Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The ReaPriCam Challenge

• 21-11-2009 10:45pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure exactly how this will work yet, but leading on from this thread it could be fun to see what can be done with the cheapest and nastiest most reasonably priced digital camera available.

The Vivitar V4090 seems to be as reasonable as you can get. So the first step is to see how many people are willing to buy a ReaPriCam before we work out how we will proceed further.

I have just reserved mine, hope to pick it up tomorrow assuming Argos is open on a Sunday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I'm in. Might try find something cheap and nasty reasonably priced tomorrow. Should we allow second hand cameras? And I reckon we should restrict it to just digital?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

As this is like the Top Gear Laps I think it has to be the same cameras.

27 Quid for a Vivitar V4090 is about as cheap as you can get. Most of the stores have 2 or 3 of them is stock, so should be easy to get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I'll check tomorrow and see if I can reserve one for collection Monday when at work.

Don't plan on leaving the cave tomorrow ;)

Sounds good. Should be able to pick one up tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Sounds like a really interesting idea! I'll join in when I have the spare cash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Always think that these type of cameras can't be that bad, so would be interested to try it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Just bought mine in the Jervis Centre Branch. It felt somehow wrong (just hoped none was seeing me.
    The Jervis Centre Branch had 1 male and 7 female versions left after I bought me. The ILAC centre branch had neither.

Picked up mine today. Forgot the whole "they require batteries" bit so can't even give it a test run. Have to say, I already know why it costs 25 odd Euro. It's build like a wet paper bag :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Did not get in today, so I guess it will have to be tomorrow now.

So anyone got some shots with it yet?

What Memory do they take?

It takes an SD card. So fairly standard. Really finicky to use. Very unintuitive buttons and options! Takes getting used to. Now, the photo... oh lord sweet jaysus... awful... want me to post samples?

• Advertisement

Would be interested to see a photo.... hopefully it won't scare me away from buying it

Here's a couple of links. First with flash, second without.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/karmagarda/PICT0008.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/karmagarda/PICT0009.jpg

Room was well enough lit. Not a good performer indoors obviously.

Just uploading a couple of photos from a Coolpix L6 which you can pick up second hand for about 80/90 Euro. Same 2 photos, same light, etc.

1st with flash, 2nd without flash. That camera I used is actually in the first photo from the Vivatar :D

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/karmagarda/DSCN1704.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/karmagarda/DSCN1706.jpg

Not great really, I don't like that muddy lack of sharpness :) maybe its more an outdoor camera :D

I'll hand it this much. It's "quirky" :D. Be fun to see who can get a decent photo out of it. I have a few ideas, but not very hopeful

Got my 4090 today, really is bad. The on-board memory is pretty useless, holds one image and once the camera is turned off its lost. The way it auto adjusts the exposure is amazingly slow and not so good. The LCD isn't much good really, about 66% coverage of what your shooting, really low resolution and no zoom when looking at photos. Focus for distant objects seems to be off too, would be interested to know if they're all like that.

Going into town now to pick up my piece of Vivitar Lovliness.

The poor quality is the challenge. The Digital version of the Lomo

Got my 4090 today, really is bad. The on-board memory is pretty useless, holds one image and once the camera is turned off its lost. The way it auto adjusts the exposure is amazingly slow and not so good. The LCD isn't much good really, about 66% coverage of what your shooting, really low resolution and no zoom when looking at photos. Focus for distant objects seems to be off too, would be interested to know if they're all like that.

Yes Ghost. Yes they are :pac:

I'm looking forward to this now. Let's all prove that it IS the photographer that takes the good photos and never in fact the camera ;)

Well this is reapricam photo for the day, basic adjustments made
    E73A5BA4C5BE4B64A88A7D7D39491C91-800.jpg

heres a focus test, 100% crops, 1m vs infinity, might be getting the screwdriver out to adjust :D
    E97C2B95769949FABB4FF381A9952875.jpgCC194783B2754F81BCEDADFD5D7A7984.jpg

My vivitar album
    http://pix.ie/ghosttrain/album/361525

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I actually quite like #1 posted GT. Errrrr..... Perhaps I should bin the DSLR.

These cameras are a really good idea for many reasons - this way you'd never have to bring a camera with you - you'd just buy a new one every time you wanted a new image.

Didn't hit argos myself as yet. Probably be later in the week for me.

(seriously - I quite like the birdie image :))

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Great idea for a challenge, I'll buy one tomorrow......4MP.....yippiiiieee.;)

I think its a camera to loan friends when you don't trust them with your proper camera

As a side note the vivitar ultra wide and slim seems to have a healthy following
    looks like a fun film camera
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/57074580@N00/

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

I'm actually digging the sample photos on here from this camera. Ghost Train, your bottom two remind me of pics I would have seen from my parent's holidays and when they got married, back in the 70's and before. I reckon, get yourselves dressed up in 70's gear, get some awful wallpaper and ugly furniture, and you'll have a really nostalgic shot.

just to make clear the 2nd and 3rd photo aren't full photos, they're cropped from these full photos
    http://photos3.pix.ie/CB/A3/CBA37C4F118C4B199DBEC9E0548D12C9.jpg
    http://photos3.pix.ie/8A/E4/8AE4F02B4B2746ECAE491292F56FBBB3.jpg

I'm hoping you all get your cameras pretty soon before Ghost train shows us up with all his photos :D

Yep I'll punish you with more shots, I have my cheap cam and I'm not afraid to use it. How are you getting on with it KarmaGarda?

I have a couple of quirky shots, a couple of out of focus/motion blur shots, etc. I'll upload a couple more later see what they look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Picked up one in Argos today......Good Lord its bad:eek:

Will post some pictures later on.

• Advertisement

What :eek:

It's an absolute gem! Don't dis the viv :mad:

:pac:

Got mine at home, still in it's box so far. Need to find an SD Card for it as all the one's I have for the G9 are SDHC. I do remember there being a small SD Card around somewhere, just not sure where. Looking forward to giving this camera a go. :)

Still no photos?
    Here's whats inside the vivitar
    6FDAF12EDFEB4717B4D3A6B34250FDF6-500.jpg

Pretty easy to adjust the focus, (would mark the original position as reference)
    BB0C4B6CC93344FDA7E444905551DE5F-500.jpg

Here's the sensor,
    3EF85BE92C944B60987067E60FCFE93F-500.jpg

And my slight adjustment to the lens, industar 50mm f3.5
    6E4F3EC93D474583AEAAFCF061ABFFC1-500.jpg

You do realise that you have just voided your warranty? ;)

Have just powered mine up & stuck in a 128Mb SD Card just now.

It really is the Trabi of Digital Cameras ..... hope it's as much fun :D

CabanSail wrote: »
    You do realise that you have just voided your warranty? ;)

Have just powered mine up & stuck in a 128Mb SD Card just now.

It really is the Trabi of Digital Cameras ..... hope it's as much fun :D

the centre weighted average metering is fun :D

Still no photos?
    Here's whats inside the vivitar

Pretty easy to adjust the focus, (would mark the original position as reference)

Here's the sensor,

And my slight adjustment to the lens, industar 50mm f3.5

Oh my sweet jesus..... so this is what we're competing with! Think we better get this comp rolling quick or this lad will have bazookas and all on his camera :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm not going to lie. This camera is a lot of fun. Am I a bad person that I like the photos it produces :eek:

River.jpg

Heres one of the pictures with the industar lens. Worked well but main problem is the sensor size, turns the 50mm lens into something over 200mm equiv lens. One good thing is since you loose the IR filter on the back of the original plastic lens the colours turn all funky.

E77696202883429491E9454202F38BDD-800.jpg

So turns out the camera might be a good camera to turn in to a IR P&S
    Following these instructions
    http://www.hoagieshouse.com/IR/

These were the test pictures I got just by switching the lens, ie. still colour getting through
    http://pix.ie/ghosttrain/album/361850

These are some test IR photos I got using some 35mm film to block a lot of the visible light as in the instructions above
    http://pix.ie/ghosttrain/album/361852

Removed the big lens from the camera again yesterday, later I might just try remove the IR filter and use the original lens and see how it works

Easy enough camera to open btw, just 5 screws, 1 under a sticker

It is easy to open. I did the same myself to fix my focus! Basically this is my method:

1. Take out 4 screws.
    2. Nearly break camera attempting to take back off.
    3. Take off all stickers.
    4. Find 5th screw. Take it out & open camera
    5. Fiddle around with it.
    6. Notice you've now only got 4 screws.
    7. Say "Ah I can't be F*cked". Discard all screws and drink beer instead

8. Flog Knackered camera to some other boardsie :pac:

• Advertisement

Argos sell a Repair Kit for them for €35.79

Wonder has the price gone up due to recent demand :D

Not quite sure what's in focus...

PICT0021_800.jpg

This camera can produce really strange results! The roof of this is NOT curved :D

PICT0011_800.jpg

I know its strange and shutter speed=1/545
    C20EF81F8C894B339F02F7758B48BD8B-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Heh you guys! Hmnn do I get myself one of these for the craic or not.

Do it!

Here's more of its wonderful results:

PICT0020_800-1.jpg

Heres a photo after removing IR filter and putting some black film over lens
    B7D6D51C22E14BC6B6950905B1BDEC0A-800.jpg

Need to take some more photos but seems to work well with plenty light

BFE244050D0C4939AF7E1E96AB786E37-800.jpg

PICT0019_800.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement