Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should college close for the week?

• 21-11-2009 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

Mr Gavin said that virtually all the northside of the city is without water and several schools on the northside have already closed and he urged any school in the city without water to close until water supplies are restored.

Mr Gavin was supported in this by HSE South Director of Public Health, Dr Elizabeth Keane who said it would be unsafe for any school to continue to operate without a water supply for sanitation purposes.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1121/breaking1.html?via=mr

We also heard this on the radio earlier, is CIT without water? My entire area has none :( Earliest they said would be next weekend! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭smileygirlloves

Vinta81 wrote: »
    We also heard this on the radio earlier, is CIT without water? My entire area has none :( Earliest they said would be next weekend! :(

awe thats awful you have no water. well cit had water on friday and so had all the three student accomodations. So i guess all is fine around there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Ah k, cause my parents were sure if they should close or not. My mums hospital are on rations of water :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭smileygirlloves

Ah k, cause my parents were sure if they should close or not. My mums hospital are on rations of water :(

yea lots of places are on rations alrite...but no notice of rations has been given so far. One of my lecturers was sayin that if at all possible they were hoping of no closure becasue it would completey mess up semesterisation this term

yea lots of places are on rations alrite...but no notice of rations has been given so far. One of my lecturers was sayin that if at all possible they were hoping of no closure becasue it would completey mess up semesterisation this term

True but it's just so un-hygenic right now lol, trying to find one of my friends houses with water so I can shower :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Must be difficult without water alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ow2h7nft1me9i4

I live in Victoria Cross and we were evacuated until at least the 29th. I'm not from Cork so can't go to college all next week in CIT because I'm pretty much homeless!
    CIT didn't acknowledge the floodings at all. No e-mail or nothing on the webiste. It's really disappointing. Surely there must be alot of students in the same situation as me. They went to the effort of sending a big email about xmas day next week, yet nothing about the floods.
    Shame on them :(

I live in Victoria Cross and we were evacuated until at least the 29th. I'm not from Cork so can't go to college all next week in CIT because I'm pretty much homeless!
    CIT didn't acknowledge the floodings at all. No e-mail or nothing on the webiste. It's really disappointing. Surely there must be alot of students in the same situation as me. They went to the effort of sending a big email about xmas day next week, yet nothing about the floods.
    Shame on them :(

Where are you now? :( Anything you need help with?

I keep checking my e-mail for something/anything, nothing tis a disgrace :rolleyes:

Yeah but we got strike emails. They more important obviously... :rolleyes:

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Yeah but we got strike emails. They more important obviously... :rolleyes:

My mum is adament about health and safety issues, working in a hospital and all that she can't believe we've yet to hear from them!

Where are you now? :( Anything you need help with?

I keep checking my e-mail for something/anything, nothing tis a disgrace :rolleyes:

Awwww thanks for the thought!!! :)

I'm back home in Waterford until they re-open Vic Mills (the big yellow one!) But all my books, clothes and all my stuff are up there and we arent even allowed back in to get stuff. Tis annoying.
    I'll have to ring CIT Monday morning and tell them I can't get in for the week. Surely they will understand...

• Advertisement

Well I'm not surprized, it's CIT! Administration and other things like this are terrible.

Awwww thanks for the thought!!! :)

I'm back home in Waterford until they re-open Vic Mills (the big yellow one!) But all my books, clothes and all my stuff are up there and we arent even allowed back in to get stuff. Tis annoying.
    I'll have to ring CIT Monday morning and tell them I can't get in for the week. Surely they will understand...

They'll have too, a lot of people are in that position! Stay safe in Waterford!

Oh when it comes to student care, it's not exactly high on their list :rolleyes: Bloody buggars. I mean they're putting in all these automatic doors in the Nexus for what purpose? :confused: Focus on the students please.

I'm wondering if I should even bother going up until Wednesday now...

I'm wondering if I should even bother going up until Wednesday now...

I've an exam Monday and two presentations next week :(

Yeah I also have an exam and a presentation next week.:(

I'm looking forward to hearing their response Monday when I call. I'll let ye know what they say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Monday is surely going to be bust, most of the students that went home this weekend will surely stay there, no point coming down when we have Tuesday off.

I'll be going in on Monday, hopefully, because I need to get a load of work done. If it's lashing raining then there's no chance I'll walk in. I live in B'town but I still have a 15 min walk in and got drenched several times this week.

I feel a cold/flu coming on :(

Theres still a good walk to CIT alright from a lot of places in bishopstown. I think I'll come in alright though, doubt my supervisor be happy if I don't.

Good luck with those presentations and exams too...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Blue_Rose

Its absoloutely awful, no word what so ever from CIT! I'm doing a course between UCC and CIT so I don't know if I'm supposed to go down to Cork or what!! I know theres a lot of people in my course who are currently homeless and CIT obviously expect us to come in?! Its a disgrace!!

In fairness it is actually quite a disgrace when some people in the class have no homes and the classes still go on. There is a lot of free time in January that could be used as emergency time to shift things around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Blue_Rose wrote: »
    Its absoloutely awful, no word what so ever from CIT! I'm doing a course between UCC and CIT so I don't know if I'm supposed to go down to Cork or what!! I know theres a lot of people in my course who are currently homeless and CIT obviously expect us to come in?! Its a disgrace!!

Hey Blue_Rose, hope this helps you:

CIT have normal lectures/labs all week except Tuesday for the strike.
    UCC is closed all week due to flooding. Lectures/labs resume on the 30th.

• Advertisement

In fairness it is actually quite a disgrace when some people in the class have no homes and the classes still go on. There is a lot of free time in January that could be used as emergency time to shift things around...

That's an excellent point. There is alot of time in January that could surely be used by students that couldn't get to college because of the floods. It is a very valid excuse not to go to college. I'm sure CIT would have to be understanding of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Colin Manning's Blog has news:

http://colinmcit.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

That's an excellent point. There is alot of time in January that could surely be used by students that couldn't get to college because of the floods. It is a very valid excuse not to go to college. I'm sure CIT would have to be understanding of it.

I'd be very surprised if that happens. They're taking the whole semesterisation thing fairly seriously and since the floods haven't directly affected the college I doubt they're going to go swapping classes around the place. Also as far as I'm aware there's a week or 2 in January that are down as holidays for staff, the rest of the month is supposed to be for exams and correcting them, I doubt they're going to give up there time off to do classes.

I contacted CIT today anyway. They still didn't acknowledge the flood, and just told me they would forward my concerns to the registrar, accom office and my department secretary. None of whom got back to me, naturally.

Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ThePirateGay

My water isn't effected at all!

Back of the net!!!!!:D:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Hattrick

I contacted CIT today anyway. They still didn't acknowledge the flood, and just told me they would forward my concerns to the registrar, accom office and my department secretary. None of whom got back to me, naturally.

Idiots.

In what way did you want them to acknowledge the flood? Produce a musical?

They will forward your concerns to the registrar, accom office and dept secretary. There are more students than you for them to deal with. What else should they do seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Hattrick wrote: »
    In what way did you want them to acknowledge the flood? Produce a musical?

Siiiiinging in the rain..:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Hattrick

Den_M wrote: »
    Siiiiinging in the rain..:pac:

sounds perfect to me.

Thought I'd be off but no! - The supervisor wants me to come in to some place in model farm road for a meeting :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

They should have sent out an email stating that despite the flood CIT would be continuing as normal. I mean they sent out emails for the strike and christmas day!!!

On another note, I'm glad the college didn't close, there was really no need for it and a week off now would have f*!%ed me over completely with assignments!!!

Advertisement