Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nothing to see here... (SU/Facebook...)

• 22-11-2009 4:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

EDIT:

We're friends again. Its fine.

1) Dont delete class reps again pls.
    2) You've really upset LOADS of unionised workers on campus, I suggest you get in touch with them
    3) In Soviet Russia, government criticise you. Freedom of speech and all that.

With love,
    D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lsuzanne1987

Can we have a summary of this please? Its Sunday and I don't feel like reading it all. Is it the jist that the students union deleted you for voicing your opinion?oh get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭moggins7

Come on now, no one drinks in the SU bar anymore! And what a shame that is.
    But yeah, it does seem like an overreaction *cry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Its not an overreaction, its a well written post that portrays a microcosm of how our Union apparently treats its members if they happen to disagree with them.

Keeps us up to date please PE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lsuzanne1987

It was written at 3.59am on a Sunday morning probably after a night out.

If you are so incensed by the way the Union are treating you, go into the President's office and ask why this has happened and who looks after the facebook?? I don't think boards.ie is necessarily the right place to put it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

If you are so incensed by the way the Union are treating you, go into the President's office and ask why this has happened and who looks after the facebook?? I don't think boards.ie is necessarily the right place to put it.

Why isn't boards the right place to put it? He mentions in the post that he wants his classmates to read it. I suppose you could put it on facebook, but then again not everyone is on that, and to be fair, if it was on fb nobody would pay any attention to it.

Personally I think it's a bit ridiculous that the SU feel the need to delete someone just because they wrote something that disagreed with their views on their own page. It's basically saying that us, as (unvoluntary) members of the union, can't disagree with their decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

. Is it the jist that the students union deleted you for voicing your opinion?oh get over it!

Cool post. Enjoy your Blizzards. You obviously dont understand the role an SUs official facebook page plays.

As a Class Rep, I want to work for my class on issues relevant to them and forge closer links with the workers on campus. So being deleted from the main source of engagement between Manooth students and the SU (Because they're obviously not interested in the upkeep of nuimsu.com) is a big deal. Its actually censorship. It made them look petty, it showed them up for lacking real, proper, half decent politics.

This actually winds me up.

Errr Errrrrr, wrong- but nice presumption. Could you post an arguement like that after a night out (screencaps and all). Maybe on Fanta. I was busy last night organising for a bookfair I was working at all day today. I wrote the arguement during the day and reposted it here at night. Sorry.

Its not an overreaction, its a well written post that portrays a microcosm of how our Union apparently treats its members if they happen to disagree with them.

Cheers! As I said in my post, it'd be the s ame if it was a member of Fine Gael, Labour, the Christian Union, any individual student or an alumni student. You can't delete students (not least those elected to union council commitees) over opinions posted on their own page.

Either accept that you represent US (and are thus open to our criticism), or do the right thing and dont represent us.

It's basically saying that us, as (unvoluntary) members of the union, can't disagree with their decisions.

Spot.on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I think boards.ie - along with Indymedia and any public forum - is a fine place to put it. If students think their Union is acting the fool then the public forum is the place to call them out on it. Here, on facebook, wherever the people are.

Still, I'd have expected better decorum from the playground than this ''You're not my friend anymore'' crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Still, I'd have expected better decorum from the playground than this ''You're not my friend anymore'' crap.

The S.U cant do that, they really cant.

The only times I think it would be acceptable are:

1) A racist comment on the SU Facebook page
    2) A serious sexist comment on the SU Facebook page (the lines can be blurrier here....)
    3) A NASTY comment attacking the SU on their Facebook page.

What somebody reposts on their own page is their business.

Meh, they've accepted the re-add. I'm willing to leave it.

To most of the SU Exec: I'm sure you dont even know the password to the page, whatever.

To whoever runs the page: seriously, grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

New title, do you want rid of this now or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

PrivateEye wrote: »
    As a Class Rep, I want to work for my class on issues relevant to them and forge closer links with the workers on campus. So being deleted from the main source of engagement between Manooth students and the SU is a big deal.
    I thought that the main source of engagement was via the class rep(you) and Union Council? As well as you actually interacting in person with the people who elected you as class rep in the first place of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

That is what we are trying to tell people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Remember when people used to sort their problems in person? It was the 80s, and don't you forget it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Remember when people used to sort their problems in person? It was the 80s, and don't you forget it....

He he... Smoke up Johnny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Oldies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Brian has Swine Flu :( So seems we can't get in to the president atm. Just to let people know that, if they want to meet an official, best talk to Eoin or Liz :)

Advertisement