Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are volunteeres needed to help flood victims?

Options
  • 21-11-2009 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there was anything ordinary people like me could do to help. I don't have emergency services type skills but I could help somebody clean up or donate some clothes to people who now don't have any. I know people are being accomodated at Rochestown Park and the Doughcloyne in Togher. Is any help required at these places?

I'm certain there must be people who need some practical help, anybody know how to go about offering help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think talk to people like the St. Vincent de Paul and the Irish Red Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

sunnyside wrote: »
    Just wondering if there was anything ordinary people like me could do to help. I don't have emergency services type skills but I could help somebody clean up or donate some clothes to people who now don't have any. I know people are being accomodated at Rochestown Park and the Doughcloyne in Togher. Is any help required at these places?

I'm certain there must be people who need some practical help, anybody know how to go about offering help?

Im sure the older people affected by the floods would be delighted with the help. Im off work on Monday, Tuesday and wednesday so Im gonna head in along to see if i can be any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Victor wrote: »
    I think talk to people like the St. Vincent de Paul and the Irish Red Cross.

But they don't really welcome random volunteers. They have a very strict structure with application process, references, training courses, etc. I don't want to commit to that, I just want to help sombody who wouldn't even normally need help but have suffered badly in the last few days.
    JimBob85 wrote: »
    Im sure the older people affected by the floods would be delighted with the help. Im off work on Monday, Tuesday and wednesday so Im gonna head in along to see if i can be any help.

Go where exactly? You know I'm sure loads of people would volunteer to help with the clean up if they knew where to go, what to do.

Edited because that sounds silly, where to go=Mercy Hospital, Western Road area. But it doesn't seem appropiate to turn up at the Mercy hospital and offer to be a volunteer cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Go where exactly? You know I'm sure loads of people would volunteer to help with the clean up if they knew where to go, what to do.

Edited because that sounds silly, where to go=Mercy Hospital, Western Road area. But it doesn't seem appropiate to turn up at the Mercy hospital and offer to be a volunteer cleaner.

Well I was planing on heading to the housing area around the Mercy. Lots of elderly people living down there.

I m not gonna bother with any organization because there will more than likly be paper work and ****e like that when all I wanna do is help for a few hours

JimBob85 wrote: »
    I m not gonna bother with any organization because there will more than likly be paper work and ****e like that when all I wanna do is help for a few hours

Me too, somebody who knows more about what's needed might see this in a while:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Me too, somebody who knows more about what's needed might see this in a while:)

Last Friday I asked RedFM if they know anyone that needs help and all they said was 'great idea' but did not forward on any details to me :(

If you have water perhaps distribute it to the elderly / people in need? Or perhaps just see if there is anyone suffering that lives alone and needs company? Maybe pop in and see if they are doing, help them with their shopping etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

I am in a position where I can volunteer also, I am pretty much free all of next week. I am a qualified plumber and when the water comes on again there will be some plumbing issues that will need to be addressed.

When the water comes back on I'd like to be able to help out, call into houses to have a quick check, rid any air locks, answer any questions etc. I am sure the emergency services and the Co Council are doing a great job and doing all they can but the more people helping out the quicker you guys can return to normality.

I'm looking for contact details for any of the volunteer groups that could use a person with my experience, also any suggestions on how to make my way down at set myself up for the week to help out?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

I posted on a different thread - im an unemployed loss assessor who deals with flood claims. If anyone just needs some advice on what to do ie where to start.. Be more than willing to advise what to do. Just PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

If you go onto the volunteer Cork website click here You can search for volunteer vacancies in Cork.

Mahon CDP visit isolated older people, I'm sure if you contacted them they would be glad of your help. Respond & Cork alzheimer foundation are two more that I can see off hand that you could contact.

I used volunteer.ie about 3 months ago & it is very professional & I'm now volunteering with Age Action Ireland. Give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

philboy wrote: »
    If you go onto the volunteer Cork website click here You can search for volunteer vacancies in Cork.

Mahon CDP visit isolated older people, I'm sure if you contacted them they would be glad of your help. Respond & Cork alzheimer foundation are two more that I can see off hand that you could contact.

I used volunteer.ie about 3 months ago & it is very professional & I'm now volunteering with Age Action Ireland. Give it a go.

Thanks, just sent them an email.

• Advertisement

Nobody has requested help in any official capacity, apart from the Mercy Hospital who have requested money and have opened an account for donations.

Lots of people are willing and able to help. Hopefully if people keep this thread active it will lead to something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ddarraghh

i have two hands and a large van
    willing to help anyway i can
    cleaning moving supplies ect

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Just like the above poster. I'm also an unemployed loss assessor. Will be willing to help anyone out if they need information on how to lodge a valuation.

I was talking to a loss assessor yesterday and he said their office is receiving 8 claims per hour with this current cold snap! I can imagine that most of this people have never heard of a loss assessor and don't know what they do.

The loss assessor makes sure the client gets what he is entitled to; the loss adjuster is making sure the claimer is getting the minimum.

PM me.

Advertisement