Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'business' related post

Options
  • 21-11-2009 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭

so i had a post in the ul forum deleted and i disagree with the reasoning

i am a student in ul

i am trying to set up a website and in the very long term it might provide some income but the actual reasoning for setting it up is that it is directly related to my college course.

i am interested in website design etc but i need content and im not a writer and i know there are writers in ul who enjoy doing this sort of thing i know a few of them post on the ul forum hence why i posted there

sceptre believes this is business related and therefore not allowed. i believe its using the networking provided by the ul forum for mutual advantage mainly educational with hopefully monetary gain

can i please get a full reason why its not allowed or have the post put back up

thanks

edit; jsut to clarify i wasnt advertising anything i was simply looking for other peoples talent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

My reasoning is explained fully in the longer PMs which you've received. Feel free to post them in full.

The UL forum doesn't allow commercial postings. It never has.

Aside, you didn't mention anything about it being related to your college course in the original post or in either of your subsequent PMs to me so this information is new. Feel free to provide me with that information if you like. I'm guessing that this was an oversight rather than it being a secret, regardless of whether that would impinge on the interest of others in the business aspect, which you highlighted. In the past we have supported people needing publicity for their college courses but your original post just mentions profit sharing. However, we don't allow commercial postings and never have.

Original post is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

yep sceptre you ahve explained your reasoning via pm im just asking for a third opinion nothing personal

i study digital media design

i set up a business recently and it has evolved into becoming a project for my course to take the place of the second half of my coop and potentially a project for my fyp

so there is a commercial interest obviously however im not trying to make any money off the back of boards im just trying to find like minded people who might want to get some experience and have a place to publish their writings with someone else doing the work of getting someone to see it. the chances of making any money purely from one website is slim so it is about me learning more but it has been set up as a business

i probably should have put in the fact it was related to my course my bad but i didnt think there was any rule against this sort of thing seen as i see it regularly in the entrepenurial forum. i knew i couldnt advertise the site which is why i didnt mention the url

if its against the rules fine i just dont think it should be

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Hi PeakOutput,

I'd be inclined to agree with Sceptre here. The original woding of the post made it seem like, after a while at least, that it could become commercial (i.e. involving money).

If it was directly related to your course work and had no monetary gain then we might allow it (Just looking for volunteers) but not the way its currently worded.

You're a good poster so maybe if we could reach a compromise?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As it stands, I see no reason to disagree with the local Mods on this. Perhaps you need to thrash it out a little further with them, flesh out the details so that they can get a more thorough overview?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

ok will do ill send them a pm detailing exactly what it is i wont hide the fact i want it to make money either as mnetising the site is also part of the project

not gonna do it now though need sleep :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement