Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the LGBT so small in UCD

• 22-11-2009 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I was just wondering, why is the UCD LGBT so small?. I'm a member of it, but i dont go to any of the events. This is mainly because most of them are stereotypical. And i don't go for the stereotypes.

Is this the reason for the society being small?

Whats your opinion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

god-hates-fags.jpg

It could be that, or else it's because the events are stereotypical like you said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Possibly it's because only a fraction of the people who join big socs will join LGBT, due to it being something of a niche interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ciaran29391

well then since they have become so alienated from people, who are normal and are gay, rather than people who are all about gay.. aka overly camp/overly butch...
    Would it be a good idea to start up a new soc? like the UCDHSOC, ucd homosexual society lol. :D
    It's just that its hard to meet other normal gay people as they're not easily spotted in the crowd.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

It's actually fairly big on paper, somewhere in the region of 300 members afaik. Active membership is big enough too I think, there were a lot of people at the AGM last year anyway. Maybe if you think they should be doing something different you could e-mail the auditor and ask, or email the SU LGBT Officer who will be organising a number of things after Christmas. They're both very nice and approachable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I was just wondering, why is the UCD LGBT so small?. I'm a member of it, but i dont go to any of the events. This is mainly because most of them are stereotypical. And i don't go for the stereotypes.

Whats your opinion?

well.....when I messaged them about meeting times I got no reply back off facebook so maybe that's one reason for them being so small

• Advertisement

dajaffa wrote: »
    It's actually fairly big on paper, somewhere in the region of 300 members afaik. Active membership is big enough too I think, there were a lot of people at the AGM last year anyway. Maybe if you think they should be doing something different you could e-mail the auditor and ask, or email the SU LGBT Officer who will be organising a number of things after Christmas. They're both very nice and approachable.

Its not that they don't have many events, they do! its just that there's no gay people in it that don't fit the stereotype!.
    They fight for equality and try to stamp out the stereotyping in their work, but most of they themselves are stereotypes....:rolleyes:
    The point i'm trying to get across is that there is no non sterotypical gays in it. I'm gay for a reason, i like MEN, not men who act like women.
    That sounds kind of harsh, but i mean it in an observant way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

there is no non sterotypical gays in it.
    Wouldn't agree with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I considered joining but uh...didn't. Don't know much about it really. They should pimp themselves more.

Wouldn't agree with that.

ok, let me rephrase, there are some non stereotypical, but the majority appear to fit the stereotype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

^ Good for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I was just wondering, why is the UCD LGBT so small?. I'm a member of it, but i dont go to any of the events...

Maybe because a lot of members don't go to events?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BlueLepreachaun

Whats your opinion?

Most societies have a gap between their membership on paper and active members. If you don't go to any of the events how do you know they are small?
    Its not that they don't have many events, they do! its just that there's no gay people in it that don't fit the stereotype!.
    They fight for equality and try to stamp out the stereotyping in their work, but most of they themselves are stereotypes....:rolleyes:
    The point i'm trying to get across is that there is no non sterotypical gays in it. I'm gay for a reason, i like MEN, not men who act like women.
    That sounds kind of harsh, but i mean it in an observant way :)

I agree with that in terms of gay "community" generally, but I don't nessicarily think its a fair criticism of these guys at least not this year which is all I can base my opinion on.

I went to a meeting for the first time last week, and I found them to be a reasonably mixed group.
    The girls were not steriotypical, and though one or two of the lads were campish they weren't the in your face annoying camp and seemed really sound, and thats the diffrence, if someones a bit camp leave them to it, so what, your just not attracted to them, long as they're not an annoying loudmouth (plenty of str8 camp annoying loutmouths its not just a gay thing)
    One of them seemed surprised I was wearing a sports jersey that threw me a bit, but he was good lookin so he gets away with it. :cool:

Its not the fault of people who are more steriotypical that non-steriotypical people don't go.

Too many non steriotypical people dont have the balls to come out of the ****ing closet, if they did we'd have a lot less problems, they have sex with lads then brag to their mates about how many (imaginary) girls they shagged to overcompensate all the while terrified their mates will find out, its a classic pattern, and the fears 90% unjustified, my mates were fine with it, even lads i knew I'd shared a locker room with in the past didn't give a rats ass, our generation generally doens't, and if they do ...**** um.

The auditor is a bit slow in responding all rite a second email i sent never got a reply a week later, but again thats not uncommon in UCD societies (the ComedySoc website hasn't been updated since 2006 depsite the society still being active...I don't think the C&E even have a website anymore)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Cubscout

I really regret not joining this, I have no gay friends at all(let alone in UCD), feel kind of alienated I suppose. I don't care for stereotypes really, I am just kicking myself for not availing of LGBT society.:mad:

If your still in UCD why can't you join it now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Cubscout

I don't know the event listings so I never get to know when something is on.

I don't know the event listings so I never get to know when something is on.
    Sorted....

A coffee morning is basically sitting around chatting about random **** the same way you do with your mates hanging around any other part of college.

Monday 23rd Nov:
    Irish Coffee/ Christmas cake afternoon 12-3 in the Blue Room.

Wednesday 25th Nov: Coffee morning from 10-12 in Meeting Room 1+2 in the student center

Friday 27th Nov:
    UCD LGBT Christmas Party. Astra Hall from 8:30-9:45 then off somwhere I don't know where

The blue room is upstarrs on the way to the health service, you'll see it just ask at desk where it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Here is their event calender and facebook group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'm not sure but I remember reading an article in one of the college papers a few years back with someone who was a member, he that it is quite cliquey and about "the beautiful people" and that he felt alienated. Maybe people get that impression when they join and don't turn up again. It would explain why they are big on paper but not that big with actual active people.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I'm not sure but I remember reading an article in one of the college papers a few years back with someone who was a member, he that it is quite cliquey and about "the beautiful people" and that he felt alienated. Maybe people get that impression when they join and don't turn up again. It would explain why they are big on paper but not that big with actual active people.

Half of 1st years get that impression of the entire college, its sadly horrably predictable, I've lost count of the amount of people I've tried to convince that its' not like that. People get that impression, then they're scared off but most of the time its just that: an impression, or more like an assumption, some people all the need to see is a cantebury logo or blond hair (on guys or girls) and bam they start making hoardes and hoardes of assumptions about people being assholes.
    Then the idea that its a clique becomes a self fullfilling prophecy because they withdraw and don't mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SarahChambers

Look, I don't want to appear homophobic, I really am not a homophobe. Gay people should not be discriminated against in society, but I don't think there shouldn't be a gay society in UCD, a predominantly Catholic university.

• Advertisement

Look, I don't want to appear homophobic, I really am not a homophobe. Gay people should not be discriminated against in society, but I don't think there shouldn't be a gay society in UCD, a predominantly Catholic university.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D oh...oh man I think I just pissed myself I was laughin so hard at that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Whut? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

epic-fail-name-fail1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Gay people should not be discriminated against in society, but I don't think there shouldn't be a gay society in UCD, a predominantly Catholic university.

If the gheys weren't allowed have a society, wouldn't that be discrimination?

Obvious contradiction is obvious.

Notorious wrote: »
    If the gheys weren't allowed have a society, wouldn't that be discrimination?

Obvious contradiction is obvious.

Yes, I said but, which would indicate that the statement which follows is a special case.

A legion of mary guy stopped me an my mate on the concourse at UCD one day and suggested we join, the poor guy could not have picked two less worthy recruits, a homo and a str8 manwhore.

Check out the catholic style skirts on the girls in the student bar, and the catholic style tight tshirts on the lads, its all very catholic, I'm sure they're not trying to get laid but just...tempting themselves to test their commitment.
    Yes, I said but, which would indicate that the statement which follows is a special case.

Religous fundamentalists have socieites too, they're just not very popular, so everyone is catered for you see ;)

A lot of UCD societies don't adhere to the catholic ethos. There's a Muslim society for example. Just because the majority are one way doesn't mean the various minorities cannot be catered for. The Muslim society has no more an effect on Catholics then the LGBT soc, it just not a part of their life.

Boston wrote: »
    A lot of UCD societies don't adhere to the catholic ethos. There's a Muslim society for example. Just because the majority are one way doesn't mean the various minorities cannot be catered for. The Muslim society has no more an effect on Catholics then the LGBT soc, it just not a part of their life.

That is a good point. I think I may have been wrong actually. Sorry to anyone I offended I didn't think it through. I really am not homophobic and I am not actually religious myself.

Boston wrote: »

A lot don't? I can't think of any that do!

Don't tell me the B&L, C&E have a catholic ethos!
    Unless Dramasoc has one, I've never ventured behind that desk under the stairs there might be a cathedral in there behind those black doors for all I know...

..I don't think GameSocs dungeons and dragons games count as catholic, in fact thats probably considerd pagan....erm...
    ..L&H don't count as catholic unless obnoxiousness is a sacrament

...FilmSoc might have shown Jesus of Nazerath once...though it's 9 hours long and the attention span of the average UCD student is 30 seconds so probably not....

...GermanSoc are probably prods....

.....I doubt the Islamic Society is big on Jesus....

....so apart from the St Vincent De Paul and Christian Union I don't think any are catholic.

I'd doubt theres more than a handful out of the 18,000 student body that attend church weekly anyway, and our weekend antics are definitly not christian (some are more like Rome in jesus time tho..thats...KINDA christian)
    That is a good point. I think I may have been wrong actually. Sorry to anyone I offended I didn't think it through. I really am not homophobic and I am not actually religious myself.
    Like the taxi driver that says DA POLES and DA BLACKS are takin over...I'm not racist now!

• Advertisement

Like the taxi driver that says DA POLES and DA BLACKS are takin over...I'm not racist now!

You can't be going around calling every one whose ignorant of the realities of LGBT issues a homophobe. Especially when they've just taken on board the points you've made and adjusted their attitude. It's counter productive.

Advertisement