Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital Work Experience in Ireland

Options
  • 21-11-2009 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right forum, if there's a better one I'd appreciate a mod moving it. :)

At the moment I'd get my eyes set on medicine. I'm interested in the human body, enjoy learning about diseases, etc. But I have absolutely no experience of what goes on in hospitals except the obvious. I also have no experience in dealing with distressing situation, etc.

Hence I'm looking for some place to take me over the summer to learn about the practical side of medicine in hospitals. Has anyone any ideas of going about this? I know it'll be more difficult as I have no contacts working within a hospital.

Comments

It'll be tough, I'm in 6th yr and applying to Medicine. I emailed nearly every general hospital in Dublin asking for a day of shadowing but only 3 replied, all saying no. If you're persistant you might get lucky, but unless you have contacts you'll have a hard time. They're generally unwilling to let people in for patient confidentiality reasons etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

Holles st. seem to take on TY students.
    Transition Year Students.
    Transition Year students are requested to place in writing their interest in attending the National Maternity Hospital. This is a very popular placement and places are limited so please consider writing at the commencement of transition year. Please outline clearly the dates that you would like to attend for work experience. This placement is strictly observational. Transition year coordinators are requested to provide evidence of insurance from the school and awareness of the arrangement of work experience.

Could the problem be that it will be during school holidays & you won't be insured?

Have you tried clinics like the VHI swiftcare etc?
    You could aslo try diagnostic imaging companies, there are plenty of them in Dublin & they would have a Radiologist, I know it's not general medicine but it's still experience with a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Laydee wrote: »
    Holles st. seem to take on TY students.

Could the problem be that it will be during school holidays & you won't be insured?

Have you tried clinics like the VHI swiftcare etc?
    You could aslo try diagnostic imaging companies, there are plenty of them in Dublin & they would have a Radiologist, I know it's not general medicine but it's still experience with a doctor.
    Thanks, that looks great. Where did you get that information? Also, I'm not in transition year, I'm in 5th year (out of 6) and was thinking of doing it next summer (summer 2010) before my Leaving Cert (June 2011). Is it TY only?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

I got it on the website under "elective work experience"
    I think one of the universities run a work placement day with a doctor, I'm not sure which one though.

Advertisement