Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP to Windows 7

• 21-11-2009 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a Dell PC, 640m laptop and a mini9 netbook.

I'm thinking of getting the family (3 PC) licence for windows 7.

The windows XP serial number sticker has come off the PC and netbook but they all came direct from Dell.

Regardless, I'm thinking of buying the non upgrade version of Windows 7 so that if I need to do a clean reinstall on any of the machines, it wont be a problem.

Would anyone agree that this is the right way to go?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You can do a clean install with an upgrade disk. If you need the xp license key to do the upgrade just download a program called magicjellybeans and it will give you your key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks for the advice. I've a €50 Harvey Norman voucher hanging around so I think I'll get it there.

So its the Family 3 user Upgrade I need yeah?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That will definitely do the job as long as all the computers you are installing it on have windows on it. The family pack is good value as well.

That will definitely do the job as long as all the computers you are installing it on have windows on it. The family pack is good value as well.

Great stuff. Thanks a lot for your help.

No bother man.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

PLease double check if its possible to upgrade from XP.
    Others have said that you have to do a FULL install to go from XP to Win 7.

Biggins wrote: »
    PLease double check if its possible to upgrade from XP.
    Others have said that you have to do a FULL install to go from XP to Win 7.
    Yes you have to do a clean install if you have xp but you can do that with an upgrade disk.

I've just spotted a potential cock up on my behalf. When I reinstalled windows on the netbook a few weeks ago, I must have used the windows disk that came with the 640m because now they're both showing up with the same windows key using magicjellybeans. I do have valid XP licences for each machine.

The good news is, I've found the original product key to the netbook. I had it written down.

Now that the two laptops have the same product key (dumb mistake) will the Windows 7 upgrade block one of them?

I hope I dont have to reinstall XP on the netbook in order to set the product key back to its original, and then install Windows 7?

Magicjellybeans should let you change the product key without re-installing. If not try rockxp. Also seeing as you have to do a clean install (this means wiping the hard drive and installing 7 from scrach) it shouldn't matter if xp is even installed on the hard drive.

Also seeing as you have to do a clean install (this means wiping the hard drive and installing 7 from scrach) it shouldn't matter if xp is even installed on the hard drive.

How do they verify that you have a legitimate copy of XP in order to upgrade to 7 if you wipe the hard drive?

• Advertisement

Trotter wrote: »
    How do they verify that you have a legitimate copy of XP in order to upgrade to 7 if you wipe the hard drive?
    I assume they ask you for the product key but I'm not certain.

Also seeing as you have to do a clean install (this means wiping the hard drive and installing 7 from scrach) it shouldn't matter if xp is even installed on the hard drive.

How do they verify that you have a legitimate copy of XP in order to upgrade to 7 if you wipe the hard drive beforehand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I just installed W7 on an XP machine using an upgrade disk without any issues. I didn't need the product key for XP.

Apparently the installation includes verification that you already have a Windows OS on the machine.

There's a good article here on the whole process.

One thing I wasn't aware of - before the install I had backed up all photos etc. to an external HD assuming they'd be deleted. Not so. All my documents, media and Program files were retained in a folder called Windows.old.

Advertisement