Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 106 **LIVE THREAD** SPOILERS INSIDE

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

consultech wrote: »
    Nope, no eye poke at all.

There was a knee strike, which was blocked by Koscheck's arm, so wouldn't have caused any damage. Johnson glanced his forehead with his right hand, but nowhere near the left eye, which is the one Koscheck was exxageratedly squinting.

There was a surprising amount of messing in a couple of fights alright; maybe they were all watchin the world cup qualifier durin the week or somethin. When replayed, the knee was a bit of a soft reason to be rollin around, imo lookin for a stoppage. Kos only got his sight back when it was replayed in slow-mo half a dozen times and he was starting to get booed coz Johnson hit arm first.

The great thing about the way Dana and the Fertittas run the UFC is that shíte like this isn't tolerated, and any fighter who is messin around will be unceremoniously dropped on his ass faster than he can say "illegal head strike".
    :confused: didnt the doctor look at his eye and actually tell the ref to stop the match??? didnt seem like he was faking to me. Thought there was swelling?
    What would have happened if the ref stopped it then? tie?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

adamski8 wrote: »
    :confused: didnt the doctor look at his eye and actually tell the ref to stop the match??? didnt seem like he was faking to me. Thought there was swelling?
    What would have happened if the ref stopped it then? tie?

Not a tie, just a No Contest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Consult your not understanding it, he had no reason to lie about the eye poke! he was allowed 5minutes regardless because of the illegal knee.

... I understand it fine. My understanding doesn't make it right though. My point was: What would have happened if Kos couldn't continue after 5 mins? He wasn't exactly winning the fight comfortably before it. imo he was looking for a stoppage.

...and yeah, the ref said "stop the fight", but Kos was fighting 100% 30 seconds later. He has his eye closed when the doctor was "examining" him, who makes two weak attemptes to open it (watch it back). Looks fine a few mins later in the post-fight. A serious eye-poke like the one he was portraying isn't shaken off like that, at least non I've ever experienced personally or seen first hand.

Annoyingly, I just bothered to watch it again on sky+, despite knowing what I saw live. I still don't see no poke. Kos has his eyes open before and after the knee comes in, and only reacts (immediately) to a "poke" from Johnson's glancing right by clutching at the eye it landed nowhere-near.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

At no point was Koscheck in trouble in that fight, he totally dominated Johnson, so i dont know what you are talking about with him looking for the stoppage.

Davei141 wrote: »
    At no point was Koscheck in trouble in that fight, he totally dominated Johnson, so i dont know what you are talking about with him looking for the stoppage.

$,000's for a rematch wouldn't have been reason enough, no? Right so...

Koscheck seems like a right douchebag from anything I've ever seen of him, his twitter is a car crash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you think forrests punching is top class you should watch more fights. He had no snap to his punches the other nite, and not much speed or power. Forrests guard is no great shakes either. look at the damage he has taken in it in his last 3 fights, especially the evans fight.

You think that was a very technical match lol?

All though they are both very tough dudes, they both looked very average in that fight.

I mean in punching in terms of consistency, not speed or power. He keeps firing combos late into the final rounds, and other are struggling to keep hands, so out boxes them here.

I never meant it was a great example of a technical match, I said fights between these kind of fighters tend to be like that. Grinding down, as opposed to banging away.

I agree that Forrest has taken damage on the ground, but his guard is still top class. AFAIK, nobody has ever passed his half guard. Which is pretty impressive considering he is fighting at the top for so long.

HAHAHAHAHA, So Tito moaned he had a fractured skull, and that was why he lost :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Nevada State Athletic Commission issued medical suspensions to 10 competitors from this past weekend's UFC 106 card, and Forrest Griffin, Luiz Cane, Marcus Davis and Jason Dent could all be out of action for up to six months for everything from broken noses to a foot injury.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) recently requested and today received the full list of suspensions from the NSAC.

UFC 106 took place Nov. 21 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas and aired on Spike TV and then pay-per-view.

Griffin, who edged Tito Ortiz via split decision in the night's headliner, could be out until Mat 21 due to a possible right foot injury. However, if X-rayed and cleared by a doctor, Griffin can return early from the suspension.

The same goes for Cane (possible right orbital fracture) and Davis and Dent (broken noses). However, all the above fighters except Dent were issued mandatory medical suspensions of two months or less.

The full list of suspensions includes:

* Forrest Griffin: Suspended until May 21 due to a right foot injury but can be cleared early by a doctor; regardless, minimum suspension until Dec. 22 with no contact during training until Dec. 13
    * Anthony Johnson: Suspended until Dec. 22 with no contact until Dec. 13 for precautionary reasons
    * Paulo Thiago: Suspended until Dec. 22 with no contact until Dec. 13 due to nasal-bridge cut
    * Jacob Volkmann: Suspended until Dec. 6 due to scalp and nasal-brudge cuts
    * Luiz Cane: Suspended until May 21 due to possible right orbital fracture but can be cleared early by an oral, maxilla and facial doctor; regardless, minimum suspension until Jan. 6 with no contact during training until Dec. 22
    * Phil Baroni: Suspended until Jan. 6 with no contact until Dec. 22 due to left eyebrow and scalp lacerations
    * Marcus Davis: Suspended until May 21 due to a broken nose but can be cleared early by a doctor; regardless, suspended until Jan. 6 with no conact until Dec. 22 due to multiple cuts
    * Brock Larson: Suspended until May 21 due to a broken nose but can be cleared early by a doctor; regardless, suspended until Jan. 21 with no conact until Jan. 6 due to multiple cuts
    * George Sotiropoulos: Suspended until Dec. 22 with no contact until Dec. 13 due to cut over left eyebrow
    * Jason Dent: Suspended until May 21 due to a possible left knee injury but can be cleared early by an orthopedic doctor

Guess Tito's tellin porky pies again :rolleyes::rolleyes:

... I understand it fine. My understanding doesn't make it right though. My point was: What would have happened if Kos couldn't continue after 5 mins? He wasn't exactly winning the fight comfortably before it. imo he was looking for a stoppage.

...and yeah, the ref said "stop the fight", but Kos was fighting 100% 30 seconds later. He has his eye closed when the doctor was "examining" him, who makes two weak attemptes to open it (watch it back). Looks fine a few mins later in the post-fight. A serious eye-poke like the one he was portraying isn't shaken off like that, at least non I've ever experienced personally or seen first hand.

Annoyingly, I just bothered to watch it again on sky+, despite knowing what I saw live. I still don't see no poke. Kos has his eyes open before and after the knee comes in, and only reacts (immediately) to a "poke" from Johnson's glancing right by clutching at the eye it landed nowhere-near.
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/davis77/1y1tw7.gif

Yeah, that's great; but that inconclusive GIF still doesnt explain his miraculous instantaneous recovery from an ordinarily debilitating injury...

1y1tw7.gif

That's changed my opinion slightly, i missed this as only watched the fight once

Still think Kos is a c0ck though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭cletus

the gif above looks to me like Johnson only caught him across the nose

cletus wrote: »
    the gif above looks to me like Johnson only caught him across the nose
    god! bit of a coincidence that that happened right before the "knee" and after his left eye was damaged!
    Maybe this forum would suit ye better http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

Yeah, that's great; but that inconclusive GIF still doesnt explain his miraculous instantaneous recovery from an ordinarily debilitating injury...
    Im always amazed how the fighters fight sometimes straight away after an eye poke or kick to the groin. id be in agony for hours

Advertisement