Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much cash for budapest?

• 21-11-2009 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭

I fly into budapest at 6pm on the tuesday and depart 7pm on the friday. I'll be doing the usual tourist lark of museum/exhibits and general food/dinner. I won't be drinking much due to being alone. How much would you advise bringing? Accommodation is already paid.

Sorry mods wrong forum and it wouldnt let me delete it :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I was there last month and had change left over out of 75,000 HUF, then again I had my breakfast pre-paid and didn't really spend a whole lot. Take EURO and you can change it there also, the Hungarians are not too fond of their own currency at the moment.

It is not the cheapest place in EE as their Government has VAT at 25% which is amongst the highest rates in the world and joint highest in the EU alongside Sweden. General rules apply avoid the more touristy areas and things will be cheaper, Vaci Utca street is full of scams and if you are a male and walk alone there by night you will be propositioned by hawkers trying to get fellas into ripoff stripjoint/brothel unscrupulous type of establishments so watch out (getting a large bill which you are forced to pay by going to the ATM with bouncers is the scam).

There are some great free walking tours which take around the city and they are a cool way to meet other english speaking people! I took one from outside Café Gerbeaud in Vörösmarty tér, tipping is expected though. The Gellert Baths are cool too and Heroes Square is well worth the visit. Budapest is not really a shopping city due to the VAT madness but some stuff can still be had. Saturn operates near Moskova Ter and they have a good range of electronics being a reputable German brand. It will be cold there, St. Istavans (Stephens) basiica and the Jewish synagogue are really cool too.

(sorry I never spotted this was in Reviews, but I think I answered his Q)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭ronano

your post is extremely helpful

thank you :)

Advertisement