Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael O'Leary: I'd cut 20 billion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

No one has any problem with frontline staff - however if they keep allowing themselves to be used as muppets by middle / top management, I am afraid we will have to tar them all with the same brush. Why don't all the frontline staff continue and let the middle management and top management go on strike - will anyone notice ?? We may even get a better service without all their interfeerances about who is allowed to change a lightbulb etc

i believe nurses are over paid in this country , guards too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

irish_bob wrote: »

your belief without experiencing a job is just a that your belief, which you are totally entitled to. Having said that, it in no way gives your belief credibility as fact.

Imagine working in a kids hospital in say an icu watching kid you've taken care of there entire lives die unfortunately quite regularly. Imagine having to stay strong day in and day out and comfort the parents, seeing half the crap we see in our worst nightmares.

Nah feck it they get paid just fine! totally deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

irish_bob wrote: »

I do not feel any nurse or guard starting off in their profession are overpaid, the problem is that at the end of their career they are on huge wages with huge pensions compared to the average person.

muboop1 wrote: »
    your belief without experiencing a job is just a that your belief, which you are totally entitled to. Having said that, it in no way gives your belief credibility as fact.

Imagine working in a kids hospital in say an icu watching kid you've taken care of there entire lives die unfortunately quite regularly. Imagine having to stay strong day in and day out and comfort the parents, seeing half the crap we see in our worst nightmares.

Nah feck it they get paid just fine! totally deserved.

Its a tough job, the toughest in the public service, the vast vast majority of the country admire and support nurses, they just cannot understand why they are allowing the "wasters" in the public system hide behind nurses etc ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I do not feel any nurse or guard starting off in their profession are overpaid, the problem is that at the end of their career they are on huge wages with huge pensions compared to the average person.

The number of manager grade nurses in hospitals is ridiculous. Every week, another nurse who used to be on the wards is in a suit working as acting something or another for planning this or managing that, in an office, nowhere near a ward. This does nothing to help the patient, to all intent and purpose they are no longer really nursing but their inflated salary and pension is used as a stick to beat the average staff nurse with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

:D:D:D Yeah right! Like O'Leary gives a **** about the people of Ireland. If he did he wouldn't have got rid of the Irish in Ryanair and replaced them with Eastern European cheap labour.
    To people like O'Leary €€€€ >>> Irish people & Ireland
    Michael O'Leary (unlike many other millionaire businessmen) is fully tax resident in the RoI and pays a sh!t lot of tax to the exchequer. He is more patriotic than many many other tax exiles we could mention. The aircraft are all Irish registered, no flags of convenience (Irish Ferries, Cyprus->Cypriot rates of pay) with Ryanair. Their staff are not on slave wages or anything like it, but their staff must be highly productive (see where O'Leary's distain for the inefficient public sector comes from) in order to earn their keep. Ryanair were able to expand (and hire staff, many Eastern European seeing as working for Ryanair was basically beneath the niveau Riche of Ireland) while Aer Lingus has been doing no hiring, just cutting its numbers to try to compete. If the Irish public sector was reformed along the lines if Aer Lingus it would save the taxpayer a fortune, and Aer Lingus isn't even a perfect model of efficiency like Ryanair, yet.

O'Leary is a doer, not a waffler like Cowen. I don't fly Ryanair anymore because I simply don't like them but that's irrelevant because enough people do like/tolerate them to fly with them and in turn keep Ryanair as one of the few really successful large Irish companies operating internationally.

Anyway, I believe the more important comments came from the Baltimore Tech founder! This guy and people like him will drag Ireland out of recession or NOBODY will, certainly not those seeking to maintain the uncompetitive cost base (high wages mostly). We need to get back to brass tacks and start exporting stuff. I'm like a broken record on here saying it but it's true so I won't shut up-if we don't get back to exporting things and growing indigenous companies who export innovative products and services, then we're going to be poor for the foreseeable future.

We need to act now for the sake of future generations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Fix Irl inc

I wonder what Michael O Leary thinks of the remuneration that our temporary fire fighters in Ireland get (small country stations that are not full time) - Fair play its tough work but the payments they get is a joke.

A retainer of roughly €9000 per year is paid for the ordinary staff member just for being on standby, in other words, doing their own jobs - waiting on a call.

Once they are called out its €40 plus for the first hour they work and €20+ an hour there after - doubled that at the weekend of course.

Is it any wonder that if 2 cars slightly graze one another the temporary fire fighters are the first there - its great money for every call out.

Example 2 hours call out at the weekend and each one gets €120+. Do you think they are rushing home?

In Scotland for comparison - there is no retainer paid - it is seen as a mark of respect for the community - there is however a per hour rate of about £10

Maybe there is waste here? I am just guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

murphaph wrote: »
    ... We need to get back to brass tacks and start exporting stuff. I'm like a broken record on here saying it but it's true so I won't shut up-if we don't get back to exporting things and growing indigenous companies who export innovative products and services, then we're going to be poor for the foreseeable future.

Totally agree, there is too much focus in this country on encouraging business to serve local needs. That's ok when we have big multinationals growing our exports for us and creating real wealth, but now that that's reduced there is little to fall back on. I fear it's something mostly ingrained in the Irish psyche however, perhaps a hangover from the parochialism of the last century.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I wonder what Michael O Leary thinks of the remuneration that our temporary fire fighters in Ireland get (small country stations that are not full time) - Fair play its tough work but the payments they get is a joke.

A retainer of roughly €9000 per year is paid for the ordinary staff member just for being on standby, in other words, doing their own jobs - waiting on a call.

Once they are called out its €40 plus for the first hour they work and €20+ an hour there after - doubled that at the weekend of course.

Is it any wonder that if 2 cars slightly graze one another the temporary fire fighters are the first there - its great money for every call out.

Example 2 hours call out at the weekend and each one gets €120+. Do you think they are rushing home?

In Scotland for comparison - there is no retainer paid - it is seen as a mark of respect for the community - there is however a per hour rate of about £10

Lol, in Germany the volunteer firemen (Germany is similar to Ireland here-cities usually have a professional fire service, rural areas not) actually volunteer and get paid....nothing! Their employer however must by law allow them to leave on an emergency callout and can seek the employees wages back from the local government. It is called Ehrenamt in German when someone volunteers this sort of work for their community/country. Ehre means honour and Amt means 'position'. People who do this earn respect and nothing else-the way it's meant to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Lol, in Germany the volunteer firemen (Germany is similar to Ireland here-cities usually have a professional fire service, rural areas not) actually volunteer and get paid....nothing! Their employer however must by law allow them to leave on an emergency callout and can seek the employees wages back from the local government. It is called Ehrenamt in German when someone volunteers this sort of work for their community/country. Ehre means honour and Amt means 'position'. People who do this earn respect and nothing else-the way it's meant to be!

Off yis go lads, I'm sure there's positions for ye.

Don't forget to send the cheques back to the Collector General.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Hes got a point, but countrys arent businesses, stuff like healthcare for all and the dole dont make any financial sense, so Id hate to see Michael O`Leary in charge. At the same time if they had some of his gaul they wouldnt be so afraid of there own shadows, and might have even told the banks to f**k off with the insane credit culture.

Ehrenamt - as a business owner in this country paying taxes out my arse I feel like I have an ehrenamt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

My suggestion, €7 billion in cuts.
    €4 billion in permanent expenditure cuts as planned (until we return to positive growth)

Then we use the other €3 billion saved in cuts, as stimulus.
    Going over 2004, VAT Returns were at over €10 billion. That means each vat point is worth about €470 million to the exchequer. You could reduce VAT to 19% and still have €1.36 billion in stimulus left. You could use that €1 billion to fund the stimulus for businesses that IBEC talks about and with that final €360 million you could shave another .5% off the VAT Rate and still have €130 million left to spend on limos between Terminals in Heathrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭erictheviking

Ehrenamt - as a business owner in this country paying taxes out my arse I feel like I have an ehrenamt!
    As a worker in this country paying tax outa my arse and after years of hard work still just getting by I feel like I have an ehrenamt.
    You don't have to be a business owner to do your bit. the ordinary working people work hard too!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tsk tsk, in a civilised country they would only come when someone calls for them :rolleyes:

I agree - we are not the problem - its the stinking system that we have that is the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

_Kooli_ wrote: »
    Michael O'Leary.
    Great man for cutting costs to put money in his pocket.

Next you'll be having to pay for web checkin into A&E while you wait. And if you happen to be stuck in hospital you can starve or pay €100 for dinner.

Or what about if your house is on fire. Ryanfire will put out the fire for you €10k a room. How many rooms would you like.

Or teaching your kids. Ryanteach will teach your kids. You have to pay €25 extra for a desk and €10 for a seat. If you want a teacher for any special needs, that will cost you more too.

So as long as you dont have an accident, a fire, a flood or need kids taught, he's yer man. He'll save you a fortune. Anyone else, start saving for your new life.

Every time I hear a government minister talking about where cuts and savings can be made, if they identify something that might save 10 million a year, they will say, "ah sure there is no point in talking about cutting that, it would ONLY save around 10 million a year"....

Contrast that with how Michael O' Leary cuts costs. He goes to whoever is supplying his aircraft with drinks and makes them throw in ice cubes with the deal FOR FREE, so he doesn't have to pay for ice cubes.

Maybe the individual saving is very small on a single flight, but cummulatively it makes a substantial saving. He identifies the small items that can be eliminated, for example boarding cards, and this is where the savings come from, when added to other savings.

This government knows nothing about how business savings are made, they look for headline items and only know how to target them. Then out of the other side of their gobs, they talk about "reform"...

And its the same mentality when it comes to creating jobs, the government only want the big headline job announcements, they haven't a clue, they should be supporting small businesses but they haven't the slightest clue how jobs are created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

o leary made some good points there, love him or hate him he would be makin an effort to get the country out of this mess asap unlike the government if he was in charge.. once hes got an idea in his head hes goin to pursue it until its complete, so cowen and lenihan could learn a thing or two from him

o leary made some good points there, love him or hate him he would be makin an effort to get the country out of this mess asap unlike the government if he was in charge.. once hes got an idea in his head hes goin to pursue it until its complete, so cowen and lenihan could learn a thing or two from him

His view of unions is especially worth looking at... His view is that if you want to run a business, then go down to the CRO, fill out the form with your 100 Euro attached, set up a company and prepare to be completely cruxified for a few years while you try to get your business off the ground...

If you get through that and get the business up and running and into profit, after all the work you have done and the risk you have taken, you're not going to allow someone come in and tell you how to run your business.

If they want to run a business, let them to down to the CRO (Companies Registration Office), and start from scratch and see how hard it is...

I fully agree with him and I've a huge issue with unelected and unproven unions (unproven in the sense of job creation), dictating to any business how it should be run.

Unions have a purpose, but there should be a line beyond which they should not be allowed to cross. Starting up and running a business is the hardest thing any person could ever take on and if you think you want to dicate to someone how their business should be run, then you should go off and try it and see how hard it actually is, AND RISK YOUR OWN MONEY, RELATIONSHIPS, SANITY, ETC.

As a worker in this country paying tax outa my arse and after years of hard work still just getting by I feel like I have an ehrenamt.
    You don't have to be a business owner to do your bit. the ordinary working people work hard too!

18 months of a government just sitting on their hands waiting on the problems going away. Its like an :eek:ostrich:eek: with its head in the sand. Take the pain now and move on - hold our hands up - we all got carried away "Let he without sin". We need a fix and O Leary is right - take the 20 Billion now and move on. This is like a slow death. No balls being shown. :mad: It does not take an O Leary type to sort this mess out all we need is people who want to fix the mess - not people who want to bury their heads in the sand.

What would be so wrong with the IMF - this shower of idiots (all parties included) are only leading us further into the abyss

• Advertisement

18 months of a government just sitting on their hands waiting on the problems going away. Its like an :eek:ostrich:eek: with its head in the sand. Take the pain now and move on - hold our hands up - we all got carried away "Let he without sin". We need a fix and O Leary is right - take the 20 Billion now and move on. This is like a slow death. No balls being shown. :mad: It does not take an O Leary type to sort this mess out all we need is people who want to fix the mess - not people who want to bury their heads in the sand.

What would be so wrong with the IMF - this shower of idiots (all parties included) are only leading us further into the abyss

This is how desparate and selfish these people in government actually are. They obviously see the need for cuts and the urgency of the situation, but rather than risk the people rising up and civil unrest forcing a general election, they run with a situation where we are borrowing half a billion a week, they pander to the vested interests who threaten their continuance in power, the only thing that matters to them is continuing in power...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DeVore wrote: »
    the frontline medical staff like junior doctors and nurses would be jumping for joy.
    To enforce such a day, the government would have to bring an equal amount of staff that already exist. Overtime in the the frontline medical staff is the "cheap" option... if they pay the overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,461 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I agree - we are not the problem - its the stinking system that we have that is the problem

Oh, "we" very much are the problem... who put the current system in place..?

"And who is to blame for the sorry state of affairs...? Why, all you have to do is look in a mirror..."
    - V

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

But at the end of their career they are not the average person.
    They have 40 years worth of experience in their jobs. They are experts at their jobs. They have given their lives to their jobs.

Anyone with 40 years in an area of the private sector would be similar, but not the average person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

Anyway, I believe the more important comments came from the Baltimore Tech founder! This guy and people like him will drag Ireland out of recession or NOBODY will

LOL. You should find out more about him and the companies he's been involved in. A bit more about Baltimore too. You might find he's not the man for the job at all :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'm surprised he didn't mention cutting the number of TDs and their perks, expenses and teacher's pensions etc.

There is a lot of money to be saved in the Dail.

But at the end of their career they are not the average person.
    They have 40 years worth of experience in their jobs. They are experts at their jobs. They have given their lives to their jobs.

Anyone with 40 years in an area of the private sector would be similar, but not the average person.

This is the problem !!!! at the end of their career they are supposed to be the average person.... a teacher (principle) or a gaurd (sergeant) all the middle management of all departments, in every society they are supossed to be the average person.
    The pay and pension at the later stages of their career is way out of kilter with whats going on in the real world.
    I don't want to get personal but 2 friends of mine both admit privately that their present +€60k salary and €100,000 lump sum in the next 2 years and the high weekly pension is excessive !!!! and certainly not the average.

They have given their lives to their jobs.

I acknowledged nurses and front line HSE and social workers earlier, but this does not apply to the rest of the Public sector, they had a career, within which they have had excellent pay and conditions. Some people make out like they are martyrs giving their lives for their country :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ceret

:D:D:D Yeah right! Like O'Leary gives a **** about the people of Ireland. If he did he wouldn't have got rid of the Irish in Ryanair and replaced them with Eastern European cheap labour.
    To people like O'Leary €€€€ >>> Irish people & Ireland

Hiring Eastern European staff is bad? Every company in the country did that. A large percentage of the nurses are not even from the European Union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

very true

they're from the Philippines and India, though many are here a long time now and have residency and in some cases citizenship

Advertisement