Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to External Hard Drive through Router

Options
  • 22-11-2009 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Hi

i have recently switched provider from Eircom to Vodafone broadband.
    The problem i'm having is that i can connect a philips External Hard drive to my Router through the USB connection,using a wirless connection between my Laptop and router, and goint to the IP address of the router i can see that the Hard Drive is connected to the router but i cannot connect to the router,i have tried to map the drive and get so far with the process and it asks me for a password,i have tried all the passwords that i have(PC username and password,router username and password)but none seem to work.The router is a HUAWEI HG556a,there were no instructions supplied for the router other than a few simple set up steps,i rang vodafone and they said that they could not assist with a periphary device set(why send me something that can accept peripharies but refuse to support it).
    There does not seem to be instructions on the net for this device.
    Am i doing something wrong,is my hard drive compatable(Philips Portable External Hard drive-SPE2010cc/10.

Help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I'm just guessing on this one.

But I don't think the USB port on the router is ment to be used in such a way.

The hard drive straight into the router is skipping layers of the OSI model.

Hook the USB port up too a computer then share the drive threw the computer. That would be how I would do network storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jonathan W

Hi There,
    Did you get an answer to this issue.
    I would have agreed that it should not have worked but the management console tells you that it should work.
    I have just got the HG556a as well and when I connet an external HD to the router, the managment cosole shows it as available but I cannot map to the drive or see it.

Anyone any ideas?

Its like the USB port's are not open or configured in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hi

I got a reply from Paul the Vodafone support guy that is assigned to Boards,he says that he may have a fix but he has to dig it out.

Rgds

Clinton

Thats great. Let me know if you get anything out of them.
    I emailed the maufactor in china so we will see.

Have you tried a Vodafone dongle in the top usb slot

I have and it doesnt work.

Another phone call to tech support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭divine tomasz

hi there !
    if u google hg556a u will come across thread here on boards.ie about flashing this modem or firmware upgrade . have a look there first .
    anyway vodafone has no idea how to use this device , i've been told that they dont support it at the moment :D . we obtained login/password to advanced setup ( admin/VF-IRhg556 ) . now, if u want use external hdd connected to the modem dont go ftp way . every os got map network drive feature - thats all u need . type in \\192.168.1.1 and click browse . u will see under network shared/usb drive , by default drive name will be USBDisk_1 . if ur hdd is ntfs , u won't be able to write to drive or use iso files (:mad: ) if fat32 ur limited to 4gb per file ( no iso again :mad: )

Ps. modem is workin on BETA firmware at the moment , so thats why its performance is so poor . i won't shoot far of saying that all hg556a got issues with connection ( pages not loading , connection timed out , pictures not loading ...etc ) , but thats just part of the truth . vodafone servers r guilty too , the routing of traffic is broken ( try tracert command in win , lets say www.speedtest.net ) . anyway very poor service from vodafone , as still they tryin to cover up , still sending broken devices ( bewan modem got same issues ) . will be changing isp shortly .

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

• Advertisement

Fantastic,:D

That works great,

Like the speed test too I am getting around 6Mb download and Next to nothing up, but thats ok for me.

Could you tell me how to access the advanced menu :o settings as I cannot see were to put in the login/password to advanced setup ( admin/VF-IRhg556 )

Cheers for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭divine tomasz

aloha !
    just go to ur browser address bar , type 192.168.1.1 , dont login using vodafone/vodafone ( thats user account ) , use admin/VF-IRhg556 instead . be carefull !!! dont change any settings if u dont know what r they !!!
    greetings !

• Registered Users Posts: 28 joeyla

Update for newer modems. Login using

User: advanced
    Pass: advanced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Bloody Brilliant! When I joined Vodafone first I heard this was crap but decided to have a go again and it's working brilliant! Extremely handy!

Advertisement