Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 106 **LIVE THREAD** SPOILERS INSIDE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ceauke

Is it just me or do these guys look slow in their punching? Maybe it's because Kosh v Johnson was so fast

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Tito is exhausted

This needs five rounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Jesus this is hard to watch... I was a huge Tito fan back in the day. Credit to Forrest, he's beatin him down.

rovert wrote: »
    Tito is exhausted

This needs five rounds
    +1 on that. Forrest just getting better each round

consultech wrote: »
    Jesus this is hard to watch... I was a huge Tito fan back in the day. Credit to Forrest, he's beatin him down.

I wonder if his back flared up or that he didnt have the conditioning?

• Advertisement

I wonder if his back flared up or that he didnt have the conditioning?

Could be a number of things. Tito Ortiz being gassed would be the most ludicrous of them all. Before he tells us in post fight Im guessing he didn't have enough time after surgery.

Could be a number of things. Tito Ortiz being gassed would be the most ludicrous of them all. Before he tells us in post fight Im guessing he didn't have enough time after surgery.
    Jeez, tough crowd. Even Forrest tried to help out. :D

Well he just did, a fractured skull and a bulging disc in his neck.

Anyone else think it's a bit cheeky for him to wear a t-shirt saying ''RUN FORREST RUN'' and then acting like their on good terms?, seems like something you'd wear if you hated the guy

Meh, usual excusefest. He's still a snifflepuss I see.

Tito's conditioning has never been a consideration; but he had his mouth open at the end of rd 1. Looked very sluggish in the punch throughout, all he really looked sharp with was his short elbows from the mount. Even his takedowns looked weak enough; This suggests his back might never be 100% again. Just looked slow tbh.

Fair play to Forrest though, he's improved since the "incident".

• Advertisement

Anyone else think it's a bit cheeky for him to wear a t-shirt saying ''RUN FORREST RUN'' and then acting like their on good terms?, seems like something you'd wear if you hated the guy

Or if really thought you were going to win :pac:

A strange and great show, nite

Tito's the quintessential villain, and a hype-machine. He's the original Brock. Forrest doesn't mind at all I'd wager; that kind of stuff sells more PPV. He feels it in his bank, not his heart.

I think it's an act. In Dana's blog, him and Dana were hugging and all and I was wondering about all the talk about Dana hating him. I guess they know in the end together they need to give some sort of show that advances the sport and doesn't look too much like WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

All and all that was an excellent card!

That main event did suck though! Dont really ever want to see ortiz fight again, and not too bothered watching forrest fight again either. Tito didnt do himself any favours blaming his performance on that list of injuries, especially since before the fight he said he was injury free, and the best he had been in years.. He's basically lost all credibilty now.

The fight itself was poor. Neither of them are very good fighters at this stage, and it really showed.

Besides that though, it was a cracking event! Nog, saunders, stiropolous, and koscheck all put on stellar performances and the thiago/volkmann fight was a war, it should get fight of the night imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Delighted for Koscheck, doesn't seem to be attracting the booing as bad as he used to either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

knew forest would shine through :D had a nice accumulator with forest, koshcheck, nogueria and kendal grove :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

All and all that was an excellent card!

That main event did suck though! Dont really ever want to see ortiz fight again, and not too bothered watching forrest fight again either. Tito didnt do himself any favours blaming his performance on that list of injuries, especially since before the fight he said he was injury free, and the best he had been in years.. He's basically lost all credibilty now.

The fight itself was poor. Neither of them are very good fighters at this stage, and it really showed.

Besides that though, it was a cracking event! Nog, saunders, stiropolous, and koscheck all put on stellar performances and the thiago/volkmann fight was a war, it should get fight of the night imo.

is a talent! I Think he is going to rocket up, very soon. His passing is very good and he's quick. Can't wait to see him again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I wonder what cowzerp made of that :D

Really enjoyed the little nog fight, great addition to UFC, Davis is washed up now,pity as i enjoy watching him but think he should wrap it up, overall the whole show was good last night and i really enjoyed it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 syncsyncboot

cowzerp wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the little nog fight, great addition to UFC, Davis is washed up now,pity as i enjoy watching him but think he should wrap it up, overall the whole show was good last night and i really enjoyed it.

Agreed - Davis' swan-song will be in Dublin or else he is retired. Lost brutally....

Davis vs. Baroni Main Event for Dublin :P

Davis vs. Baroni Main Event for Dublin :P

I would honestly love this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Crazy to hear he cuts 20 odd pounds before fights. Absolutely retarded in terms of long-term longevity, he should be at 185. Will he be first in line for a shot at GSP if he wins this? The sooner he gets a shot the better, then he can move up.
    20 lbs isn't a huge amount for a top class WW, GSP cuts at least this much.
    Which is why is is so much bigger than the average WW.

And Dan Hardy is next in line.
    You really don't think Forrest is a good fighter? Do you have "Peoples Syndrome", ie leg kicks don't count.
    Forrest is still lands more leg kicks than any other fighter. He completely destroyed Titos left leg. His punching is still top class, his guard and his conditioning is one of the best out there. He is one of the only fighters who gets more active in later rounds. Which is why in round three Tito can barely stand (that left leg wouldn't help) and Forrest is still firing out combos.

I thought it was a good ME. Certain styles are more exciting to watch, Tito is GnP, and Forrest is a stand up striker. Which lends itself to a very technical match. Which is what we got. And while we might not have gotten many highlight reel moments, it was a great fight to watch and learn (for spectators and potential fighters)

Considering the fact that the show lost its real main event, Brock v Carwin, the whole show did very well to hold its own.

But a couple of questions (I was in the pub, no sound until the ME).
    What was going on when they were showing Hardy after the Josh Kos fight?
    And what was Tito saying afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭cletus

Koscheck was calling out Hardy, so camera cut to him.

Tito was getting booed, so he was saying win or lose he's there to put on a show etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Kos went down in my estimation a lot, that Knee, albeit illegal, never touched him or his eye that he moaned about. Prob just wanted time as he was rocked.

As for Tito making excuses, saying he had a fractured skull, no feckin way would he have been given clearance to fight, as just before the weigh ins all fighters go through a pretty tight medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Also think Marcus will de released from his contract this week, although it wouldn't harm to keep a half decent crowd pleaser on the roster i've seen many other fighters dropped for far less

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Forrest Griffin

forrest-griffin1.jpg

aka

Pillow Hands

pillow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Mellor wrote: »
    Forrest is still lands more leg kicks than any other fighter. He completely destroyed Titos left leg. His punching is still top class, his guard and his conditioning is one of the best out there. He is one of the only fighters who gets more active in later rounds. Which is why in round three Tito can barely stand (that left leg wouldn't help) and Forrest is still firing out combos.

I thought it was a good ME. Certain styles are more exciting to watch, Tito is GnP, and Forrest is a stand up striker. Which lends itself to a very technical match. Which is what we got. And while we might not have gotten many highlight reel moments, it was a great fight to watch and learn (for spectators and potential fighters)

If you think forrests punching is top class you should watch more fights. He had no snap to his punches the other nite, and not much speed or power. Forrests guard is no great shakes either. look at the damage he has taken in it in his last 3 fights, especially the evans fight.

You think that was a very technical match lol?

All though they are both very tough dudes, they both looked very average in that fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

scudzilla wrote: »
    Kos went down in my estimation a lot, that Knee, albeit illegal, never touched him or his eye that he moaned about. Prob just wanted time as he was rocked.

I seen a finger go in his eye just before the knee, he would of got time after the illegal blow so why would he make an excuse about an eye poke?

Davei141 wrote: »
    I seen a finger go in his eye just before the knee, he would of got time after the illegal blow so why would he make an excuse about an eye poke?

Nope, no eye poke at all.

There was a knee strike, which was blocked by Koscheck's arm, so wouldn't have caused any damage. Johnson glanced his forehead with his right hand, but nowhere near the left eye, which is the one Koscheck was exxageratedly squinting.

There was a surprising amount of messing in a couple of fights alright; maybe they were all watchin the world cup qualifier durin the week or somethin. When replayed, the knee was a bit of a soft reason to be rollin around, imo lookin for a stoppage. Kos only got his sight back when it was replayed in slow-mo half a dozen times and he was starting to get booed coz Johnson hit arm first.

The great thing about the way Dana and the Fertittas run the UFC is that shíte like this isn't tolerated, and any fighter who is messin around will be unceremoniously dropped on his ass faster than he can say "illegal head strike".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Consult your not understanding it, he had no reason to lie about the eye poke! he was allowed 5minutes regardless because of the illegal knee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Watch the reply when johnson was on his knee just before he gets up to knee koscheck, the thumb catches him in the left eye. Most of the replays dont show it apart from a few, but it happened right before johnson tried to grab his neck while on his knee.

Advertisement