Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gort = mini Brazil?

Options
  • 21-11-2009 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

I'm from the east coast but I've heard tales of the small town of Gort in Co. Galway being dubbed mini Brazil due to its large Brazillian immigrant population working at a meat factory located there. Is this still true or has the local Brazillian population dropped off due to the recession?

Also do the Brazillians integrate with the locals? eg would you see the Brazillians in the pub or the night club (if there is one in Gort) at the weekend?

I'm just curious as I'm interested in Latin American culture.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

yes there is a high population of brazilians in gort all the time.
    the meat factory is gone but a lot of them started working in construction etc.
    ive had a few brazilian guys working on building sites in galway and they are excellent workers.
    they are nice people and integrate very well with the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

While I don't live in Gort, I sometimes fill up at one of the service stations there as it's still doing Diesel for 105.9, and find the Brazilians working there to be very kind and helpful.

I'd say they probably integrate quite well because Brazilian culture is laid back and they come from a catholic background so they'd be able to relate to Irish people better than, say, someone from Pakistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,905 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah they integrate well.

Two young brazilians lads from there are tipped to be the greatest hurlers that we'll ever see don a Galway jersey (if they stick around, I hope they do!) and they are only about 8 or 9. I saw them playing down Bridge Street with hurls on Friday. They play with under 10 and 12's I think and one of them can point from past the 65 mark! (of course this is respective to the size of the pitch that age group play...)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

Gort = mini Venice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Gort = mini Venice.

Not to be unkind but I lol'd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Fausto Miño

Yep, Gort has been held up as a model of integration, attracting visits from planners/officials of foreign countries to see how this has been achieved.

And btw, wednesday, 25th in NUIG in Galway, there is a talk by Frank Murray, a community development worker investigating migration, integration and linguistic issues of the Brazil - Gort connection. Its from 2 - 4pm in the Arts Millenium Buidling

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    I'd say they probably integrate quite well because ... and they come from a catholic background so they'd be able to relate to Irish people better than, say, someone from Pakistan.

Irish people I know who've accidentally gone to the Briazillian mass there might disagree with you: they SING, it's loud and energetic, and (the "worst" bit ;) ) - it takes more than 45 minutes!!!

Disclaimer: I'm neither Irish nor Brazillian, and I've never been myself. Just passing on what friends have told me.

I live and work in Gort and I love the Brazilian folk. They are kind, friendly, cheerful and helpful with few exceptions and have integrated very well. However in recent months the number of Brazilians has noticeably gone down and I think Gort is a sadder place for it. Mind you, could just be the shi††y weather. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 P2011

Loubytee wrote: »
    I live and work in Gort and I love the Brazilian folk. They are kind, friendly, cheerful and helpful with few exceptions and have integrated very well. However in recent months the number of Brazilians has noticeably gone down and I think Gort is a sadder place for it. Mind you, could just be the shi††y weather. :D

I'm told there are still over a 1,000 Brazilians in Gort which suggests a vibrant community. I found this article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/worldagenda/2010/12/101130_worldagenda_ireland_brazil.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread is 2 years old. Start a new one if you like about the current situation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement