Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WHY KARMA WHY??

• 22-11-2009 4:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Ok,I never ever scratch discs, and so when I bought Modern Warfare 2 I didn make an exception. They offered me insurance on the disc and as tempted as I was, I literally brought enough to pay it off without the insurance. So whatever I did, Karma decided to destroy my favourite game:mad:. Now I love d aul Xbox but I moved it less than an inch to fix the TV cable and the disc got scratched to sh*t inside it so im fairly pissed. So does anyone know if disc repairs in-store in GameStop etc are decent enough to fix a complete circular scratch or am I fcuked till I can afford a new one?:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

same happened to my friends pes 2010 game.

A perfect circle scratch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Kev23

Yeah, jus the whole way around in the perfect spot to make it freeze at the start menu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Kev23 wrote: »
    Yeah, jus the whole way around in the perfect spot to make it freeze at the start menu!

Rub toothpaste into the circular scratch, rub it in a wax on/wax off fashion for a little while, like 20 minutes, then rinse the disc off and dry it with a microcloth/spectactles cloth.

Give it a go - worked for Tiger Woods 2007 for me when my xbox fell over and ate into the disc.

There's a spot in town, maybe it's Peats, that'll remove the scratches on 3 discs for €10. There's also some JML disc repair thing in Tesco/Dunnes that might sort it out. Most of the non-toothpaste methods involve removing a very small layer of plastic off the bottom of the disc to lessen/remove the scratch so there's hope for you yet :)

First mod I ever did on my xbox was install a few pads inside the DVD unit to stop that **** happening

Cheers TouchingVirus. heard about that toothpaste one but never thought of tryin it. Must give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,221 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

For the toothpaste trick you're better off rubbing straight from the centre of the disc towards the edge. No circular motions at all. As the toothpaste is creating lots of smaller scratches to get rid of the bigger one.

The disc reads in circles, so you want the new straches to be perpendicular to the reading motion and not to curve around with it. If you get me!

• Advertisement

So basically my scratch is light enough to be bypassed with the right methods and its not a total loss(well, hopefully)?

Master of the Universe

It really depends how deep the scratch is. The shop disc repair/toothpaste trick both just burn a bit of the disc off. So you get the plastic down to a point where there's no scratch interfering with the laser reading the data.

Seeing as it's a brand new game I'd go for the mechanical disc repair in shops. If it doesn't work the first time you can always bring it back and have it resurfaced again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

So basically my scratch is light enough to be bypassed with the right methods and its not a total loss(well, hopefully)?

Of course, your disc only skimmed across the top of the laser surround. The scratches are deep enough to misdirect the laser when it passes through the clear plastic to the top layer's underside, but are most likely not the scratches that'll render your disc unsaveable.

There's a limit to how much resurfacing you can get done because there is a minimum thickness required, but the disc should be good for two passes on a resurfacing machine. I'd try the toothpaste thing first though, what have you got to lose? It'll either work and you don't have to get the disc done professionally or it won't and you're in the same position you are now :)

Yeah, I know what ya mean. jus thinkin now, it is only a couple of days old so Ill prob jus try the mechanical way in d shop tomorrow jus to be on d safe side cos theres no other scrathes apart from that one, but if that doesn work ill go for the toothpaste then. Cheers for the help.

Master of the Universe

I'd try the toothpaste thing first though, what have you got to lose? It'll either work and you don't have to get the disc done professionally or it won't and you're in the same position you are now :)

That actually makes a lot more sense than what I said :pac:

Good luck with the toothpaste Kev23. It takes a bit of effort (And will probably take a lot of effort with a scratch as big as yours) but it does work.

Use a sock to apply it/rub it in. And only a pea sized amount of paste.

And whatever you do, make sure to clean off/dry the disc before you put it in the machine! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

GameStop offer disc insurance now? How much do they charge? Just another one of the dozen questions you're asked when buying offline now I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Or you could just do the unethical thing and rent it out of xtravision and swap the discs, bring it back saying the disc doesnt work, play dumb, and voila, new MW2.....

Not that id condone that kind of thing....

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Fieldog wrote: »
    Or you could just do the unethical thing and rent it out of xtravision and swap the discs, bring it back saying the disc doesnt work, play dumb, and voila, new MW2.....

Not that id condone that kind of thing....

:p

Hmmm, you're a really bad b@astard, good idea though! :D

Must keep that one in mind.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

A method is to get a lend of a working copy of MW2 and install it to your harddrive then just use your scratched disc to bypass the security check! I do this with my copy of MW1!

MOD EDIT: suggesting to rip of a rental store is frowned apon here...in future this suggesting so will result in a temp ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Just go to xtravision, (a big one) if there is someone sound on just ask can they by any chance throw it into the repair machine. They get lightly scratched discs all the time and most big stores have the repair machines on site for it, obviously its cheaper than them having to replace the disk every time one comes back scratched.

Then you can get started on the 6 hour campaign and the laziest writing team in the world can get paid... again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

My Gears disk was scratched to Feck and got the missus to bring it to work (smyths) and voila plays perfectly now so yep for the few quid they charge it works a dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

craze7 wrote: »
    A method is to get a lend of a working copy of MW2 and install it to your harddrive then just use your scratched disc to bypass the security check! I do this with my copy of MW1!.

Easiest method by far

Get a friends copy
    Install on your hard drive
    Give your friend his copy back
    Then when you want to play, insert your scratched copy
    Xbox checks do you have a valid copy of the game (you do) and everything works perfectly

I have done this with Lego Star Wars as mine got damaged but I wanted to play more of it.

No scams or polishing needed. Takes the length of time needed for the game to install and costs nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

They offered me insurance on the disc and as tempted as I was, I literally brought enough to pay it off without the insurance.

I don't understand this, you buy your games somewhere that offer insurance on the disk ?!?

Yeah, I actually thought about that too, cos I have a mate who has it and will lend it to me. I didn think too much into it cos I dont have a HDD at the mo. Im gettin one shortly so now I know it does actually work ill try that way too once I get it. Thanks.

Jip wrote: »
    I don't understand this, you buy your games somewhere that offer insurance on the disk ?!?

Yeah, GameStop offer it on discs now, its a fairly new thing. I dunno what exactly is covered when you buy it tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Vegeta wrote: »
    No scams or polishing needed. Takes the length of time needed for the game to install and costs nothing

I had an issue with an SF4 disc getting scratched like this, but the scratch was that bad that it wouldnt bypass the security check, so it may or may not work this way....

Hope you get it sorted OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Jip wrote: »

Its 3e for 12 months. Covers anything happening to the disk. If the disk stops working its replaced with a pre owned copy.

Advertisement