Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power cut tonight?

Options
  • 21-11-2009 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Anyone hear anything about this..heard a vicious rumour that there's supposed to be an almost city-wide power cut in 2-3 hours time to allow something or other to be repaired?

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Nothing on news, ESB or CC websites.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

didn't hear anything about tonight but i know a lot of the city was without power at some stage last night. The esb cut it off for precautionary reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

I just heard it there aswel. Cant comfirm it tho

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Where did ye hear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

a friend of mine works in a restaurant in the city, he said it to me on the phone that they were all told the power was to be cut in 2-3 hours across the city. like i said, could just be a vicious rumour...hope so!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Oh I hope so,its one thing turning off the water but turning off the power too :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

The lights in my house have begun to "flash" - you know, it goes dim then brightens back up in the last 25 mins so neither I need new lightbulbs or the electricity will prob go tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The lights in my house have begun to "flash" - you know, it goes dim then brightens back up in the last 25 mins so neither I need new lightbulbs or the electricity will prob go tonight

Same here; we had those flashes too. Time to get the candles out, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Just watched the rte news there, cork folk ye have it bad. Galway is bad in the rural areas but our city is fine.. best of luck to ye, it will be a long night:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Just watched the rte news there, cork folk ye have it bad. Galway is bad in the rural areas but our city is fine.. best of luck to ye, it will be a long night:(

Fair play to ya on that :). Floods have pretty much destroyed Cork and Galway at the mo, wish ye luck on clearing it:)

Oh I hope so,its one thing turning off the water but turning off the power too :eek:

I think it mite be connected. Dont the esb use the water in iniscarra to generate electricity. Just a thought tho.

• Advertisement

JimBob85 wrote: »
    I think it mite be connected. Dont the esb use the water in iniscarra to generate electricity. Just a thought tho.

Your right it does.

Your right it does.

Well then I can only assume that all the water going thru there in the last week has damaged some equiptment. That may be the reason to turn the leccy off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Well then I can only assume that all the water going thru there in the last week has damaged some equiptment. That may be the reason to turn the leccy off

Can anyone confirm that the water OR the leccy is being turned off and where ?
    Ta !

Stargate wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm that the water OR the leccy is being turned off and where ?
    Ta !

Seems to be all roumers. But those without water are gonna have to do without for a week at least

<H3>Council declares civic emergency in Cork

Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 06:38 PM

A civic emergency has been declared in Cork after it emerged that the water supply to tens of thousands of people won't be turned back on until next weekend at the earliest.

A major treatment plant which feeds the city's northside and Douglas suburb remains submerged under several metres of water.

Schools in affected areas have been told they will have to remain closed, while there's growing concern over the risk to public health posed by a lack of sanitation.

Cork's Lord Mayor, Darragh Murphy, hopes the southside neighbours of those affected will come to their aid.

Gardaí are appealing to the elderly living on Cork's northside who can't get access to drinking water to contact them.

A team of community gardaí is delivering bottled water to housebound residents affected by the flood damage to the city's domestic supply.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/council-declares-civic-emergency-in-cork-435282.html#ixzz0XXK9Yi5d
    </H3>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

The DAM is only a load system. It works during peak demand. Its is not the main source of power for the city.

I would imagine the ESB woudl tell people if this was to happen. There was a notice about last night

Thankfully it seems to have been a rumour...last thing people need with no water is no leccy! hopefully it remains a rumour!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Seems to be all roumers. But those without water are gonna have to do without for a week at least

JimBob85 TNX , hearing different stories from all over the place , it bad now , wait till we have some serious snow jez ! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

maglite wrote: »
    I would imagine the ESB woudl tell people if this was to happen. There was a notice about last night

Where do these notices appear?

coolmoose wrote: »
    Thankfully it seems to have been a rumour...last thing people need with no water is no leccy! hopefully it remains a rumour!

Oh I hope so,I could live without water for a few days but Im not so sure about elctricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

"Power has been cut off in some parts of city and bandon - ESB crews are in the area and the power will be switch on as the water levels subside".

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/esb-cuts-off-power-in-some-flood-areas-435150.html

• Advertisement

deadhead13 wrote: »
    "Power has been cut off in some parts of city and bandon - ESB crews are in the area and the power will be switch on as the water levels subside".

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/esb-cuts-off-power-in-some-flood-areas-435150.html

yesterdays news... 20/11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

coolmoose wrote: »
    yesterdays news... 20/11

You just beat me to it...sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

simu wrote: »
    Where do these notices appear?

Well they can range from postal notices to each effected house to media alerts through their media officer 96fm, RTE etc. Same way they released that they would be letting the 800T/s Thursday.

Never happened and I d say a lot of people were worried

I certainly was anyway :eek:

i know...sorry everyone! was worried too, thank god it was a rumour!

Advertisement