Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood warning - Updated 02.12.2009 0400 hrs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I drove from Shannon banks out through O'Briensbridge heading for Newport and O'Briendsbridge just looks like somebody doubled the width of the river.

In some places it is 4 times as wide. The arches in the bridge can still be seen. Its not as high as it was recently.

I noticed the boat is gone from the river. People are living on that boat years but its gone..........................:confused:

I thought the Shannon in the City was pretty low considering all the flooding upriver earlier today.

Looking up towards the Lough Derg lock gates its basically a disaster area.

The Shannon search and rescue was also circulating above the O'Briendbridge area.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waffle

but he said it is the families themselves who pay.
    No, they are not paying themselves. I'm not sure who is, probably council. I'm not sure how it works for insurance purposes, as houses are not flooded. Thankfully.

Aidric wrote: »
    Excellent point. Reading the Limerick Independent during the week, one was left with a sense that the city was on the brink of lockdown. Such sensationalist reporting is irresponsible and reflects badly on the integrity of the publication.
    I have to agree on sensationalising things I have to say.....I am all for being informed and being kept informed of any flood threat etc especially as I am living only feet from the river but some reports had me very alarmed I have to say.....that is, until I saw the reports from other areas where peoples homes and livlihoods have been ruined......that is real tragedy....in comparison to those people we have been very lucky indeed.....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

People need to be less sensationalist - so far (all things considered) we've got off pretty lightly and there is every reason to believe that things will begin to improve now.

Except that there is also significant reason to believe the worst of the flooding is yet to come in Limerick. Hopefully it won't but people need to prepare for the worst. What kind of reaction do you think there will be if the councils and papers say the worst is probably over and a week from now more homes do flood and people's possessions get destroyed when they could have saved them if they hadn't ignored the negative possibilities?

People need to remember that the best way to live life, in every aspect, is to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Live 95 FM news saying that Limerick City Council will be distributing sand bags on the Mill Road.
    They mentioned Meadowbrook & Suil na hAbhann:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

Oh balls. Better check in with the neighbours.

Hopefully, the Council are just being extra cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Live 95 FM news saying that Limerick City Council will be distributing sand bags on the Mill Road.

It's in the Limerick Leader....

LIMERICK City Council are to deploy sandbags to properties in vulnerable areas later today.

These areas identified as vulnerable are:

Lucas Drive

That part of Mill Road directly bounding the River Shannon

Siul na hAbhann Housing Estate

Meadowbrook

City Council say there is no immediate threat of flooding to properties outside of these vulnerable areas.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-floods-City-Council-to.5865075.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

iguana wrote: »
    What kind of reaction do you think there will be if the councils and papers say the worst is probably over and a week from now more homes do flood and people's possessions get destroyed when they could have saved them if they hadn't ignored the negative possibilities?

They were being unnecessarily alarmist with a headline 'city on the brink'. To the best of my knowledge no homes within the city boundaries have been flooded yet. A Councillor Long was quoted in the paper as saying 'we could have another Cork on our hands'. Do you think this is responsible reporting given that it has or isn't likely to come nowhere near the scale of devastation seen in Cork?
    There is no doubt the paper would say they are just reporting the feelings expressed by officials, but there is no doubt in my mind that they are chasing the sensationalist headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

Some more pics from today. All taken at the Corbally baths.

Yesterday the water was part of the way up the pole holding the life buoy.
    936E02AC2CD745689D81FFE2D5EC2E72-500.jpg

Building the new bank as mentioned in a post above:
    72185E94B99E44C697AAD7D2B2CDE3D6-500.jpg

Walkway's are still impassible:
    0149B1B0253C4667B7191EEA85DD573D-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jimbo007

ttcomet wrote: »
    Some more pics from today. All taken at the Corbally baths.

so it's looking like the levels are finally getting lower?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

definately not getting lower out on lough derg. Was out by the marina today, the pontoons are now at least 1ft under water.....bear in mind they usually protrude out of the water by 3.5ft. A lot of them are smashed up from the force of the water. Heavy rain out here all day too.

Did they open up the weir again this afternoon? The water heading downstream past killaloe is faster than I have ever seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

anoble66 wrote: »
    definately not getting lower out on lough derg. Was out by the marina today, the pontoons are now at least 1ft under water.....bear in mind they usually protrude out of the water by 3.5ft. A lot of them are smashed up from the force of the water. Heavy rain out here all day too.

Did they open up the weir again this afternoon? The water heading downstream past killaloe is faster than I have ever seen it.

From RTE :

The ESB has said it will not increase the amount of water it is releasing from Lough Derg through Parteen Weir into the Shannon.

It said that while the water level in the Lough rose by 1cm over the past 24 hours, the rate of increase is slowing.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1127/weather.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ccyy123

All these waiting to see what happen next!!! We are suppose to fly over to Oz for a much looking forward holiday next Monday, now I don't know what to do. Rang the insurance company to see if my travel insurance would cover cancellation/change of date, was told if damages caused by the flood is over 2 grand, or that my/our presence's request by the Gardaí, then I get some compensation (not the full price I paid for the holiday).
    I am in Clonard, and hopefully it would not be affected, although the field now a lake is really worrying, especially this morning the water level is highest I have seen.
    What to do? Staying or go ahead with my holiday???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

They were being unnecessarily alarmist with a headline 'city on the brink'. To the best of my knowledge no homes within the city boundaries have been flooded yet.
    The water is within inches of flooding housing areas. I'm pretty sure thats the definition of on the brink. Its not sensationalist, its trying to get people prepared, we still have a wet weekend, a full moon and several high tides to deal with.

I see you missed the point there so I'll go over it again. City on the brink was giving the impression of widespread flooding when in fact a tiny number of areas were under threat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The only place where water levels have dropped on the shannon, so far , is Leitrim . That was only marginal so far.

It is still static or rising everywhere further down. From RTE Today
    There is a fresh flood alert in Co Galway tonight in the village of Clonfert.

The Emmanuel House Of Prayer has been flooded and several nearby houses are under threat as a result of rising water levels in the nearby river Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭CRAIG07

power cut during the toy show NOT ON !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

CRAIG07 wrote: »
    power cut during the toy show NOT ON !!

What time was that?

My lights were all flickering for a few seconds, I thought it was going to go - and Im in North Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What time was that?

My lights were all flickering for a few seconds, I thought it was going to go - and Im in North Tipp.

My lights flicked for a second or two as well and Im in Newport. Our exchange is in Castleconnel when our power went the last time thats what they told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Auzirish

ccyy123 wrote: »
    All these waiting to see what happen next!!! We are suppose to fly over to Oz for a much looking forward holiday next Monday, now I don't know what to do. Rang the insurance company to see if my travel insurance would cover cancellation/change of date, was told if damages caused by the flood is over 2 grand, or that my/our presence's request by the Gardaí, then I get some compensation (not the full price I paid for the holiday).
    I am in Clonard, and hopefully it would not be affected, although the field now a lake is really worrying, especially this morning the water level is highest I have seen.
    What to do? Staying or go ahead with my holiday???

Go for sure. If you're insured, you're insured. Ask some one to check on it periodically if you can. Move everything you can upstairs, and head away to fires, 35 degrees and high humidity! You could do with a dry spell ....That's what i'll be doing! Oz in 3 weeks, baby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 dexem

I'm living out in Rhebogue and have been staring at the water obsessively for the past week. It did rise a bit yesterday, but has retreated a bit to at least Wednesday's level, so there is a bit of hope.

I see you missed the point there so I'll go over it again. City on the brink was giving the impression of widespread flooding when in fact a tiny number of areas were under threat.
    So the headline should have read "Areas very close to, but not technically within the city boundaries, on the brink.." ? :rolleyes:

St. Marys, Athlunkard, Shannon banks, westbury, Millroad, Clancy strand, O Callaghan strand, Castletroy, thats a pretty significant area, even if, by boundary definition, its not technically in the city.

People worry too much about borders.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

dexem wrote: »
    I'm living out in Rhebogue and have been staring at the water obsessively for the past week. It did rise a bit yesterday, but has retreated a bit to at least Wednesday's level, so there is a bit of hope.

Maybe your obsessive staring scared it back? :D

upsideroll.png

LimerickPostDigitalEditioncopy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

zuroph wrote: »
    upsideroll.png

LimerickPostDigitalEditioncopy.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dexem

Kess73 wrote: »
    Maybe your obsessive staring scared it back? :D

King Canute has nothing on me! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Situation still worsening in Athlone , expect more photos here from a local later on today .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63247220&postcount=37

Water still rising in Mid shannon above Lough Derg .

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1129/weather.html
    Flood water levels in the Shannon basin in Co Galway and Co Offaly are still a serious concern One of the worst-hit areas is between Meelick and Clonfert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ccyy123

Well, I was hoping was so respite this weekend, but not so sure now
    Limerick Floods: Brookhaven estate now 'compromised' say HSE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Paulegend wrote: »

Next week's headlines :

a) Limerick Post considers becoming a broadsheet due to very long headlines

or

b) LP 2 us txt-skpk 4 hdlines