Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood warning - Updated 02.12.2009 0400 hrs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Higher chance of B happening to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

If we're short a few sandbags we can head down to Clohessys bar.
    Piles of them protecting the local "landmark".

Half expecting to hear a whistle and then have a load of fellas jump out from behind with fixed bayonets charging at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I'm pretty sure they're blocking fire exits aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

concussion wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they're blocking fire exits aswell...

I was talking to someone who works there and they recieved a letter from city council, warning them about the high tide and the possibility of Ardnacrusha/Parteen Weir releasing more water and as for them blocking fire exits, they are moved away so they can become accessible when the place is open and placed back up when the place is closed

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Suil na Habhainn residents were given 6 sandbags each and when they asked the council man for more he said they could go to Shannon banks(Co Clare) and ask them for them.

I was down there today and the river at 10:30am was not very high. Trucks are coming and going from Shannon banks with lots of soil to build up the bank and there are many diggers working away at pace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lucygotago

We are in westbury the very end river is behind our house, Clare Council wont tell us a thing, tryed to ring Limerick council told not there problem as its Westbury, we have 4 sand bags up but im very worried as we are so close to it at the back with this high tide ment to rise up a metre! I wonder would anybody have any more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

lucygotago wrote: »
    We are in westbury...im very worried as we are so close to it at the back with this high tide ment to rise up a metre!

It's doubtful that you would experience a metre of tide at Westbury. This would entail that the high tide would swamp Limerick city centre. It's tidal up as far as Westbury alright - but the tidal difference isn't that significant in height as it might be down in Limerick docks. This is just my estimation. Maybe someone else can post more concrete info.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

We are in westbury the very end river is behind our house, Clare Council wont tell us a thing, tryed to ring Limerick council told not there problem as its Westbury, we have 4 sand bags up but im very worried as we are so close to it at the back with this high tide ment to rise up a metre! I wonder would anybody have any more info?

The only advice I can offer is to try and get some extra sandbags and put them in place.

I would have thought that areas that are actually tidal are where the big increases will be.

Looking through the announcements on the Clare coco website it seems that you should be ok as you are not mentioned as a high risk area. The webite seems to be updated every two days with info on floods, so there should be new info on it at some point today.

Just in case you rang the Clare County council direct, here is the helpline number for information etc for flooding.

1890-252-943

The emergency number if something happens during the night is 087-4169496

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

i wish i had a swimming pool in my back garden:mad:

Paulegend wrote: »
    i wish i had a swimming pool in my back garden:mad:

I strongly advise you to keep the smartarse remarks to yourself. either be more constructive or don't post here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

The high tide this evening is 5.6M (or close enough) and the highest tide for the rest of the week is Friday morning at 6.13M so it is more like 1/2 meter extra. Don't forget those are the tides at the dock not up in Westbury, the effect gets smaller the further you move the river but I don't know by how much.

If you are really worried and can't get more sandbags why not make your own sand bags, buy some bags of sand in B&Q and fill up a few old pillow cases or similar. Maybe follow the preevacuation plan as linked to in the first post if it helps put your mind as ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I think you'll find most builders merchants sold out of sand bags last week or so.
    I understnad sand bag walls will only slow down water getting to an area so that water can be pumped out. If you don't have a pump I see no point in using sand bags as a defence. I may be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ccyy123

We have decided not to go away on our holiday *sigh*. Just seems more logical stay since this week is supposed to be much worse than last week. Would have taken the chance if there's no water coming at the back, although it receded at the weekend and even if we did go it probably will be at the back of our minds the whole time, ending up not enjoying our holiday altogether. I suppose it's only small sacrifice compare to other people (still over 3 grands down the drain). Hopefully nothing eventful will happen this coming week. Just of out curiosity, how's Shannon banks doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MrFireBox

On Thursday the tide will be at its highest point. If Westbury was to flood the storm drains would flood first and then the estate. From what I can see the back of Westbury (Bruachlan etc) is higher than the rest of the estate so I'd say it is the lower parts of Westbury that need to be worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Any chance of flooding in the Greenpark/Log na gCapall area?

I don't know much about the lay of the land in this area, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Zamp

MrFireBox wrote: »
    From what I can see the back of Westbury (Bruachlan etc) is higher than the rest of the estate so I'd say it is the lower parts of Westbury that need to be worried.

I agree. It looks like the GAA field and the all-weather pitch are very low and could be first to get it. Bruachlan is considerably higher than most of Westbury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lucygotago

I wonder how is Bruachlan higher its at the very back i taught they would be the first to flood with the river behind them, i kind of taught the middle of westbury ie clonard ferndale.... would be ok an that the likes of Grianan and Bruachlan & Riverdale would be more prone to flooding, i am probably wrong just my observations from driving past everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭youthacademy

Zamp wrote: »
    I agree. It looks like the GAA field and the all-weather pitch are very low and could be first to get it. Bruachlan is considerably higher than most of Westbury.

Alot of time was spent building that bank on the gaa field in westbury with sandbags at the weekend and last week, fingers crossed....that all-weather pitch is brand new!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Zamp

The back of Westbury (Riverdale, Grianan & Bruachaln) was raised before any building took place. There were literally thousands of truck loads of filler brought in to raise the land. The best way to illusatrate this is if you drive to the back of Bruachlan and look at the level of the completed house versus the level of incomplete units. The finished units are a lot higher. The water would need to rise by close to 8ft to get up the driveways of the houses there.

Any chance of flooding in the Greenpark/Log na gCapall area?

I don't know much about the lay of the land in this area, sorry

Would take an enormous amount of flooding for it to get you there. most heavy water there drains down towards the Ballyclough creek and down towards the land between you and the Dock road. I am not a million miles from you and have family in your general area for years, and would know the area and the lands around it pretty well.

Plus where you are is higher up than many parts of the city and suburbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

How far is the river tidal? I presume it's not as far as ul anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

No tide in UL or Plassey no.
    Even the tide in Shannon Banks/Corbally is minimal variation in height. Nothing like the tide you would see at the coast.

How far is the river tidal? I presume it's not as far as ul anyway?

The Shannon is tidal to roughly about level with the Corbally baths. But at that point it is at the lower end of the tidal scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Haven Trooper

I agree with the guys talking about Westbury,

Yes there is definatly risk to the lower areas such as the Paddocks. Area,s like Clonard and the new houses behind also up high I think will be safe. The fact that we have that mud bank behind us In my opinon will make it less likely that any flooding will happen.

To be honest I think that the possibility of anything happening to Westbury is slim. I was of course worried at the time but Ive taken a few walks down by the houses below and then went on top of the mud bank behind and the water looks to have dropped alot compared to last week, and that the extra water expected will probally just raise the water to the same levels they were at last week again and no flooding happend last week in Westbury at all.

There is one thing however Id like to put forth, should the floods get through would there be a possibility of SEWAGE BACK-UP since the sewage plant is so close to the river??

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Zamp wrote: »
    The best way to illusatrate this is if you drive to the back of Bruachlan and look at the level of the completed house versus the level of incomplete units. .

Or just walk from the shop up to the church. Id be more worried about crap coming up the toilets and sinks.

Tides due to peak on Friday Morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Thu 3rd 00:20 0.49m L 06:52 6.10m H 12:48 0.35m L 19:20 5.96mH

Fri 4th 01:03 0.46m L 07:39 6.13m H 13:35 0.31m L 20:12 5.92mH

Sat 5th 01:52 0.48m L 08:31 6.06m H 14:30 0.32m L 21:04 5.80mH

Sun 6th 02:49 0.56m L 09:23 5.91m H 15:30 0.40m L 22:00 5.61mH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Thanks for that LB6.
    I'm trying to decide where and when to get best photos of possible breaches in shannon defences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

As you can see from the tide table, the high tides are at awkward times this week - your best bet is the 7.40am one on Friday morning - the evening ones will be hard to get shots of and the mornings will still be dark on Thursday. The breaches could be anywhere mentioned in the previous posts that people are worried about, Westbury, Corbally areas and over by the University. Looking forward to seeing your results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    It'll all be ok.

See

Advertisement