Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive in Cinema

Options
  • 21-11-2009 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi Guys!

I just want to get your opinion and thoughts of the idea of a Drive In Cinema. As part of my College Course we have to run a live project and we have chosen to do a Drive In Cinema Weekend.
    The general concept is that people will drive in, park up and watch a movie on a big screen! We are going to go down the route of a 70's theme and Im just wondering what sort of extra things would be expect at an event like this?

Concession Stand - What type of food?!(besides popcorn!)
    Staff - Rollerblades & costume?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Farmleigh ran some drive-in shows earlier on this year, were quite good.

That wasn't very helpful, so here's the helpful bit! Farmleigh experience:
    Had hard surface parking, not grass (concrete paving with grass allowed to grow through it)
    Concessions at the back of the car park included hot dogs, popcorn, candy floss, tea and coffee.
    Importantly there were portaloos at the back of the car park too!

It was get your own - no staff other than one or two to direct the cars and the concession stand staff - which might have meant that the concessions didn't make as much money.

I'd wonder about the wisdom of roller-skate-mounted staff in the car park though! Costumes, there's a headscratcher. Something bright and fun, to stand out? Waistcoats maybe? Anyway, I'm no fashion designer.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

Thats brilliant! Been onto Farmleigh and Belfast Film Festival and they gave us great information, most we knew already but gave s alot of contacts for equipment and screens etc..

our next step is to think of a logo/name for the event! It's proving to be a difficult one as it is on Valentine's Weekend, which your probably thinking is very easy to think of names but is quite difficult!

Anyone got any suggestions on names that we call our Drive-In Movie event?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Hello,

Wouldnt the success of this very much depend on the weather?
    Cant see there being much interest in an outdoor cinema during the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

Well its a drive in movie, so naturally people will be in their cars so naturally the weather wouldnt be that dependant on the how successful it is. The sounds will be transmitted through the car radios so the movie-goes can adjust the sound to there own level for convenience and best sound!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Well its a drive in movie, so naturally people will be in their cars so naturally the weather wouldnt be that dependant on the how successful it is. The sounds will be transmitted through the car radios so the movie-goes can adjust the sound to there own level for convenience and best sound!! :)
    How much petrol would your car use up I wonder to be on for the duration of a film? It would have to be on or else the battery would surely go. And is it spoiled if it's raining? I know you can just turn on your wipers but that would also kind of ruin it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement