Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood warning - Updated 02.12.2009 0400 hrs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

yaledo wrote: »
    & I felt like I was initiated after reading the linked document - clearly not!
    Thanks for the correction, I'll edit that post to remove the misinformation - sorry.

No apologies needed. I don't know why they confusingly named it Parteen Weir. The floods are a nasty geography lesson for us all. When all is settled, head up there someday and look at the dam at Parteen Weir. You could walk along the canal bank at O'Brien's Bridge. It is interesting to see the height separation of two large bodies of water by some metres. Almost seems like a trick of the eye. The canal and Shannon proper meet again at the same level just before Limerick city at an area known locally as 'the Point'.

The Shannon is a mighty, awesome river. She begins a great journey up in the hills of Ulster. We should be proud in Limerick to be living at her last fording point. She drains 10,500 km2 of land (think about the volume of rain you could collect over just 1 km2!!!). She is the longest river in Ireland. Britain is a bigger island of course, but has no river to match the Shannon in length. Water travelling down from Athlone in her middle section takes two full days to reach the Derg basin above Limerick. The Shannon Hydroelectric Scheme is over 80 years old but in its day it was the biggest engineering project in Europe. The ambition to harness such a mighty beast is still impressive today.

2m672p1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I heard on RTE that the Shannon as at unmanagable crisis levels, I'm not from the area, but hasn't it already burst its banks? What could potentially happen now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Rather alarming photograph on the breakingnews.ie story (here) of presumably Parteen Weir - clearly visible burst banks on the Shannon immediately after the weir, but also on the lake above.

I really wonder is the Limerick City Council statement appropriate - about not expecting flooding in the city administrative area - can they really be so sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭youthacademy

If the upstream towns of Athlone and Portumna are under serious pressure, which I think they are at the moment by all accounts, that probably means clonlara, shannonbanks, etc are going to face a tough few days ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was in Shannon banks around 20 minutes ago and other than 3 soldiers, a busy body with a high vis vest one(local wacko), the local councillor, one street sweeper, two tractors with tankers to suck up water there was not much else to see.

There was no water other than residual puddles on the ground but they were not letting anybody down to Hampstead park at all.

We were of course able to stand at the end of the riverside footpath where the water was right up to it hugging along the sewerage plant fence.

It looks like at the water levels of 15:45 that it is manageable. How Hampstead park will fare out when the water is released upstream is another question.

My friend who was with me was over talking to his other friend sitting in his car. This was the same guy who was on the news/papers with his newborn. He was told that they would not be allowed near their house for at least another 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

:eek:

parteenweirfloodnov25pa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

cancan wrote: »
    :eek:

parteenweirfloodnov25pa.jpg

I looked at that wrong the first time and thought the water was on the Killaloe side.

Looking at it again, it is on the O Briensbridge side.

No fishing for me there for a long time methinks.

One of my favourite beats is to the left of the thick clump of trees in the centre of the pic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

It looks like if it goes much higher it will be flowing out over the dam.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Itsdacraic wrote: »

As I said the other day(Monday) it was overflowing when I saw it. Strange sight. You can understand why they MUST release water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I assume that the releases have been to prevent this happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fletch46

any word on how Annacotty is fairing? The bridge looked under a lot of pressure yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

And this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Haven Trooper

Hey,
    I live in clonard the higher part of westbury so to speak, but i,m still worried about the floods as anyone would be living in the lower area,s. westbury is still in on the flood alert list dispite the waters in shannon banks recceding today.

is westbury really likely to experiance flooding at this stage? i mean we do have a mud bank behind us, something shannon banks dosnt have (which perhaps should in my opinon)

and also, i dont know if my concerns are justified but the artlunkard bridge, is very old and the pillars are now underwater. could the bridge be at risk of closing due to the floods at this stage of the flood warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The Blonde One

The bank in Westbury seems to be holding up. If the water does come in, it may be through the fields in Gillogue, rather than the bank bursting. That would first affect the 80s in Bruachlan. I'd say you're okay in Clonard.

The bank in Westbury seems to be holding up. If the water does come in, it may be through the fields in Gillogue, rather than the bank bursting. That would first affect the 80s in Bruachlan. I'd say you're okay in Clonard.

Yeah, i thought as much, still it is pretty worrying. id say we are the only ones in clonard with a few sandbags haha. still nobody really knows what to do when they first hear of a possible crisis coming to there area until the stop and think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ccyy123

In the same situation here, was really worried yesterday since I have (or anyone in my family) ever experience anything like this before. I was talking to my friends and they said if there is a flood, sandbags are not going to help. Don't expect any serious flooding in Clonard, but the field(lake at the moment) at the back is looking dangerous! I am more worried regarding the roads being closed and being isolated. Mmmm, really need to get food tomorrow.

This whole situation is typical of Limerick City Council. Every other county had their flood a week ago and yet here in Limerick we still have none. All we keep hearing is that it'll be a few days, or wait till the spring tides etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ccyy123

Very true, Clare county council seems to be doing a better job that its counterpart. I am suppose to be travelling next week, don't know what's going to happen now, need to ring up to see if my travel insurance covers it.
    It's lashing outside now and hopefully the artlunkard bridge wouldn't be close anytime soon.
    Does anyone know what's the situation at Shannon Banks at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Some shots from UL late afternoon today

More shots from UL.

NEW MEDICAL SCHOOLON cLARE SIDE.
    l
    LIMERICK SIDE OF BRIDGE.

SUBMERGED BRIDGE WITH BRAVE MAN WALKING ON IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

This whole situation is typical of Limerick City Council. Every other county had their flood a week ago and yet here in Limerick we still have none. All we keep hearing is that it'll be a few days, or wait till the spring tides etc etc.

Would you rather that the councils released all the excess water in one go like what happened in Cork? Or are you angry that it Limerick are behind the flooding times? :rolleyes: IMHO they've done the right thing in slow release of water and has minimised the damage in households.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Heres a website following the water levels around limerick city(past and current) and the surrounding areas. It's up to date with the current floods:

irishwaterwayhistory

scroll down the link to see the Limerick floods

Would you rather that the councils released all the excess water in one go like what happened in Cork? Or are you angry that it Limerick are behind the flooding times? :rolleyes: IMHO they've done the right thing in slow release of water and has minimised the damage in households.

It was a joke to try and lighten the mood, I didn't expect anyone to take it seriously.
    I'll make sure to give advance warning of any further jokes for those who struggle with the concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

It was a joke to try and lighten the mood, I didn't expect anyone to take it seriously.
    I'll make sure to give advance warning of any further jokes for those who struggle with the concept.

Sorry I've obviously had a total humour by-pass :o I'm a bit tired so please accept my apology. I'm heading over to the Sunshine & Lollipops thread to shake my brain up!!!

I kind of hate the way there is lack of information on specific areas. On clare county council website it only notifes of the flood warnings for the areas concerned but has more information for the areas ALREADY effected. Ive been coming on boards.ie to find out what the situation is regarding shannon banks and westbury.

I dont know if its right to let down my guard, as the situation isnt over yet but so far nothing has happend, house isnt flooded, lower westbury looks fine. Is anything going to happen in the comming days (not that i want anything to happen of course)

Ive just learnt that some residence have been evacuated from their homes in ardnacrusha as a precaution and that springfield in clonara is in serious danger of flooding over night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Ive just learnt that some residence have been evacuated from their homes in ardnacrusha as a precaution and that springfield in clonara is in serious danger of flooding over night

Where did you hear this? I mean Ardnacrusha is not near the Shannon river proper. The canal is not under pressure - why would they evacuate?

topper75 wrote: »
    Where did you hear this? I mean Ardnacrusha is not near the Shannon river proper. The canal is not under pressure - why would they evacuate?

Yeah sorry i should have put a link to where i saw it. it was on rte news.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1125/weather.html
    It might be a bit old now

The ESB has confirmed it is to release more water from Parteen Weir.

In a statement, the company said they'll be increasing the levels released throughout the morning by up to 8%.

The extra water could increase levels downstream of Parteen by up to three inches, prompting fears of more flooding at Clonlara, Westbury and Shannon

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/esb-to-release-more-water-from-parteen-weir-435851.html#ixzz0XxWSwkJ2

They seemed to manage releasing more than this ok yesterday so hopefully this shouldn't cause too many issues today.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was looking at the weather on Metcheck, and it looks like its only showery until tomorrow night (looks like 7mm due to fall between 9 and midnight on Friday night)

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

think things might worsen again early next week. heavy rainfall forecast for tues / wed next week along with higher tides.

Advertisement