Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand Names - is there any difference?

Options
  • 21-11-2009 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi all,

just a quick question regarding brand names...
    Is there any real difference between brand names when it comes to tile adhesive and silicone sealants?
    I'm using a Unibond wall tile adhesive to tile my bathroom wall (ready mixed in a tub). It costs about EUR30 in BnQ, but I see other brands like Evo-stick bathroom/kitchen wall adhesive on sale for EUR17.50 for a similar sized tub.
    Whats the difference in the quality of these two brands?
    Also, Unibond silicone sealants cost roughly EUR15 but Larson brand costs about EUR5.
    I've seen other brands like Cerafix etc, and I'm just wondering if theres difference in quality when theres a huge difference in price?
    Thanks a million in advance of your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

A tiler is the best to explain this sometimes I dont have the language to talk simple so here is goes.

I never use ready mixed adhesive for anything except kitchen splashbacks. Why? There is a couple of tile adhesives on the market

Rapid Setting

Rapid Flexing

Ready mixed

Rapid setting adhesive sets very fast and solid it is generally used on Ceramics and on concrete floors and has poor movement

Rapid Flexing is a fast setting adhesive it is generally used on Wooden floors,Plaster walls and porc tiles. It flex's ever so slightly whch is why it is suitable for porc.

Ready mixed. This is neither Rapid setting or flexing Generally speaking folks. It grips and holds the tiles and if you notce when removing the tile many years later it is still wet. It should not be used on tiles over 10 x 10 as there is a risk of the grout cracking and the tile falling from the wall when water gets in.

The best adhesive imo on the market is a polymer based rapid flex it is suitable for nearly all tiles. I cannot remmber which ones it not.(I think slate on a concrete floor) Larsen do one in an orange bag with blue stripe

What i am getting at and to answer your question its not the brand so much but the application and in your case I would never use a bucket adhesive in a shower area.

Again I add a cavet that this is just my opinion.

On silicone. Silcone is measured by its pure being. The stronger the smell of alchol of silicone the weaker it is, However sometimes the alchol is confused with the fungacide. Bitch I know. If you buy a cheap silicone It tends to shrink. This then allows water in. A brilliant brant of silicone is the 7 series from Geocel. They do a dedicated bath seal but I use to use there 7 series, I actually forget the number. I think it was 797. Why. It was the closest thing you could come to pure silicone and had a fungacide so it only had a 2% shrinkage. Our adverage bead size was 3-5 mm so the shrink would be less than half a mm which i use to get around by packing the silicone. However it might be easier just to keep an eye on the bead and make sure it does not shrink.

Just in case I was not clear. I never use ready made adhesive and I have never seen a good tiler use it.... Sorry folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Wella

Excellent reply Joey the Lips, thanks a million :D

Advertisement