Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael O'Leary: I'd cut 20 billion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

said it before. Get rid of the government and bring in Michael o leary and the likes to run the country properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,461 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

seanybiker wrote: »
    said it before. Get rid of the government and bring in Michael o leary and the likes to run the country properly.

said it before - it would be the end of dole, pensions, social services and anyone general beleive to be "supless to requirments". Sound familiar?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

seanybiker wrote: »

yeah, who needs democracy and constitutions and all that jazz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Fix Irl inc

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Good question:

1) reduce public sector numbers dramatically (thousands)
    2) reduce public sector pay (by a good bit 20%??)
    3) reduce social welfare (by a good bit 20% or more??)
    4) tackle the unions with regards to public sector reform which just hasn't happened
    5) introduce incentives to develop and expand Irish companies (some might say we have this in the enterprise boards) and get us back producing and exporting stuff

I reckon he'd get to at least 4 of these items
    Berkut wrote: »
    It says that we're fúckin morons who never learn.

Regardless of who you vote for all politicians are the same.
    They only care about themselves and their constituents.
    If anything I'd get away from this brand of government.
    The less people are dependend on their local policitians the sooner we can demand a proper led government.
    No more days of voting the local FF in because he filled in a pothole in the road etc...
    No more regional voting...make it countrywide so there's no fiddling with numbers etc.

Lets get rid of "BRAND" politics - a great idea!
    :)Anybody interested in helping me form a new political party called "we will only take €50,000 per year and half the current expenses":) I think we would top the poles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

If O'Leary cut 20 billion out of the economy who would have the money to fly on his planes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

dresden8 wrote: »
    If O'Leary cut 20 billion out of the economy who would have the money to fly on his planes?
    German tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Absurdum wrote: »
    yeah, who needs democracy and constitutions and all that jazz!

At the moment we don't need democracy as it is has failed us, and the truth is if we don't get our act together forget about democracy as the ECB will just say THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO - DO AS YOU ARE TOLD - the constitution is a millstone around our necks - should be torn up and redrafted every 20 years... but that is another debate.

O'leary as ever says it as it is and the PS workers can't see the reality we are facing. It ain't going to be pretty but its what we need O'Leary should be listened to he is one of the few who says it as it is...

What people in the PS don't realise is the Germans just aren't prepared to put up with it any longer and they will turn the cash tap off..... and then what for public sector pay with the governments cheques bouncing, just what are yoy going to do then????

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

westtip wrote: »
    At the moment we don't need democracy as it is has failed us...

That is dangerous nonsense.

At the moment we don't need democracy as it is has failed us, and the truth is if we don't get our act together forget about democracy as the ECB will just say THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO - DO AS YOU ARE TOLD - the constitution is a millstone around our necks - should be torn up and redrafted every 20 years... but that is another debate.

O'leary as ever says it as it is and the PS workers can't see the reality we are facing. It ain't going to be pretty but its what we need O'Leary should be listened to he is one of the few who says it as it is...

What people in the PS don't realise is the Germans just aren't prepared to put up with it any longer and they will turn the cash tap off..... and then what for public sector pay with the governments cheques bouncing, just what are yoy going to do then????

You want someone who is only in it to make money instead of a bunch of corrupt politicans who... are only in it to make money...

FFS, you can NOT run a country in the same way you run a business. When the **** are people going to cop on to this? A business is there to make money. A country is not. There are going to be state run services operating at a loss - are you suggesting we hire a businessman to come in and scrap them all? Regardless of who needs them? IN order to save a bit more cash?

And, just in case I need to say this (sometimes nessecary around here) please do NOT pretend to misconstruct this as liberal/lefty/hippine/PC delete-where-appliable unless you confess to being a neo-conservative ****wit who thinks we can dispense with ALL public services. Some, yes - there needs to be some deep cuts made, I'll be the first to admit - but not by a profit-orientated entrapuener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Enterprise boards - don't make me laugh

Oh i know, they're rubbish

lining their own pockets is all i have seen them do

• Advertisement

And what have you done about these acts of corruption that you have witnessed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Fix Irl inc

I know - They draw you into this fantasy world where you actually believe there is a possibility of a wee grant to assist you build your business and help create another job or two!

It will be the answer to your prayers and really help you move to the next level with your business. When you fill out all the forms - and wait the 2-6 months on a reply you find out - well that they never had any money in the first place and any that they had was spent on F**king networking mornings.

sorry about the rant but burnt fingers and alot of time wasted jumpin through hoops for nothing - business is going well since I learned to do it myself!!!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BrownianMotion

What do you expect him to do, report them? To who? We have already seen time and again there is no accountabilty in these positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭halkar

Good question:

1) reduce public sector numbers dramatically (thousands)
    2) reduce public sector pay (by a good bit 20%??)
    3) reduce social welfare (by a good bit 20% or more??)
    4) tackle the unions with regards to public sector reform which just hasn't happened
    5) introduce incentives to develop and expand Irish companies (some might say we have this in the enterprise boards) and get us back producing and exporting stuff

I reckon he'd get to at least 4 of these items

1) Where will these people work? Unemployment rate increase to 20%
    2) Take the money of the economy, small shops cripple, Tesco, Dunnes start closing shops. More unemployment. Rate increase pass mid 20%
    3) People have no money crime rates sores. Businesses sick of being burgled
    every month. Some decide to pack in. More unemployment. We are near 30%.
    4) Don't care much about unions.
    5) At 30 % unemployment ever increasing taxes where is the money for incentives?

If you start taking bricks from bottom of the pile, all bricks will fall. We need to start taking the bricks from top which is the Leinster House. We can discuss the salaries of public service forever but we have some of the most ridiculously paid politicians and councillors in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

:D:D:D Yeah right! Like O'Leary gives a **** about the people of Ireland. If he did he wouldn't have got rid of the Irish in Ryanair and replaced them with Eastern European cheap labour.
    To people like O'Leary €€€€ >>> Irish people & Ireland

He doesn't, that doesn't matter though, he run the country like a business which is probably exactly what we need right now rather than fannying around complaining that people on the dole arn't getting a christmas bonus or similar ****e

What do you expect him to do, report them? To who? We have already seen time and again there is no accountabilty in these positions.

That is nonsense.

[Didn't the late Tony Ryan (he who launched O'Leary on the world) have a bit of bother because there [B]is[/B] accountability in these positions? I half-remember what the issue was, but Google doesn't help me confirm it, so I put it as question in the hope that somebody else can confirm or deny that Tony Ryan fell foul of the rules for county enterprise boards.]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

DeVore wrote: »
    The one point I would make which is very telling is that while some PS workers might die of shock at the idea of a 40-hour week, the frontline medical staff like junior doctors and nurses would be jumping for joy.

Other then that, yeah... nail on head.

DeV.

didn't the nurses strike for a 35 hour week in 2001, but got a 37.5 hour one?? i don't think they'd be jumping for joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

That is nonsense.

[Didn't the late Tony Ryan (he who launched O'Leary on the world) have a bit of bother because there [B]is[/B] accountability in these positions? I half-remember what the issue was, but Google doesn't help me confirm it, so I put it as question in the hope that somebody else can confirm or deny that Tony Ryan fell foul of the rules for county enterprise boards.]

I had a look round, but couldn't find anything about it in any of the articles available. I would be interested to know what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 anon41

OMD wrote: »
    http://gradireland.com/careers-advice/articleview-3a_285.aspx

Just a survey but they put starting salary at €27224

Highest starting salary is in IT and Engineering at €28000

omd, I have an Hons. Degree..I started on 22,500 and after 3 years was up to 25,500.
    Thats avarege in the science/pharma industry. The Private sector is not just made up of engineers but everyone uses them as an example when talking about private sector salaries.. strange that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BrownianMotion

That is nonsense.

It's not just nonsense simply because you say it is. It is telling that the only case that came to mind for you cannot be found easily on google.

So we either have no corruption/ incompetence at high levels in organisations like these, or else we have no accountability. Which do you think more likely?

• Advertisement

It's not just nonsense simply because you say it is.

Agreed. It's the other way around: I say that it's nonsense because it is.
    It is telling that the only case that came to mind for you cannot be found easily on google.

It is telling; it tells you I am cautious about speaking ill of the dead without checking the facts.
    So we either have no corruption/ incompetence at high levels in organisations like these, or else we have no accountability. Which do you think more likely?

That's a dishonest question.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    You want someone who is only in it to make money instead of a bunch of corrupt politicans who... are only in it to make money...

FFS, you can NOT run a country in the same way you run a business. When the **** are people going to cop on to this? A business is there to make money. A country is not. There are going to be state run services operating at a loss - are you suggesting we hire a businessman to come in and scrap them all? Regardless of who needs them? IN order to save a bit more cash?

And, just in case I need to say this (sometimes nessecary around here) please do NOT pretend to misconstruct this as liberal/lefty/hippine/PC delete-where-appliable unless you confess to being a neo-conservative ****wit who thinks we can dispense with ALL public services. Some, yes - there needs to be some deep cuts made, I'll be the first to admit - but not by a profit-orientated entrapuener.

Mate I never said the public sector services need to make money- and I don't think O'leary has said that - it does however need to be run more efficient at the moment there are huge inefficiencies and certain parts of the PS could certainly be privatised - ~ESB for one, Administration in the Department of Education, Administration of Driving licences, etc etc...Mate what you seemingly don't understand is we are broke and can't afford to pay the PS what was stupidly promised them five years ago. Bertie where are you now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭erictheviking

anon41 wrote: »
    omd, I have an Hons. Degree..I started on 22,500 and after 3 years was up to 25,500.
    Thats avarege in the science/pharma industry. The Private sector is not just made up of engineers but everyone uses them as an example when talking about private sector salaries.. strange that :rolleyes:

Thats a fair point but at the same time the public sector is not just made up of college lecturers and teachers but their salaries are used as an example all the time by the PS bashers.
    BTW the link is from 2008 so deduct pension levys etc from those salaries.
    I have a degree and started on around 9k back in the 80's. my mates at the time were earning more on the building sites. But then again, most graduates have absolutely no work experience when they leave college. Starting salaries are just that, starting salaries. They improve with experience.

That is dangerous nonsense.

Its whats going to happen if we don't get our house in order - do you really think we live in a democracy? Then why are the ECB writing the budget? Who elected them?.....The ECB are effectively running this country now and no-one is saying it ....and they (the ECB) will do a better job of getting us back to a sense of reality in terms of what we are paying our PS workers and by the way my main target would be the ridiculous amounts the senior managers in the civil service get paid and the stupid amounts our politicians get paid (in salaries perks and expenses as well) and I am afraid the likes of Teachers getting paid twice as much as their counterparts in places like the UK has simply got to stop....

The cheques are going to bounce.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭erictheviking

Mate I never said the public sector services need to make money- and I don't think O'leary has said that - it does however need to be run more efficient at the moment there are huge inefficiencies and certain parts of the PS could certainly be privatised - ~ESB for one, Administration in the Department of Education, Administration of Driving licences, etc etc...Mate what you seemingly don't understand is we are broke and can't afford to pay the PS what was stupidly promised them five years ago. Bertie where are you now?
    These are the key words. The govt. f***ed up. Not the public sector. Not the private sector. When will people kop on to this???

These are the key words. The govt. f***ed up. Not the public sector. Not the private sector. When will people kop on to this???

Yes they did F**k up and one of the greatest parts of that F**k up was by overinflating the economy by pouring money into the PS Pay bill.....When will you understand the PS workers are part of the F**k up - they paid the PS too much, its not the PS workers fault PS workers are the victims but paying the PS too much is the biggest F**k up they did - so now the PS workers think they are actually worth what they are getting paid, they are not but the Govt is at fault for making you believe you are. Reality check time.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

OK, I've accepted this. What next??

Its whats going to happen if we don't get our house in order - do you really think we live in a democracy? Then why are the ECB writing the budget? Who elected them?.....The ECB are effectively running this country now and no-one is saying it ....and they (the ECB) will do a better job of getting us back to a sense of reality in terms of what we are paying our PS workers and by the way my main target would be the ridiculous amounts the senior managers in the civil service get paid and the stupid amounts our politicians get paid (in salaries perks and expenses as well) and I am afraid the likes of Teachers getting paid twice as much as their counterparts in places like the UK has simply got to stop....

The cheques are going to bounce.....

Setting aside the matter that much of what you say above can be contested, you have not justified your claim that
    At the moment we don't need democracy as it is has failed us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

i didn't need to do anything, Prime Time (or similar) exposed it (around year 2000 i think) and it went to court, this is not some made up rubbish

I will dig out some info for you when i have time

• Advertisement

Oh I know you didn't, and to a certain extend he didn't, but I firmly believe it's be his (or any other entrepuener's) approach.

I commented on the Administration and the need for cuts in the post replied to.

Bertie... indeed...:pac:

Advertisement