Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threatened by neighbours

Options
  • 21-11-2009 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

X

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Parking isn't reserved, I can drive a car and park outside your house if I want to. I would have talked to them first before sending a note. People react badly to notes through the letterbox, it shows someone with a problem who won't knock on the door and discuss it first

But now you've talked to them and they are angry with you. No excuse for blocking your car or swearing at you.
    What do you want the gardai to do here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

As spaces are not allocated there is no my space your space it's on a first come first served basis, you had no business whatsoever putting a note on a car telling them not to park in "your" space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

I feel bad for you. I would imagine it's not nice to have such strained relationships with your neighbours. If it's on street parking there's not much you can do about it. you may have been a bit pre-emptive with your note though. Would probably be very difficult for you to apologise after the confrontation. Just out of curiosity though, why did you mention that your neighbours are renting and you are a 'homeowner'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

OP unfortunately as stated by others above you do not have a leg to stand on when it comes to unallocated parking: renting or home owning is irrelevant.

however these two guys are completely out of order for abusing a woman like that and you were right to contact gardai if u felt really threathened as you described.
    however as they sound like total arseholes and as you have to live next to them is it worth straining relations further by getting the gardai involved?
    probably was best to speak to them before leaving a note, people take notes the wrong way no matter how polite you may word them.
    maybe try talking to the woman in the house about it as she sounds the least hostile

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lyoness

X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lyoness

this post btw is not about the parking issue. i realise the deal with non-allocated parking. My post is about how these 2 guys threatened, shouted and roared at me using extremely foul language to me. I mentioned the parking to explain the story that led to this incident tonight. I am scared in my own home and no-one has the right to do that.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,297 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Other than the fact that this presumably took place in Dublin West, I can't see any real reason for it to be in this forum. I'm guessing Accommodation & property is the best place for it, but mods feel frwee to bump it back if you don't agree.

Moved from Dublin County West

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Feel very sorry for you OP. They seem very unreasonable. Report them if they threaten you further.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Not nice people. Shocking behavior.

But ultimately that is not "your" space so you should not have left the note.

But I feel for you :( What an awful reaction.

Avoid them like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

Point is she didn't do anything wrong. She asked them nicely and they ignored her. She wrote a polite note complete with please and thank you - their response was to block her car in, so she knocked and asked them to move their car, and they responded like thugs.
    Regardless of whether you own the spaces or not, most people would be reasonable about parking spaces this woman's neighbours were not reasonable - she was - she only asked them to leave her a space for God's sake!
    Their response was terrifying and she did absolutely the right thing in getting the police involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

next time you see a space outside their place you park your car there.
    Parking isnt reserved so they cant say anything to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

geem wrote: »
    Point is she didn't do anything wrong.

.......she only asked them to leave her a space for God's sake!

Point is she doesn't have the right to insist that neighbours park in certain space.......

She didn't ask them to leave her a space, she asked them to leave a specific space in front of her house. Unfortunately she has no right to this space and she also has no right to ask people not to park in it.

On the other hand that is a disgraceful reaction by the neighbours.

One can only hope that they won't be living beside the OP for a long time.

I feel for the OP and understand how frustrated she must be.

My advice would be to park well away from these neighbours and keep the head down when you see them....they are obviously irrational uncivilised people and will not oblige a social courtesy like not parking in front of a neighbours house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

People will react badly to notes. Their reaction was out of order but all the same, nobody wants a note left for them
    Why didn't you talk to them first?
    lyoness wrote: »
    Background: I am a home owner and they are renting.

Ah, I've come across this attitude before :(
    Now you explained in later posts but if it wasn't a issue, why even mention it?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

On a public road there is no such thing as your space. Anyone can park there.

Is it annoying when you cant park outside your own house? Of course but that is the price we pay for most people having one or two cars per household these days.

You will have to park where you can find a space.

They did over react but I too would be mad if someone put a note on my car asking me not to park there.

I would suggest you keep your head down now and never make an issue of parking again. Just go find a space and park in it. If you get in front of your place then all good if not then just park and walk to your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As others have said, the note was probably a bad idea, but these people are clearly idiots. Rather than come up and discuss it rationally they acted like scumbags.

I would drop it, don't bother going to the Gardai or anything such. While it's the "right" thing to do, these are the kind of people who, if you make a formal complaint, will make your life hell until you get them evicted. You're stuck living there, they're not.

Just deal with it. You say you're a single girl on her own, but a 2-car household? If so, clearly one car is yours or is a "primary" car and the other is not. Surely the non-primary car could be parked somewhere else? What people in our place do is park one car behind the other, could you do this (assuming you're not parking in anyone's way)?

Put up with it, it won't last long. In my experience, these kinds of scumbag hotheads usually move on or get moved on within a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

She says in her original post she did talk to them, several times before resorting to the note. Even if the space outside your house is not 'legally yours' most people are couteous enough to park only outside their own houses.
    She also mentioned they deliberately blocked her car in, and when she asked them to move their car they were swearing at her and threatening her.
    I don't know how anybody can justify these neighbour's behaviour.
    I once parked in my friends 'space' outside his apartment. The landlord came and wrote a note to me - with a CD marker - on my windscreen.
    That is annoying, even made me a bit mad but a bit of paper is something different altogether and should not have provoked such a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

geem wrote: »
    Even if the space outside your house is not 'legally yours' most people are couteous enough to park only outside their own houses..

Nonsense.

I'm a considerate neighbour but I'll take whatever space is going. I couldn't care less who parks outside my house. If I was asked to move my car for no other reason than somebody fancies the space outside their house, I'll say no because a) I'm not been told to shift on b) it's setting a vague precedent of "ownership" that will lead to rows.

Fair enough if it's for a more valid reason like a disabled driver or something.

No excuse whatsoever for the threats mentioned by the OP of course, but the inability of some people to grasp the concept of non-allocated parking astounds me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

My street is very narrow so parking is at a premium. most people converted their front gardens into a driveway. obviously this is not an option if your front door opens onto the street.
    you could always stick a few traffic cones outside. personally i considered parking when i was buying a house & i don't even own a car at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,364 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Old thread. Leave it alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    you could always stick a few traffic cones outside.

You have no right to put traffic cones outside your house or on a public road. At the very least you could be done for littering if you do.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement