Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stolen bike

• 21-11-2009 9:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

hey I was visiting my friend in Artane today at about 1930 and left my bike (stupidly) outside his house for about 15 mins unlocked. When I came back out it was gone.
    Anyway rang the Garda, they are useless, just said they'd put it on a stolen bikes list, didn't do anything else.
    Any advice on what to do? It's not a big deal really, I'm not going to beat myself up over it, but I can't believe it was gone so quickly. I mean what are the odds of a scumbag walking past in 15 mins? It's not in the least bit of a rough area.
    It's a Blue GS 125 with WW plates, so if anyone comes in contact with it please let me know. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Have you a friend with a car, talk a spin around the local areas tonight.
    Especially estates and greens where it might be raced around.

OT I lived in Artane for over a year and my bike was never touched.
    You were unlucky, it's isn't a bad area at all

And from dealing with the gardai for attempted thefts in other areas, I'd zero hope they will do anything for you at all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

yeah this part of Artane is near harmonstown which has its fair share of scumbags. I might get my brother to drive me around a bit, he should be home soon. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Oh I was in Thorndale, nearer Donnycarney, the posh end of Artane :P

Definitely take a spin out for an hour or two tonight if you can

www.biker.ie
    Bigger biker community there then boards
    Maybe sign up and post the same message, hundreds will see it tonight and you might get lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Anyway rang the Garda, they are useless, just said they'd put it on a stolen bikes list, didn't do anything else.
    I wouldnt be too quick to knock the Gardai, they recovered my bike when they found two idiots acting suspiciously on it. When you report a stolen bike it is also logged into the pulse system and can be detected by any of the ANPR cams linked to the system including some of the latest MMS Gatsos.

The cops wll alo be the first people to be notifed if it is found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

they found my bike aswell. Dont seem to be to bad to meself and iron maiden up there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

two bikes stolen - once found by Gardaí, once recovered myself after a bit of scouting around. The second time it wasn't even my bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    hey I was visiting my friend in Artane today at about 1930 and left my bike (stupidly) outside his house for about 15 mins unlocked. When I came back out it was gone.
    Any advice on what to do? It's not a big deal really, I'm not going to beat myself up over it, but I can't believe it was gone so quickly. I mean what are the odds of a scumbag walking past in 15 mins? It's not in the least bit of a rough area.
    It's a Blue GS 125 with WW plates, so if anyone comes in contact with it please let me know. Thanks.

sorry to hear about that. it gives you a sick feeling in the gut.

I live in lucan and the weekend before last some scumbags had a go at my monster in the back garden. they broke the steering lock and damaged the immobiliser in the process.

at first I hadn't a clue why she wouldn't start but then noticed some cables exposed behind the forks and then spotted the broken steering lock.

i put it down to clueless teenagers as if they knew anything about bikes they'd have known they cant hotwire it or bypass the immobiliser. secondly, they had the steering lock broken and didn't wheel it out out of the garden into a van.

i had a monster stolen about 3 years ago from the same address in my front garden.

partly my own fault as I didn't have it locked. i have a ground anchor but the lock is seized and WD40 won't open it. Any suggestions anyone???

but since I have a disc lock on the bike, the side gate locked and security grease along my back wall. won't stop anyone who really wants it but should stop teenagers ahving a snoop

just need to sort out the seized lock though.

anyway, good luck to you getting your bike back and keep us posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Give the WD40 another go and then a good few smacks of a Rubber Mallet.... could free it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

The-Game wrote: »
    Give the WD40 another go and then a good few smacks of a Rubber Mallet.... could free it up

yeah I've been coming back to it with the WD40 every few days and smacked it off the ground a few times aswell (not ideal but I don't have a rubber mallet!!)

I'll keep at it though cause I need to free up the ground anchor.

Advertisement