Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHobias you didn't previously have

• 22-11-2009 6:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

I've never been scared of spiders but was a in a pet shop sometime ago and was looking into an empty tank for whatever was meant to be in there. I like looking at lizards/tarantula/scorpion etc

Anyhow the tank wasn't emply, there was a big hairy spider right at the front down the bottom. Its colour kinda camoflaged it. When I caught sight of it it was about a cm away from my face because I was right up at the glass. Got a shock I'd never felt before. Was like the one you get in a horror film but less jumpy. I more froze and felt like a light sharp pain in my back.

MAybe was the closeness of the thing but think I'd be less cool about holding them now. Know a few people who can't even bear to watch them on TV so had previously thought about fear of them a lot. Thinking that may have contributed.

So is anyone terrified of anything that previously didn't bother them. Even like a year ago. Or went to being scared of whatever in a very short period

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,254 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Is your avatar a Spider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

That pain you're describing and the frozen feeling is exactly how I feel every time I see a big spider except the pain shoots up from my foot to my heart. Lightning bolt style. I think a lot of phobias can start from getting that feeling once and then forever associating the object (in this case, the spider) with that feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

I've always had a fear of spiders but it has got worse over the last couple of years, I check my bed most nights before I get in I check towels if i'm showering in my bfs house. I think it probably stems from a great big one landing on my face when I was a child :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

I have no fears, well had no fears til i watched charlie and the chocolate factory when i was 10. Now i have a fear of oompa loompas. weird i know but they are bleedin freaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭asomeday

i was never scared of heights or the dentist until a few years ago.now im so scared of the dentist that i have to be sedated {3 diazepam tablets}

i dont know wer it all came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Is your avatar a Spider?
    Watch Babylon 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I've always been nervous around Spiders, but now, I am absolutely beyond terrified of them. I am a person who cannot stand to see even pictures of them or images on television. I don't know what it is...

And of course all my bastards of friends love teasing me over it...:o:(

Advertisement