Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C Ronaldo

• 22-11-2009 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

After watching the united game today, Is it just me or is old trafford a boring place with out him.. The Entertainmant factor is not near as good as it was when he was on the pitch.. Still there winning but not in the same style..
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The man is the first, second and third best player in the world. It'll take a while to replace him. Overall i'm happy with the style the team is playing, needs more time for it to click properly.

I'd take him back in a heartbeat though. Viva Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

On the other hand, less diving and petulance.

I don't think United will be worrying about losing Ronaldo after a 3-0 win. Might have been a better time to raise this thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

elius wrote: »
    After watching the united game today, Is it just me or is old trafford a boring place with out him.. The Entertainmant factor is not near as good as it was when he was on the pitch.. Still there winning but not in the same style..
    Cheers

united put 3 past everton 3 different goal scorers great build ups

and it's boring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Cheers

100% agree, less spark around the place and have been over twice this season and the Atmosphere is just muck, no excitement on the pitch and nobody with a bit of flair other than Rooney the odd time to get you to your feet. Its definatly lost a bit of a spark around OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ntlbell wrote: »
    united put 3 past everton 3 different goal scorers great build ups

and it's boring?

theres less of a spark mate

Im not on the edge of seat enough these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

oh good, a cristiano thread. haven't had one of these in a while...

there's not the unpredictability there once was, but at the moment it's hard to argue with a points tally that favours quite well compared to last season.

the team is definitely more 'together', it's plain to see. it's a more cohesive unit without him there. that will have to keep being built in order for utd to get near chelsea over the course of the season.

those bolts out of the blue aren't going to happen without him there.

but utd are certainly still formidable. mainly because of fergie. he doesn't let the mentality change, no matter who his personnel are.

even so, i prefer facing a ronaldo-less utd, than one with him in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Morzadec wrote: »
    On the other hand, less diving and petulance.

I don't think United will be worrying about losing Ronaldo after a 3-0 win. Might have been a better time to raise this thread!

Thats why im bringing it up now.. I watched the match today in my local i managed to sit for the hole 90 before id be standing up or on the edge my seat wondering whats the genius is going to do next.. Before when he got the ball instantly the crowd was up. Just think are football seems a little flat.. To me he will always be number one at old trafford. like George best was to the older fans.. Etc
    Viva Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ronaldo is a cheat, Therefore, the controversy isn't there anymore!! So yes, maybe it is a bit more boring at Old Trafford these days. But sure, there's always the X-Factor and Heat magazine if anyone is bored.

Meanwhile, Ronaldo is injured, sitting in a VIP box at the Bernabeau, texting and laughing and not really paying that much attention to his club struggling to a one nil home win over Racing Santandar who equalised, but whose goal was disallowed through a linesman's f*ck up!!

Now if we can just get rid of Drogba.....happy days!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

monkey9 wrote: »
    one nil home win over Racing Santandar who equalised, but whose goal was disallowed through a linesman's f*ck up!!

when are we organising the "we demand a replay" march?

;)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    when are we organising the "we demand a replay" march?

;)

I'm outside the Portugese embassy now. Where the hell are you?? I'm freezing and it looks like rain!!

• Advertisement

Ronaldo is a cheat, Therefore, the controversy isn't there anymore!! So yes, maybe it is a bit more boring at Old Trafford these days. But sure, there's always the X-Factor and Heat magazine if anyone is bored.

Meanwhile, Ronaldo is injured, sitting in a VIP box at the Bernabeau, texting and laughing and not really paying that much attention to his club struggling to a one nil home win over Racing Santandar who equalised, but whose goal was disallowed through a linesman's f*ck up!!

Now if we can just get rid of Drogba.....happy days!!!!!
    And Stephen Gerrard

He may have gone down easy big swing anyone remember the goal against arsenal last season in the champions league.. Love it

And Stephen Gerrard

He may have gone down easy big swing anyone remember the goal against arsenal last season in the champions league.. Love it

When Babel was fouled?? If that's what you're talking about, it was a peno!!!

I don't defend cheating, even if it is Liverpool.

Ngog should have been banned. It has to start somewhere!!! I'm off topic here though..........or am i? It is about Ronaldo!!!

When Babel was fouled?? If that's what you're talking about, it was a peno!!!

I don't defend cheating, even if it is Liverpool.

Ngog should have been banned. It has to start somewhere!!! I'm off topic here though..........or am i? It is about Ronaldo!!!

Off topic ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I think that Obertan with his pace and flair could bring that back. I dont think he will have the goal return but he brings a bit of life around the place.

There is still enough quality players at United to get the crowd going, even seeing Evra tear down the wing gets me to the edge of my seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

The problem is obvious. United dont possess any exciting players bar the odd Rooney moment. Obertan in his few brief appearances looks like he could have that potential to get people out of their seats but I would still give him a season or two. Its not really a serious problem if the team are still gettng results though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

We didn't look massively exciting in 1998 after Cantona left and granted, we lost the league to Arsenal. But we always bounce back with someone or something more exciting. It'll take us a season or so to get used to missing Ronaldo and I'd imagine Fergie will be looking to next summer to opening the cheque book.

Lads dont get me wrong im not giving out about the team where winning second Nothing could be better only first.. Im just saying Ronaldo love him or hate him he's still a class act and i personaly miss him..

Lads dont get me wrong im not giving out about the team where winning second Nothing could be better only first.. Im just saying Ronaldo love him or hate him he's still a class act and i personaly miss him..

No he's not and he never was.. He's just good at football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

When Obertan came on today you could almost here the fans saying "Ah, finally, here we go!"

Manchester United fans are used to having "that" guy, the ego, the public enemy, the genius. Im not saying Obertan is that guy, far from it, its just that the fans are trying to channel their pineing for "that" player into getting behind Obie, and he is growing in confidence, that is a good thing, but it does show that CR7 is missed.

So yes, i do think Old Trafford misses Cristiano Ronaldo. He was a bastard, but he was our bastard. I knew we would miss him, and the "good riddance" brigade were trying to put a brave face on imo.

I dont think we are missing him in terms of results. But there is a hole in our team. Too much dependance on Wayne Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Ronaldo is a legend, and certainly the worlds best player with Messi close behind, but im happy with the way we are playing at the minute, playing much better as a team, reminiscent of the team mentality of 99, give us a year or two and we will be back at our very best ;)

• Advertisement

No he's not and he never was.. He's just good at football!

My good man he was a class class act a player who brought excitement entertainment and a ego to the prem..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

My good man he was a class class act a player who brought excitement entertainment and a ego to the prem..

i agree with the ego part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I dont miss him. I miss his goals and the energy he brought, but if the team are more together and still win matches without him then grand. I absolutely loath the cosseted millionaire primadonna footballer whos only interested in whats best for him. No loyalty to anything except the mighty pay-cheque. Ronaldo was at the top of that particular tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Agricola wrote: »
    I I absolutely loath the cosseted millionaire primadonna footballer whos only interested in whats best for him. No loyalty to anything except the mighty pay-cheque.

I'm sorry, this separates him from 90% of the players left in the premiership how exactly?

davyjose wrote: »
    I'm sorry, this separates him from 90% of the players left in the premiership how exactly?

Well fair point but I think the main difference is Ive never seen a United player show so little respect to the club as Ronaldo had. He was trying to engineer a move to Madrid in the first year of a five year contract. He was all coy about it during the season then as soon as the summer came we'd be hearing "its my dream to play for Real"

The majority of United fans are pretty indifferent about his move I think. He'l never be mentioned in the same breath as Keane or Cantona. All pro footballers are mercenaries but Ronaldo really took it to the next level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Yeah, it was a little bit galling. But to be honest this happens to smaller clubs than United on a regular basis. It's just that we're not used to it. Real Madrid ARE the biggest club in the world. It's unfortunate for us the best player in the world wanted to play for them.

But Cashley Cole, or Gareth Barry are a lot worse IMO. barry got his long awaited move this summer. And for a number of years, that guy made it clear Villa was not where he wanted to be, a lot more staunchly than CR did at United.

Yeah I think United supporters do (and should) expect abit more decorum from their players though. Im reminded of Juventus getting demoted to Serie B there a couple of years ago. Nedved, Buffon et al took a drop in wages and stuck with the club to make sure they got back to the top flight in one season. Thats the sort of person Id like every United player to be. If they're able to do that, its not asking alot for Ronaldo to honour his contract and shut his mouth while hes playing for a huge club and winning the champions league. Its not like we're holding him back!

Ah, enough said. Hes gone and we made an obscene amount of money out of him. Win - Win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Cheers

Yeah I remember the same game well last season. 6-3 wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

United miss two things about him, his unreal pace and his creative spark. IMO, we've yet to replace that. atm, we're a much much more solid team, but I still think we're lacking something. I do hope however that hte players we have will be able to fill it, but thats yet to be seen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement