Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways to get a Meteor phone but stay on Vodafone?

• 21-11-2009 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get the HTC Hero which is only available on meteor at present. I am on a friends tariff on Vodafone so would be very hesitent to leave and have heard bad things about meteor's coverage. Is there any way, without buying sim free for big bucks, to swindle getting the Hero and staying with Vodafone for a reasonable price? I was thinking about singing up to Meteor, getting the phone cheap and then changing to their basic tariff and paying the cancellation penalty but apparently they don't let you change tariffs for 6 months.

Is there any way to about doing this and keeping the cost down? Yes, I know I probably sound stingy but on bill it's only €99 whereas prepaid €399 and sim free probably €500. Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

It's €400 sim-free. Have a look through the HTC Hero thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Meteors coverage isn't as bad as you've heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

chrislad wrote: »
    Meteors coverage isn't as bad as you've heard.
    considering you work for meteor you'd obviously say that:D

But no, coverage isn't that bad anymore. I'd nearly move to meteor-they've better offerings than vodafone anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

But its true ........ Meteor's coverage is pretty damn good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Meteor are good. Vodafone, even with a friends bundle is likly to be more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Moved to meteor and never had a signal problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

breeno wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get the HTC Hero which is only available on meteor at present. I am on a friends tariff on Vodafone so would be very hesitent to leave and have heard bad things about meteor's coverage. Is there any way, without buying sim free for big bucks, to swindle getting the Hero and staying with Vodafone for a reasonable price? I was thinking about singing up to Meteor, getting the phone cheap and then changing to their basic tariff and paying the cancellation penalty but apparently they don't let you change tariffs for 6 months.
    !

FYI, it's 12 months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

breeno wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Is there any way to about doing this and keeping the cost down? Yes, I know I probably sound stingy but on bill it's only €99 whereas prepaid €399 and sim free probably €500. Any help would be much appreciated!
    The cheapest monthly tariff you can avail of the Hero on is €25/month, handset costs €159 (only €129 if you port your current number to meteor).

So if you sign up to Billpay to get the Hero, then cancel, it will cost you:
    Billpay: €159 + (€25x12) = €459.

On pay as you go:
    PAYG: €389 (no guarantee the handset will not be sim locked to Meteor).

Or just buy it SIM-free:
    Sim-Free: €450~ (depending where you look).

Basically, you're not going to be able to dwindle meteor out of a new handset :rolleyes:

Advertisement