Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood warning - Updated 02.12.2009 0400 hrs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The Blonde One

Westbury seems to be at the same level as a few hours ago,from what I can make out in the dark! Here's hoping it stays that way..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Westbury seems to be at the same level as a few hours ago,from what I can make out in the dark! Here's hoping it stays that way..

forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The Blonde One

And ever!

mwahahahahahahaha!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

The river in Annacotty has come into our back garden - been slowly creeping up all day apparently. The council dropped sand bags down around 8pm. Thank god its a big enough field at the back of the house!
    The Mountshannon Road in Annacotty has been closed.

• Advertisement

hows the inner city by clanys strand and the board walk and such???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

All ok down O'callaghan's and Clancy's Strand - just back in the door from taking some pics! Seemingly it's supposed to be worse come Wed night according to one of the rescuers that's just finished shift in Shannon Banks - that the heavy waters have just hit Athlone and will be down here by Wed night! - Just lovely! :D

dam hope it doesnt get too bad:eek: hopefully they have enough rescuers

knowing that that may be a possibility - I'd prefer to think those people would rather be known and PDA's - Potential Disaster Averters - rather than rescuers. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Is Rhebogue a flood prone area, considering its on the bank of the canal?(I'm not from Limerick so forgive my ignorance)How concerned should I be??(if at all?)
    thanks

• Advertisement

Pics

It was pouring and I was frozen ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭simon333

Is Rhebogue a flood prone area, considering its on the bank of the canal?(I'm not from Limerick so forgive my ignorance)How concerned should I be??(if at all?)
    thanks

Well the answer is yes, since parts of it is so low. In 1990 and 1999 it looks like the area between Dromoe estate and the canal got flooded. Houses have been built on that field since (Drominbeg estate).

Anyway, take a look at http://www.floodmaps.ie to check out your own specific area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Latest news from RTÉ is that 20 people were evacuated from Shannon Banks last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

From Breaking News:
    24/11/2009 - 08:18:08
    Floodwaters are still rising in the Shannon Banks area on the outskirts of Limerick city.

Up to 50 people were forced to leave their homes last night as the area was put on high alert.

The army, assisted by the Fire Services, Civil Defence and local authority staff have delivered thousands of sandbags to help in the effort.

The army is maintaining a presence in the area this morning.

There are fears the situation could get even worse, with very high tides forecast for tomorrow night and Thursday night.

simon333 wrote: »
    Well the answer is yes, since parts of it is so low. In 1990 and 1999 it looks like the area between Dromoe estate and the canal got flooded. Houses have been built on that field since (Drominbeg estate).

Anyway, take a look at http://www.floodmaps.ie to check out your own specific area.

That where I live.....Drominbeg!But at least no ones being giving us sandbags so hopefully that means they dont think it will flood...I'll hav my fingers crossed for the next few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

Tide times for Limerick dock are here. The projected high tides for the next few days are relatively low.

Sorry did not see that in the first post :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

That where I live.....Drominbeg!But at least no ones being giving us sandbags so hopefully that means they dont think it will flood...I'll hav my fingers crossed for the next few days!

ah,you'll be ok

Are you renting?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

concussion wrote: »
    Latest news from RTÉ is that 20 people were evacuated from Shannon Banks last night.

I was in Shannon banks this morning and only residents were being left in. My mother lives there.

Sensationalism is the word here. The army and civil defense are sitting down reading newspaper and eating sandwhichs waiting for high tide which is not for another 10 hours.

jackncoke wrote: »
    ah,you'll be ok

Are you renting?

No, it's my own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I disagree...20 isn't a large number at all based on the amount of people in the area. Sensationalism would be reporting that evacuations (technically true) were underway without saying the vast majority were still in in their homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

No, it's my own house.

You'll be ok, Im sure alot of us could volunteer here to help ya out if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

It's looking lke the ESB will not need to release any more water at the moment as water levels have stabilised both Ardnacrushna and in Lough Derg. They are reassessing the situation at the dams at 2pm.

I live in Shannonbanks and was at home with my young baby yesterday, if it wasnt for a neighbour calling to me and telling me after lunch that there was a flood alert and that the ESB were releasing water I would not have known!:mad: When my husband arrived home all the sandbags were gone and we had to go get our own bags and go to Westbury for sand......the army arrived after 9pm and did a great job sandbagging the banks and pumping the water from the street which was at that stage like a river....they did great work, cant praise them enough but as for proper warnings....:( there werent any......still have no real idea if we are safe or not....car is parked a mile away and feel a bit isolated tbh.....So on the positive side we were lucky enough to escape our house being flooded but Im not happy with the County Council response or their attempts to inform residents........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

nasty out in killaloe right now, been raining all day so far. The concrete jetti by the river is partially underwater and buckling under the pressure. Not sure if its true or not but I was told the Gardai are monitoring the ballina - killaoe bridge for structural safety as the water level is so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

as for proper warnings....:( there werent any......but Im not happy with the County Council response or their attempts to inform residents........

I got my fingers crossed for you and anybody at risk there. Fair play to the army.

I don't think it is fair in the circumstances to criticise for lack of warnings though.

All local and nation radio stations mentioned the risk in their hourly news bulletin. All the main Irish news websites carried the threat to the lower Shannon from the Parteen Weir release, and it was on the RTÉ television news as well.

The local authorities don't have the personnel to go and knock on everyone's door with a personal message for each household. No country in the world provides that sort of service. The best the authorities can do is get their message out on the news bulletins. Stay tuned and hopefully we'll ride this one out. Thanks to all posters for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I live in Shannonbanks and was at home with my young baby yesterday, if it wasnt for a neighbour calling to me and telling me after lunch that there was a flood alert and that the ESB were releasing water I would not have known!:mad: When my husband arrived home all the sandbags were gone and we had to go get our own bags and go to Westbury for sand......the army arrived after 9pm and did a great job sandbagging the banks and pumping the water from the street which was at that stage like a river....they did great work, cant praise them enough but as for proper warnings....:( there werent any......still have no real idea if we are safe or not....car is parked a mile away and feel a bit isolated tbh.....So on the positive side we were lucky enough to escape our house being flooded but Im not happy with the County Council response or their attempts to inform residents........

The Clare county council had warnings up for the Partenn, Westbury and Shannon Banks areas a few days before the water hit in fairness to them.

Limerick CoCo have been slow in terms of getting warnings up etc., but Clare FM and the Clare CoCo have been quick with the warnings and lists of places where to get sandbags etc.

Limerick CoCo will be pretty useless to you (and to many others) for info as you are in Clare, plus the info popping up on the Limerick CC website yeasterday was just a copy and paste of what was on the Clare website a few days earlier.. Had to laugh at the Limerick side of things on Monday, when the mayor came out and said that he had not ben consulted on the water being let out at the dam, and then the head of the relevant department in the city council came out and said that they had been contacted a few days prior to that about it. It just showed how disorganised the Limerick lot were with this. Although for Mayor Kiely it was just another chance to get into the paper.

Delighted to hear that your home did not get damaged though, and I hope that no water gets in over the next few days.

There are a few good links in the first post in this thread, including the Clare County Council website, it might be better to keep an eye on that site rather than the Limerick ones, as it will most likely give you the info you need quicker from here in.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's bucketting down outside again, just what we need right now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Kess73 wrote: »
    Had to laugh at the Limerick side of things on Monday, when the mayor came out and said that he had not ben consulted on the water being let out at the dam, and then the head of the relevant department in the city council came out and said that they had been contacted a few days prior to that about it. It just showed how disorganised the Limerick lot were with this. Although for Mayor Kiely it was just another chance to get into the paper.

It seems to be one blunder after another with this guy. He appears to be massively incompetent. The sad thing is I'm not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭youthacademy

any update of the state of affairs in clonlara, I heard even more people were evacuated last night? Any water reaching the road at the hump bridge by the duck?

• Advertisement

Well to be honest perhaps Ive been a bit preoccupied with the new baby to hear and/or see the warnings etc....still it did come as quite a shock when all the neighbours suddenly had sandbags in their fronts and their cars were gone!:eek: The place is a hive of activity here as the rain is chucking down and they are working hard to pump the water but we have been warned to prepare for the worst just in case......hopefully they have it under control now and we will be ok.....cant help but worry looking out my back is a swimming pool and out the front is starting to get very puddly too......will keep my eyes peeled and ears wide open today though!! Thanks for all updates everyone!;)

Advertisement