Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood warning - Updated 02.12.2009 0400 hrs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

AA roadwatch are reporting that ESB will be releasing water from Ardnacrusha at 4 PM this afternoon (you'd think there would be more widespread reporting of this and some more definitive place people could go online to get info!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Zoney wrote: »
    AA roadwatch are reporting that ESB will be releasing water from Ardnacrusha at 4 PM this afternoon (you'd think there would be more widespread reporting of this and some more definitive place people could go online to get info!)

http://www.lcc.ie/Water_Services/Floods/231109_Lower_River_Shannon_Flooding_Update.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Zoney wrote: »

There she goes!

Some people are going to get it. I fear for Westbury and Shannon Banks and the low lying houses in Parteen. UL's Clare campus might also be vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

topper75 wrote: »
    UL's Clare campus might also be vulnerable.

Most of the riverbank walk is now under water, bar about 200m near the old sports building, fishermans cottages being hit. Water very high and fast flowing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I work in an office on the Steamboat Quay, I phoned the corpo to ask them if they had any plans to give out sandbags for the Steamboat area, or if they think this area will be effected after the ESB release the water, and the answer was that they dont think Steamboat Quay will be effected, the effected area will be the Corbally area....but I had to call them to find htis out, no info avaialble on their website...this site (Limerick section of Boards.ie is proving yet again to be a great source of info on whats happening on the ground (or in the water!) in Limerick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The Blonde One

The level of water behind Westbury doesn't seem to have gone up since the 4 o clock release, although it is pretty high.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 douzer77

I live down the Mill Rd. When I rang the city council was told that there wasn't a flood alert for the Mill Rd, although Clare Council have issued a warning and as far as I can see our houses are lower than the Shannon Banks houses.
    Limerick city council won't be handing out any sand bags (although they have they in stock) until later.
    Sitting waiting for the river to come in the front door :eek:

douzer77 wrote: »
    I live down the Mill Rd. When I rang the city council was told that there wasn't a flood alert for the Mill Rd, although Clare Council have issued a warning and as far as I can see our houses are lower than the Shannon Banks houses.
    Limerick city council won't be handing out any sand bags (although they have they in stock) until later.
    Sitting waiting for the river to come in the front door :eek:

Mill Road is my concern too. Being lower down doesn't matter really. If that was the case, only Foynes need be worried. What matters is vulnerable banks. The Mill Rd. at least has some height in the river bank. Shannon Banks houses - not so much. Westbury had problems years back but I think some sort of defence was built.

The level of water behind Westbury doesn't seem to have gone up since the 4 o clock release, although it is pretty high.

It was only opened above O'Brien's bridge then. It'll take some time to pour down and build. Please God they'll have calculated all this right and damage will be minimised. They've had time to see it coming, unlike Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Sandbags being given out at the gaa club in wesbury this evening....not cofirmed by myself just what i heard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Could be a worrying night for a lot of people who live near the river. Could take a few hours for the full body of water to move down river, so will be dark at that stage and will make it harder to spot major changes in the water for some.

Hope it has been properly planned, and that it goes without causing serious damage.

Sandbags being given out at the gaa club in wesbury this evening....not cofirmed by myself just what i heard

The GAA field is right behind me, they're down there now shovelling sand into bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The swamp bar?????

Radcliffs these days. Cowey's Bar used to have the nick name The Swamp

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Just checked the tide times and 21:53 is the high tide time for Limerick city. So at least when they released the water at 16:00, the water levels in the tidal areas, which goes as far as just below the Corbally baths, would be about as low as they were going to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭TetsuoHashimoto

Passed over by annacotty, the river looks very high up!

Get out of there, its going to burst tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Is Rhebogue area safe enough or.....???I live just behind the Richmond Rugby field....could the Plassey bank there flood do ya think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Is Rhebogue area safe enough or.....???I live just behind the Richmond Rugby field....could the Plassey bank there flood do ya think?

id say your ok...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Called into the Clare offices at the Westbury Centre to be told that "ahhh, Westbury will be grand". When it was pointed out that there was a flood warning in place we were directed to teh pump house in Shannon Banks for sandbags. Nothing there. Were then directed to Parteen (nothing there) and have just been to the GAA pitch in Westbury. They have sand but have run out of bags with more expected at 6 apparently. The water in the fields behind Clonard is very high. It would need to go up another 2 - 3 feet to get into gardens but still feeling a touch nervous...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The ESB are not going to release water during the night, only during daylight hours.

ESB to confine weir water discharges to daylight hours
    The ESB has confirmed it will not release further water at the Parteen Weir this evening.

I do wonder if they know what they are doing, surely it would be better to release water on a continuous basis rather than in surges? The water is just going to build up again tonight, requiring surge releases tomorrow.

• Advertisement

A guy from the ESB was on the radio, they're not releasing any more water tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Sierra Oscar:

One would also hope their estimates of how much more water is going to arrive down the Shannon overnight is accurate/pessimistic enough.

I'm guessing that there is a window in the small hours of the morning to release water at low tide again, but for this decision to restrict releases to daylight hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Be advised, I have updated post #1 of the thread, and added a few useful links to make finding info a little easier.

Be advised, I have updated post #1 of the thread, and added a few useful links to make finding info a little easier.

Great idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭simon333

id say your ok...

Looks to be ok so far in Rhebogue. Canal is running very fast, but at least that's a good thing if it's taking some water away :) High tide is at 11pm tonight, we'll see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

Water running fast too out in UL and still gradually rising

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Im in Westbury, should i be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Post #1 updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Get out of there, its going to burst tonight

Anyone out by Annacotty, have stuff at a property at The Square, need i go check???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

At the Lough Derg damn prior to the sectioin running to the power station it was overflowing at 5PM. Saw it with my own eyes. I had to pull the car over to see for myself. All the lights were coming on at the place so they must be releasing water from there soon meaning they will have to release more water from the power station section.

Advertisement