Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilisation and communication

Options
  • 22-11-2009 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

The ABC thread has given me pause for thought. Civilisation depends on the definition of rules and then the observance of these rules. You can rightly argue that the rules defined by some civilised society are not "correct" but that is not tonight's argument. Tonight's argument is about the importance of observing the defined rules of written communication as they apply to the version of the English language we use in Ireland. The fall off in the use of correct grammar is well documented in the English speaking world, largely ascribed to the influence of the US media. There are enough communication problems around without adding unnecesary problems caused by ignorant or lazy use of the language. What is worse is the pride that some posters take in the improper use of the language. I urge all of the people (even those under 30 years old) to make their posts more credible by attempting to use correct grammar.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

While I fully agree with the sentiment, this is not a shooting-related thread.

Perhaps it might be better suited to another forum?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement