Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting People In Dublin

Options
  • 21-11-2009 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

First off,sorry if this post is in the worng section,so please feel free to move it mods if ye see fit.

The thing is I have to move to dublin next week (finally got a job) so Im just looking for ideas on how to meet people. I mean I know a lot of people up there in college but other than the odd night out with them I wont really see them that much because Im working during the week and then they go home at weekends.

So basically I just need ideas on where and how to make new friends,get some drinking buddies etc. I suppose I will always meet people through work but I dont think their will be too many people my age working there (Im 22). I know it's a bit of an odd question but I dont want to end up just going to work,coming home and watching telly..theirs loads of stuff to do in Dublin...I just need people to do them with (cue worlds smallest violin ha)

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

boards beers can be good, there was one last night.
    There will be a christmas one too i believe run by after hours.

Other than that I suggest putting yourself 'out there' and be pro-active :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

PM Will..he's always looking for somebody to get drunk with!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Depends on where you'll be living really, and after that whether there's decent public transport / if you have a car, what you're interested in and how much spare time you have.

Join Macra - the Triple "R" club is based in Harolds Cross (Ranelagh, Rathmines and Rathgar) and there's something in it for everyone. Best organisation I ever joined. If you're interested PM me and I'll get contact details for the Secretary or Chair for you and you can give them a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MAB83

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Depends on where you'll be living really, and after that whether there's decent public transport / if you have a car, what you're interested in and how much spare time you have.

Join Macra - the Triple "R" club is based in Harolds Cross (Ranelagh, Rathmines and Rathgar) and there's something in it for everyone. Best organisation I ever joined. If you're interested PM me and I'll get contact details for the Secretary or Chair for you and you can give them a shout.

Macra is a great idea (or Muckra as I call it ;) Though the day that it was for farmers alone is long gone) My girlfriend is in Macra and she has more fun in a month than I did in 4 years of college! Sports, drama, nights out, bowling, weekends away all over Ireland for festivals (check out Queen of the Land, it's worse than Rose of Tralee lol), trips abroad...great craic though, I've gone along to a few of the nights out and it's been great fun. There's one in Swords too if that's nearer to you, depends on where in Dublin you are. Ages 17-35 (I think?) so you'd fit in perfectly.

If that's not for you try the AH Beers next month maybe, as you can see on Boards loads of people have made great friends from the nights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

join local football club or sports club. Being on a team is always a great way to make new mates.

If your not into sport you could try joining something new maybe taking a class or joining a choir, drama society etc. As well as making friends you'll be too busy to feel lonely.

Make sure to rally up a few people you do know for the first few weekends after you move up that way you might end up getting closer to them and at the very least you won't be sitting home board or lonely your first few weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

MAB83 wrote: »
    Macra is a great idea (or Muckra as I call it ;) Though the day that it was for farmers alone is long gone) My girlfriend is in Macra and she has more fun in a month than I did in 4 years of college! Sports, drama, nights out, bowling, weekends away all over Ireland for festivals (check out Queen of the Land, it's worse than Rose of Tralee lol), trips abroad...great craic though, I've gone along to a few of the nights out and it's been great fun. There's one in Swords too if that's nearer to you, depends on where in Dublin you are. Ages 17-35 (I think?) so you'd fit in perfectly.

If that's not for you try the AH Beers next month maybe, as you can see on Boards loads of people have made great friends from the nights out.

Ha, I was at the Queen of the Land last weekend - what a laugh, excellent weekend, so delighted for the girl who won too, she wasn't expecting it at all. The Rally is supposed to be excellent too, but I've never been free the October Bank Holiday weekend. It's in Wicklow next year, I've pencilled it in already.

The organisation is voluntary, so there's loads of scope to get involved on every level and have a real knock on effect on how things are done, plus you'll meet so many people - you have to actively try not to make friends. I can't recommend Macra highly enough. There's a club in Kill too, if you're out the West Dublin direction (Citywest etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Any reason why you posted this in the ladies lounge Mike!

moved to the dublin forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Mike Bassett

Hey thanks everyone for the great advice,might seriously look into Macra, sounds like good crack! I think I might move into a shared house too,and keep an eye open for the AH beers. Sports wouldnt be a bad idea,not bothered getting a release from my team but astro soccer would be good fun. Cheers everyone for the advice

Oh Jules your cynicism is quite refreshing, as I said on the first line I didnt know where to put it, I just wanted people to read it. Thanks for moving it to the correct area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Also worth keeping an eye on the following site for events

www.entertainment.ie

Also might want to sign up to the following weekly email events guides to keep up with different stuff happening in the city,

http://lecool.com/cities/dublin/subscriptions/new
    http://www.dublineventguide.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NTully

Hey Mike

Macra is a great idea!! And you're very welcome to come along to Treble R! Our next meeting is Tuesday Dec 1st at 8pm in Rosie O'Grady's in Harold's Cross.

Drop a line to trebler.club@macra.ie if you'd like any more info or just come along!

As mentioned there's also the club in Swords that I can put you in touch with.

Everyone very welcome along next Tuesday night.

Nuala Treble R PRO

• Advertisement
Advertisement