Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood warning - Updated 02.12.2009 0400 hrs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Web_radar.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 36 swim

No extra water to be released at Parteen today

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 01:13 PM

Clare County Council has confirmed that the ESB will not be increasing the release of water at Parteen today.

The council also announced that, for structural reasons, the bridge at Sixmilebridge Clare is closed.

Diversions are in place. On the R471 Shannon to Sixmilebridge road, a diversion is in place at Ministers Cross along the L3040 to Bunratty.

On the R470 Newmarket on Fergus to Sixmilebridge road, there is a diversion along the L3020. On the R470, a diversion is in place through L7024 at Annamore Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Well to be honest perhaps Ive been a bit preoccupied with the new baby to hear and/or see the warnings etc....still it did come as quite a shock when all the neighbours suddenly had sandbags in their fronts and their cars were gone!:eek: The place is a hive of activity here as the rain is chucking down and they are working hard to pump the water but we have been warned to prepare for the worst just in case......hopefully they have it under control now and we will be ok.....cant help but worry looking out my back is a swimming pool and out the front is starting to get very puddly too......will keep my eyes peeled and ears wide open today though!! Thanks for all updates everyone!;)

I wonder would it be a good idea just to move somethings upstairs? Just in case.

I mean electrical things like the tv or a hifi system.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I wonder would it be a good idea just to move somethings upstairs? Just in case.

I mean electrical things like the tv or a hifi system.

Do you think so Kess? Im beginning to worry now as all the neighbours are putting more sandbags and stuff out .... yet Im not hearing any further alerts.....I can see the Shannon from my front and it is rising I have to say.....if anyone hears anything before me re : Shannonbanks please post!! Thanks

Do you think so Kess? Im beginning to worry now as all the neighbours are putting more sandbags and stuff out .... yet Im not hearing any further alerts.....I can see the Shannon from my front and it is rising I have to say.....if anyone hears anything before me re : Shannonbanks please post!! Thanks

I have never been in your situation, but I was just thinking that if I was, and there was even a slight chance of water getting into the ground floor, that I would move some stuff upstairs.

For me it would be tv, blu ray player, pc, cds, blu rays/dvds, maybe anything in my coat press, vacuum cleaner etc.

I would also try and get extra sandbags, and have things like wellies bought for everyone in the house, and buy some extra bottled water, maybe the 4 litre bottles or bigger, and make sure that you have torches and good batteries in them.

At least then if the worst did happen overnight, you would not lose as much stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyplant

Go and have a quick word with your neighbours Ammers, I'm sure they will help you with lifting stuff and sandbags if they know you need help.

daisyplant wrote: »
    Go and have a quick word with your neighbours Ammers, I'm sure they will help you with lifting stuff and sandbags if they know you need help.
    The army just arrived there with more sand bags and stuff and Ive more at my door now they couldnt tell me much though other than it was a case of 'if it rises at least you're house is as protected as it can be'.....cant praise them enough they have been great, very helpful....and some of the neighbours too....lets hope it will stop raining soon and the bloody Shannon stops rising!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

How would I get my hands on say 4/5 sandbags? im in Westbury and it aint too bad at the moment (was up most of the night watching things) but am wondering about the next few days.

Ta :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    How would I get my hands on say 4/5 sandbags? im in Westbury and it aint too bad at the moment (was up most of the night watching things) but am wondering about the next few days.

Ta :)

I think there being given out at the Gaa field??

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

I think there being given out at the Gaa field??

Ill go down for a nose, thanks.

Just noticed my electric shower wont work, anyone else around Westbury/S.B. have this problem or am I just having a bad day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The Blonde One

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Ill go down for a nose, thanks.

Just noticed my electric shower wont work, anyone else around Westbury/S.B. have this problem or am I just having a bad day?

As far as I know they're out of bags at the GAA field, but they have sand, so you'll need to source your own bags.

My shower is working fine :)

Edit: They've gotten a delivery of more sandbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jimbo007

Hi,

does anyone know if drominbeg is in any danger of flooding tonight?

thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

From RTE News
    water levels on the River Shannon are at their highest since records began.

And they are still rising around Athlone Banagher Portumna .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭simon333

jimbo007 wrote: »
    Hi,

does anyone know if drominbeg is in any danger of flooding tonight?

thanks

Historically, you are on a flood plane. Also the water it high at the back of the estate. However, the city council have said they expect no real flooding threat in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Irishtimes @ 18:25 - County Clare in Emergency Situation.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1124/breaking72.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Some Flooding in UL today...

Pics of from last night and early today can be seen here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/cgallagh...loodingInUL02#
    and here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/davidjcryan/101_FUJI#

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

more pics

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Mossin wrote: »

and here:

linkey brokey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

All quiet in Shannonbanks tonite....All I could hear when I stood outside my front door was the whirring of the raised water of the river....its not raining and the army have left so hopefully that is a good sign.....heres hoping for an uneventful nite tonite! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Clare campus in UL is very very close to the buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Mossin wrote: »

and here:

Great photos, especially the one of the Black Bridge :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

zuroph wrote: »
    Clare campus in UL is very very close to the buildings.

yes the clare campus in UL is very close to buildings!!!! :P:cool:

(couldnt help myslef)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Not limerick, but i heard that the Sixmilebridge is now just Sixmile

Not limerick, but i heard that the Sixmilebridge is now just Sixmile

Yeah the bridge is meant to have been either knocked or partially knocked by the floodwaters hitting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yeah the bridge is meant to have been either knocked or partially knocked by the floodwaters hitting it.

I was out there on Monday midday and it was bad but the bridge was still open. You could not see the arches under the bridge at all. On the North side of the bridge the water was just building up and only a certain amount could pass underneath. I would imagine that the pressure was intense on the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Anyone know if the Clare FM midnight local news is live or pre recorded?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

don't know for sure - sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Anyone know if the Clare FM midnight local news is live or pre recorded?

Pre-recorded @ 10pm and midnight, unless there's something absolutely massive happening, but the floods might qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 gerw88

near the groody roundabout early on monday...

I haven't been home yet today, so I might just pick myself up some sandbags on the way. Here's hoping...

Advertisement