Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

european firearms pass

Options
  • 21-11-2009 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

i got my euro firearms pass in july and the expiry date on it is for next july, however with the new licensing system will i have to apply for it now or do i wait until next july:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Next July. Don't know how other stations are doing it but mine was restamped 3 weeks ago (they waited until all licenses came through before stamping it) and it expires next year on the same date.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

In actual fact it should run for the same length of time as the firearms cert it's based on.

You should have it extended to when your three year licence runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

just looking at mine and its good until 31/07/2012

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Mine was stamped week before last for the Finland trip and it's now valid out to 03/11/12, so they are going on the three years in at least two places.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

rrpc wrote: »
    In actual fact it should run for the same length of time as the firearms cert it's based on.

You should have it extended to when your three year licence runs out.
    clivej
    ..............just looking at mine and its good until 31/07/2012
    Sparks
    .............it's now valid out to 03/11/12

I KNEW IT. The git told me i still had to get it stamped each year. To the station in the morning.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Its back to the same old story, every station has its own set of rules, i got mine stamped before new licence came thru and they told me i would need it done every year as not every country has the three year system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

SI 362/93 which gave effect to EU directive 91/477 which introduced the EFP says this:
    (c) The period specified in the European Firearms Pass as the period for which it is to be valid shall be whichever is the shorter of the following;

(i) the period ending on the expiry of a certificate relating to a firearm identified in the pass

(ii) the maximum period for the duration of that pass.

(d) For the purposes of subparagraph (c) above the maximum period for the duration of a European Firearms Pass is—

(i) in the case of a pass identifying only a shotgun, ten years; and

(ii) in any other case, five years.

So for as long as your licence lasts. I can understand the confusion as it was always one year because the licence was one year. Now that the licence is three years, so is the EFP but that fact wouldn't be obvious as nothing changed in the EFP legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

The Gardai will only update your EFP IF you have a valid Irish Firearms Certificate for the firearm in question.

Same with a PSNI Visitor Permit - they will only issue it if you hold a valid Irish Firearms Certificate.

I do not know this for a fact but I believe that your EFP, whereas it is accepted by all other EU Counties as a valid license in it's own right, is not truly a valid license unless you have a matching Irish Firearms Certificate, seeing as those were the conditions under which it was granted.

e.g. For one of my Firearms - I currently do not have an Irish license - my Irish Cert ran out on 31/10 - my new app has not been processed yet - yet my PSNI permit for the same firearm is valid until April 2010 and my EFP is valid until July 2011 - all as worthless as the boxes of stock options I have at home - until I get a new Irish Cert.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Bananaman wrote: »
    I do not know this for a fact but I believe that your EFP, whereas it is accepted by all other EU Counties as a valid license in it's own right, is not truly a valid license unless you have a matching Irish Firearms Certificate, seeing as those were the conditions under which it was granted.
    Er, close. The EFP is not seen as a licence anywhere, nor is it meant to be. Your Irish licence is like your rifle's proof it's a citizen somewhere and your EFP is it's passport, if that makes sense.
    e.g. For one of my Firearms - I currently do not have an Irish license - my Irish Cert ran out on 31/10 - my new app has not been processed yet - yet my PSNI permit for the same firearm is valid until April 2010 and my EFP is valid until July 2011 - all as worthless as the boxes of stock options I have at home - until I get a new Irish Cert.
    Spot on correct. And once your new licence is issued, you should get your EFP updated, technically it's now expired (when the original firearms cert expires, so does the corresponding EFP). Not sure about the PSNI permit though.

Advertisement