Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Victoria Cross Still Flooded?

Options
  • 22-11-2009 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

This is pretty urgent. Is Victoria Cross, and more specifically, Victoria Lodge, still flooded? I kind of have no place to live when I go back to Cork tomorrow, and the complex got flooded out on Fri.

Does anyone know if they'll let me stay there, even though there's probably no electricity, etc?

If anyone can give me any sort of info on this asap, I would appreciate it so so much.

I've been looking on Google earth, but it's difficult to tell if it's underwater or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

bp1989 wrote: »
    This is pretty urgent. Is Victoria Cross, and more specifically, Victoria Lodge, still flooded? I kind of have no place to live when I go back to Cork tomorrow, and the complex got flooded out on Fri.

Does anyone know if they'll let me stay there, even though there's probably no electricity, etc?

If anyone can give me any sort of info on this asap, I would appreciate it so so much.

I've been looking on Google earth, but it's difficult to tell if it's underwater or not.

I think the flood is after receding a bit but I don't think they're letting anyone in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

They say on their website they're providing alt. accommodation. I have no idea what that implies though. They are uncontactable for the weekend, which is really unhelpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

sorry to break it to you, but google earth isnt a live aerial picture.
    best thing to do is ring

I know, but its taken daily. And like I say, nobody to contact. Does anyone live close by that could possibly check for me? I know it's a tall order, but I'm really desperate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I know, but its taken daily. And like I say, nobody to contact. Does anyone live close by that could possibly check for me? I know it's a tall order, but I'm really desperate here.
    No they are not :) - Some can be years old.

But back to your main problem. I wish I could help but my guess is that you won't get in. Hopefully someone can clarify this though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Actually it's not updated daily either, in fact more like every couple of years depending on where you're looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

most certainly not updated daily, thats rather impossible money and technology wise.

best bet is to ring the SU tomorrow morning, check out collegeroad.ie for contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

did you not get the text from UCC today? they said not to go back to campus accomodation and the people from the complexs will contact you during the week...
    go to the campus...student common room, student union, boole. I heard they're housing people up there so they'll prolly give you a floor space if you need it. I live on vic cross. not there now, but it was pretty bad friday like..

pearliefan wrote: »
    did you not get the text from UCC today? they said not to go back to campus accomodation and the people from the complexs will contact you during the week...
    go to the campus...student common room, student union, boole. I heard they're housing people up there so they'll prolly give you a floor space if you need it. I live on vic cross. not there now, but it was pretty bad friday like..

I got a text, it didn't mention campus accommodation though, just lectures.

I got a text, it didn't mention campus accommodation though, just lectures.

oh sorry it was actually an email.... I assume you can log on, but here it is anyway! :)
    ___
    Students that are residents of Victoria Lodge, Castlewhite & University Hall are advised to stay away from the complexes until they have been told it is safe to return. Emergency arrangements have been made for those that need accommodation up to the 30th of November. All students who can stay with their families and friends in Cork or their home counties are advised to do so for as long as possible.
    UCC Campus accommodation will inform students during the week (Nov 23rd-Nov 27th) about arrangements for after November 30th.

Any students living in private student accommodation (not owned by UCC) are asked to contact their landlord to find out what they will be providing for them while they make your accommodation safe. The SU have a limited amount of emergency accommodation so please call one of our helplines if you need somewhere to stay.

Please call us on 021 490 3133, 021 490 2953 or 021 490 3218 if you have any further questions.

edit: also, Those students who cannot use their student accommodation because of flood damage and who have not been able to find alternative accommodation are invited to come to the Student Common Room tomorrow from 10.00 a.m.(saturday) onwards where efforts will be made to find accommodation for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Lol, you're new to this internet lark arent you? :pac:

sdonn wrote: »
    Lol, you're new to this internet lark arent you? :pac:

Lol, Im actually not at all! Doing computer science in college! Now THAT's a lark:pac:

And thank you kindly to pearliefan for the info. I'll have to sort something out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

Hey

I know sum1 who is staying there tonight.. Water is gone... place probably stinks though :-P

Lol, Im actually not at all! Doing computer science in college! Now THAT's a lark:pac:

And thank you kindly to pearliefan for the info. I'll have to sort something out.

No problem! :) and here's something funny- I'm doing computer science too!! haha. no joke like. Did you hear about the western gateway??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

pearliefan wrote: »
    No problem! :) and here's something funny- I'm doing computer science too!! haha. no joke like. Did you hear about the western gateway??

as of noon today

Western Gateway
    The basement has been pumped out and clean up/drying out of transformer/panels has commenced. The power supply/heating is on critical path to allow reoccupation of upper floors. Surveys have commenced and a major review has been scheduled for Monday am. The main auditorium will need complete rebuilding. Carpets are being removed from labs/teaching rooms and clean up of sub-floor is underway.

Advertisement