Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood warning - Updated 02.12.2009 0400 hrs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Liam Carroll's abandoned building site in the background really compliments the image given that part of what caused the problem was all the developments over the last 20 or so years.

Just posted these in the UL forum so may aswell throw them up here aswell.

The River Walk
    D21BEB29A1E64E29BCF5D79B14AC6A6C-500.jpg

The Black Bridge
    3C673689CD494EE3841F1EB3AD34035A-500.jpg

38661CD6ED8646058EEC0EEAC1E8AFE2-500.jpg

Drumroe Lake
    CD149B653C85499DA3709B25E235089B-500.jpg

The view from the old mill
    713E3D07953A480FB015EED41E4ED2F3-500.jpg

E66717003A21489B85735CE046C988D4-500.jpg

Drumroe at Night
    0DB78F79F4034FB5821BC4D8A1A0F1E6-500.jpg

Flooded Roundabout(Now Closed)
    83C33FE5DACF41DDA90DDFCC06B34054-500.jpg

The Living Bridge
    C087AD55C38543A8AEDDAA8134947D56-500.jpg

Quiet nite in Shannonbanks thank God!:D No flooding this morning on my street Horrah!:) Though listening to Live 95Fm this morning I hear that the weekend is to bring high tides and flooding so Im holding on to my sandbags for dear life:p Will there be an end to all this soon? Please let there be.........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Later tonight as well Ammers - sorry

Mulcaire at Annacotty still very high and flowing fast. Plassey tech park roundabout heavily flooded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭PaddyThai

Brilliant photos Deleted User.
    Hope to see more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I know that the floodwaters from up north have to work thier way past us but does anyone have a rough estimate of when we can expect the water to start to recede?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

How is Shannon banks today? Im in west Cork right now and it has receeded but planning on visiting my mothers house in Shannon banks tonight.

Berty wrote: »
    How is Shannon banks today? Im in west Cork right now and it has receeded but planning on visiting my mothers house in Shannon banks tonight.
    SEE MY POST ABOVE BERTY - SO FAR SO GOOD 2DAY:)

SEE MY POST ABOVE BERTY - SO FAR SO GOOD 2DAY:)

I hear more water is to be released from Adrancrusha.

Any truth in it and do you think it will have an effect on Shannon banks?

In all honesty though, is the only real area of Shannon banks affected the town houses at the end of the estate? They were the only houses shown and mentioned on the news last night.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Westbury is still waiting....but i fear it will arrive. The river was higher this morning than i have seen it all week. The Bruchlain area is under serious threat now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I remember the scout den used to get flooded there from time to time when I was a kid. How planning permission was given to build that Hampstead place at the back of Shannon Banks, I'll never know. You don't have to be an engineer with that one.

topper75 wrote: »
    I remember the scout den used to get flooded there from time to time when I was a kid. How planning permission was given to build that Hampstead place at the back of Shannon Banks, I'll never know. You don't have to be an engineer with that one.

Ha, Imagine that wodden shed on stilts now? Noah's ark more like it. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

From RTE News just now . Start Planning
    Elsewhere, water levels on the Shannon at Lough Ree have risen to crisis levels. Overnight the level increased by 8cm according to Waterways Ireland. At Athlone Lock, water levels are now 50cm over the highest level on record. Levels there increased by 6cm overnight.

Berty wrote: »
    I hear more water is to be released from Adrancrusha.

Any truth in it and do you think it will have an effect on Shannon banks?

In all honesty though, is the only real area of Shannon banks affected the town houses at the end of the estate? They were the only houses shown and mentioned on the news last night.

The most effected areas were Hampstead and the houses directly above them.....however the next two streets above them (including where I live) had to pumped or would have been flooded too......same with the street directly beside the riverside....they are still pumping hte water so hopefully that will keep it at bay. Still looking fine here so far, havent heard anything yet about them releasing more water, I hope now!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

The most effected areas were Hampstead and the houses directly above them.....however the next two streets above them (including where I live) had to pumped or would have been flooded too......same with the street directly beside the riverside....they are still pumping hte water so hopefully that will keep it at bay. Still looking fine here so far, havent heard anything yet about them releasing more water, I hope now!:(

according to the rte website:
    The ESB has released a statement regarding the River Shannon.
    It says water levels in Lough Derg have increased significantly overnight to an all time high due to heavy rainfall.
    The discharge of water from Parteen Weir must be increased today. The total rate of water discharge from Parteen Weir is not expected to exceed the rate set on Monday.
    However it is expected to cause increased flood levels downstream of Parteen Weir by an estimated three inches as it is discharging into an already flooded area.

Roadend wrote: »
    according to the rte website:
    oh well.....I guess I will just keep and eye on things....do you know what time they are releasing the water? Will move my car away if I see the water creeping back onto the street......

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

No idea but as far as I'm aware there is supposed to be some higher than usual tide tonight so it could cause problems then.

Thanks, will move car later then and keep the sandbags where they are....oh for some sunshine!

Just heard on news Westbury and Shannon banks are going to be hit this afternoon by an extra 3 inches!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Just heard on news Westbury and Shannon banks are going to be hit this afternoon by an extra 3 inches!

That's about this much:

_
    _

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

The high tide for tonight is not supposed to be to large:
    Thu 26th 01:13 4.53m H

Next week they go back over 5M and up as high as 6M on Thursday.

I took a few pics around The Mill Road and near the entrance to Shanon Banks. There are a couple of houses right at the bottom of the Mill Road and if they were mine I would be moving all the electrical goods to the top floor.

Escape route:
    C240087A882C471B8160D4058170937A-500.jpg

Opposite the Mill Road:
    DEFA443FDE1544108AC8855747A5F09F-500.jpg

River walkway:
    4BA516146413427B8DF3A84CB6D6121F-500.jpg

Shanon banks from the Mill Road:
    25A1B7DB8CC644109CACB6766B4A0B10-500.jpg

Shanon Banks:
    7BD4F8654E7241A390F1EFA069CDD69B-500.jpg

My uncle and aunt live on mill road - wonder how bad it is down there

My uncle and aunt live on mill road - wonder how bad it is down there

My friend has a house in Suil na Habhainn and its right facing the river but they have a large bank in front of their house which was always there. Its around 3-4 foot I would guess but she says it was right up to the top of it last night about to come over the top.

They are slightly worried because any release from the Ardnacrusha release will hit them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    That's about this much:

_
    _

Wow - that means a third of my laptop's screen will be flooded - better move upstairs.

Excellent info about the decision making process of when they open Parteen Weir in
    a PDF from the Inland Waterways Newsletter

So, Ardnacrusha would have been at full throughput [400 tonnes/s] for a good while before now, but when that isn't enough, and the lake level backs up unacceptably high, they open up Parteen weir.
    Once Parteen opens, it empties the river faster than it can be filled by the outflow from Lough Derg through Killaloe... So even during massive floods, there'd be no point in leaving Parteen open for an extended period [you'd just cause Killaloe to bottom out, without any additional relief to the level of the lake]

As at present, when they need to open/close Parteen to manage the level of Lough Derg, I'd guess they synchronise it with the tide, so that the excess water downstream has somewhere to go besides into people's houses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Full Moon is the 2nd of December ( weds) .

If you get a stiff westerly up the estuary / low pressure over Limerick / full moon = spring tide during next week then that lot allied with the Water which is STILL RISING above Athlone and is at record heights in Athlone and north of it means....I would not like to be low down in Limerick if all that comes together.

As this confluence of events ( wind and pressure only hypothetical but flood and spring tide are guaranteed ) is some days away , START PLANNING NOW . Move stuff over the weekend. Arrange storage and van this week .

http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/moontides/
    Spring Tides
    When the moon is full or new, the gravitational pull of the moon and sun are combined. At these times, the high tides are very high and the low tides are very low. This is known as a spring high tide. Spring tides are especially strong tides (they do not have anything to do with the season Spring). They occur when the Earth, the Sun, and the Moon are in a line. The gravitational forces of the Moon and the Sun both contribute to the tides. Spring tides occur during the full moon and the new moon.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Full Moon is the 2nd of December ( weds) .

If you get a stiff westerly up the estuary / low pressure over Limerick / full moon = spring tide during next week then that lot allied with the Water which is STILL RISING above Athlone and is at record heights in Athlone and north of it means....I would not like to be low down in Limerick if all that comes together.

As this confluence of events ( wind and pressure only hypothetical but flood and spring tide are guaranteed ) is some days away , START PLANNING NOW . Move stuff over the weekend. Arrange storage and van this week .

http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/moontides/

Contact SpongeBob removals for more info :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

ttcomet wrote: »

Escape route:
    C240087A882C471B8160D4058170937A-500.jpg

Escape?! You'd be passing Scattery Island at a rate of knots as soon as you pushed off. :D Frying pan to fire jumping into that kind of boat in that kind of river.
    ttcomet wrote: »

Shanon banks from the Mill Road:
    25A1B7DB8CC644109CACB6766B4A0B10-500.jpg

That isn't Shannon Banks in that photo. They are the houses at the back of Fairyfield in Parteen. They should be high up enough to be untouched. Just like the 2012 movie, the richies go unscathed.;)
    yaledo wrote: »
    For the uninitiated - In short, Parteen weir is alongside Ardnacrusha.

I'm uninitiated - but you have mixed up Parteen Weir with Parteen village. Parteen Weir is not alongside Ardnacrusha at all; it lies 7 miles north of Ardnacrusha between Killaloe and O'Brien's bridge.

I'm uninitiated - but you have mixed up Parteen Weir with Parteen village. Parteen Weir is not alongside Ardnacrusha at all; it lies 7 miles north of Ardnacrusha between Killaloe and O'Brien's bridge.

That makes a lot more sense. I was wondering how water released at Ardnacrusha would impact so highly on Corbally when you consider where the water from Ardnacrusha re-enters the river system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

& I felt like I was initiated after reading the linked document - clearly not!
    Thanks for the correction, I'll edit that post to remove the misinformation - sorry.

Advertisement