, you could only turn left back out towards Ballymun... so it was probably an oversight on their part that when the road opened to the right towards Finglas in October, they neglected to put up proper signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I note Victor's rather grumpy response - "tell them: Ikea and the two councils" to my point about lack of signage on the infrastructural roads exiting IKEA.
    I thought the whole point of a forum like Boards.ie was to engage in public discussion and voice matters of public interest. Of course I COULD have just made the three phone calls Victor suggests and not bother subscribing messages to this public forum but then what would be the point of boards.ie?
    Victor as moderator then zaps my thread in Infrastructure and moves it to Commuting and Transport - hardly a logical place since the issue is not about commuting or public transport but about Infrastructure which is where I posted it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ernest wrote: »
    Victor as moderator then zaps my thread in Infrastructure and moves it to Commuting and Transport - hardly a logical place since the issue is not about commuting or public transport but about Infrastructure which is where I posted it!!
    I have not control over Infrastructure, you'll need to take that up with the Infrastructure mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I moved your thread because your issue is to do with the repercussions of the lack of signage (i.e a transport issue) rather than the actual signage itself (an infrastructure issue). There can be a thin line between the two, and this thread is probably one of those "grey area" ones - but my experience of both forums tells me that this is a better place for the thread - and one in which your issue is more likely to be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

The area in general is still pretty much under construction, try and remember how you got in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Ernest....The real issue here is why the Irish Local Administrative sector could not liase with IKEA for the ENTIRE planning and construction phase of the place.

AFAIAA IKEA did offer to fund and install an additional element of access infrastructure but Fingal Co Co rejected this as it compromised their control over such matters.

Added to this is the sadly typical Irish attitude of having as many differing administrative bodies as one can shake a stick at to oversee the various elements of the M50/Ballymun/IKEA development.

The M50 Construction Consortium.
    The NRA.
    Fingal Co Co.
    Dept of Environment.
    Dept of Transport,
    and so on and so forth into infinity.

When one sees such a grouping of agencies (Cabal?) one needs to remember that each one is made up of a totally powerful secretariat and cabinet of itself which will accept NO interference with or straying onto its territory.....Thats why,Ernest,you don`t have any signs coming out of IKEA.....Cos the lad in charge of IKEA signs is on Maternity leave...so there !!!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I agree with you Ernest - went last Sunday and managed to take the wrong guess on the direction when exiting IKEA. Luckily we decided to turn around and try the other direction sharpish :)

• Advertisement

oddiot wrote: »
    I think the OP was more talking about the lack of signage when you leave the store. When IKEA opened originally, you could only turn left back out towards Ballymun... so it was probably an oversight on their part that when the road opened to the right towards Finglas in October, they neglected to put up proper signage.

sure you just go out the same way you go in (in reverse):p

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

sure you just go out the same way you go in (in reverse):p

agreed, how on earth people could get lost is beyond me, the road is clearly signposted on the way in, just go back the same way or if coming out on the other side of Ikea, turn left back toward THE WAY YOU CAME IN.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Copacetic and Cookie Monster have a brilliant solution to the issue I raised: No need for road direction signs at all - you just come out the way you came in!! Now why didn't I think of that! Never crossed my mind at all! Another Irish Solution to a global issue! Could they, perhaps, be nominated for the Nobel Prize for Road Traffic Management.

Copacetic and Cookie Monster have a brilliant solution to the issue I raised: No need for road direction signs at all - you just come out the way you came in!! Now why didn't I think of that! Never crossed my mind at all! Another Irish Solution to a global issue! Could they, perhaps, be nominated for the Nobel Prize for Road Traffic Management.

Do you have a complete inability to remember where you have been and how you got there.:rolleyes: FFS grow up its not a big deal that there's no signage. Its easy to get in and out of.
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I've been living in IKEA for the past 4 days now. The beds are comfortable enough to sleep in, and the food is decent, although I am getting sick of meatballs for breakfast. Boards helps pass the time. I have tried to leave on a number of occasions but been thwarted by the lack of signage, and fearful of taking a wrong turn have retreated back into the store.

Hopefully, this boards campaign for adequate direction signs will be heeded, and I will shortly be able to return home, as I fear if she is left alone much longer poor Fluffy will soon starve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

????
    You can see (and hear) the M50 from the IKEA carpark.....It's fairly self explanatory.Go back out the way you came in.And if you end up in Finglas there are plenty of signs there to send you back to the M50.

MOH wrote: »
    I've been living in IKEA for the past 4 days now. The beds are comfortable enough to sleep in, and the food is decent, although I am getting sick of meatballs for breakfast. Boards helps pass the time. I have tried to leave on a number of occasions but been thwarted by the lack of signage, and fearful of taking a wrong turn have retreated back into the store.

Hopefully, this boards campaign for adequate direction signs will be heeded, and I will shortly be able to return home, as I fear if she is left alone much longer poor Fluffy will soon starve.

follow the footsteps stuck on the floor, pick me up a billy bookcase on your way out
    :D

Advertisement