Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gas boiler pressure to high after repressurising

Options
  • 21-11-2009 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi there,

Hopefully someone will be able to help me with a small problem i've created myself. Had a problem with my gas boiler where by the pressure had dropped low and the boiler would turn on. Like a few times previously i repressurised the system with the valve under the system but it appears that the gauge stuck or something similar as it didn't immediatly register the inceased pressure. My problem is that the when the pressure finished rising it was sitting at 3.5 instead of the usual 1 bar i'd set it at.

My question is how do i decrease this pressure. Can't see any blled valve on the boiler itself. There is a bleed valve the try that you can connect a hose to on the same loop as the valve i used to increase the pressure, i released this and let some water off but it made no difference. Would bleeding through the rads make any difference?

Is it dangerous to run the boiler like this? Reckon it would probably blow out a valve or something so haven't tried. Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

I would think bleeding through the rads would have to release the pressure, assuming you're letting water out when you're bleeding. Can't really hurt to try.

Are the circuit zones to the rads actually open?

Draining water from the rad is the way to go, this will release the pressure once you have drained enough, if you find the guage on the boiler reads the same, then either the filling point is still open or the guage has cack in it and is giving incorrect reading, Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jeff_2009

i would agree withy Fergus, just bleed a rad to release some of the pressure from the system. If you have a problem of the pressure droping periodically as in daily or weekly then check for very small leaks around your rad valves. i had to replace my rad valves due to slow pressure drops over time..an annoying problem especially when the plumber who installed the system put the re-pressuising value upstairs while the boiler wit the pressure gauge is downstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭offalyman

thanks lads... next prob is where did i leave my rad key

doh..... double post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭offalyman

Thanks guys, got sorted last night and got the heat back. Didn't make sense to me that it wasn't releasing the pressure when i opened the bleed valve and given that I couldn't find my rad key last night i had to go back this direction again. Something Gary said about if its refilling the chances are the refill is still open so went back at this and it seems it stuck open some how( my fault). anyways i managed to close this and using the bleed valve i released the pressure. Thanks again lads

Advertisement