Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael O'Leary: I'd cut 20 billion

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Tipp Man wrote: »
    i didn't need to do anything, Prime Time (or similar) exposed it (around year 2000 i think) and it went to court, this is not some made up rubbish

I will dig out some info for you when i have time

So when you said "lining their own pockets is all i have seen them do ", it is based on not seeing much of what they do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

So when you said "lining their own pockets is all i have seen them do ", it is based on not seeing much of what they do?

Why are you being so pedantic??

I obviously didn't "see" them lining their pockets otherwise i would have been party to their actions.

Why are you being so pedantic??

I obviously didn't "see" them lining their pockets otherwise i would have been party to their actions.

You have suggested significant corruption. It now appears that you have little evidence for that suggestion.

If it is pedantic to seek truth and fairness, I will happily admit to being pedantic.

You have suggested significant corruption. It now appears that you have little evidence for that suggestion.

If it is pedantic to seek truth and fairness, I will happily admit to being pedantic.

And i clearly stated that there was a court case involving corruption on a county enterprise and that i would provide evidence when i had time, did you not read my post??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

irish_bob wrote: »
    this year he will earn 33 thousand sterling which is only a few grand more than an irish nurse starts off on excluding overtime , he is flabergasted at what nurses in ireland earn , its not as if ireland is a richer country than the uk afterall

The average wage in the UK is between 14 & 17K per year.

The average wage in Ireland according to figures is between 31 & 33K.

the 33K nurse in the UK is earning nearly double the average wage in the UK

The irish nurse on 31K starting off is already earning the average wage from the get-go.

Also, if they REALLy wanted to save money, there are plenty of people capable of working & plenty of work to be done in the public service or on national/community projects. They could incentivise the dole that an increase to 280 per week for those who join to do work on community projects (giving them a job in effect) or on national projects (i.e. construction workers unemployed being brought in to help bring road development projects back into target), & if you are offered one of these roles & refuse it, you instantly lose HALF your dole money.

We've plenty of work that needs doing in the country at community, county council & national level, & loads of people unemployed with the skills to do it - it would seem obvious to me to use those people who are unemployed to help do that work, with incentives, while slashing those who refuse offers to do so - it'd fix those scroungers who want to do **** all, help get valuable work completed, & again remove benefits from those who 'choose to sit on the arses'.

I'd also enforce performance management in the public service, you don;t perform, you go through the warnings/improvement procedures those in private enterprise have to go through - you don't meet targets? no bonus'. Perks should be in line with private enterprise to.

You know what they say about sacred cows? they make tastier hamburgers! =)

Just my 2 cents.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

There are alot of areas of PS that could be privatised, as has been suggested! OLeary is right, the Government should tell them whats going to happen and if they dont like it leave! They are the ones taking the piss remember! no one else!

And i clearly stated that there was a court case involving corruption on a county enterprise and that i would provide evidence when i had time, did you not read my post??

Yes, I read your post.

You seem to extrapolate from one case about which you have not yet furnished details that corruption is endemic.

Yes, I read your post.

You seem to extrapolate from one case about which you have not yet furnished details that corruption is endemic.

Funny i don't see you providing the Tony Ryan back up that you suggest a couple of pages back

To clarify i never said corruption was endemic. In fact i have not used the word corruption in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Setting aside the matter that much of what you say above can be contested, you have not justified your claim that

Our form of democracy has failed us - electing parish pump politicians with little or no ability and little interest in the national interest. Democracy is failing us

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yes, I read your post.

It's endemic in Iarnrod Eireann anyway. Sure who cares, it's only taxpayers' money-plenty more where that came from, eh?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BrownianMotion

It is telling; it tells you I am cautious about speaking ill of the dead without checking the facts.

By putting his name into doubt without any facts you have already spoken ill of the dead, cautiously or not. If that kind of thing bothers you.

You miss the point here however. It is good that the public, and in particular the media, are now acknowledging the waste that has occured in organisations like these. Judging by recent events unfortunately, even if you are caught with your hand in the till your punishment involves an early retirement and an extra bit towards the holiday home in France.

We have very different views of what accountability is.

Funny i don't see you providing the Tony Ryan back up that you suggest a couple of pages back

Jaysus! I said that I couldn't find backup. The reason I said so was to be fair, and to give people a reasonable warning that my memory might have been faulty. It is disingenuous to hold that against me.
    To clarify i never said corruption was endemic. In fact i have not used the word corruption in this thread

When you said "lining their own pockets is all i have seen them do" it is a suggestion that corruption is endemic. Now it is evident that you have seen very little.

Jaysus! I said that I couldn't find backup. The reason I said so was to be fair, and to give people a reasonable warning that my memory might have been faulty. It is disingenuous to hold that against me.

So its ok for you to be extremely vague on a Tony Ryan situation which may or may not have occurred (the fact that you mention his name without ANY facts has aleady called his reputation into question) but its not ok for me to say that there was a court case agaisnt a member(s) of a particular enterprise board and that i would find the details later?? I didn't even mention people by name

Me thinks that horse is very high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ConsiderThis

I'm not sure if anyone heard O'leary on the wireless over the weekend.

I agree with his incredulity that the government has had Bord Snip's report now for 6 months and have done nothing about it, which is criminal when one considered that in that time we have had to borrow a further 13 Billion while the government dithers.

he also mentnioed that the Quango's in Ireland amount to €8 billion per annum, and that the first the first thing he would do is abolish all quango's and save €8 billion per annum at a stroke.

... he also mentnioed that the Quango's in Ireland amount to €8 billion per annum, and that the first the first thing he would do is abolish all quango's and save €8 billion per annum at a stroke.

Yeah. Close down the HSE and save a fortune.

O'Leary was doing his usual thing: a Ryanair promotion gig. A few controversial political comments get people to pay attention, and then he can Push his Ryanair agenda.

He praised Charlie McCreevy for lightening the burden of regulation, but didn't acknowledge that the lightness of the regulation of the banking sector was a major problem. Now, O'Leary is not stupid, and he probably knows that, and I suspect that he probably thinks that was a bad thing. Any person advocating light regulation should have a thought-out and nuanced position. That does not fit into Michael O'Leary's soundbite style for addressing things: making complex comments and using more than one verb in a sentence gets in the way of his core message, which is the promotion of the Ryanair agenda. All his public comments should be interpreted with that in mind.

That said, I don't want to suggest that everything he said was wrong. On matters like our economic problems, most people are right on at least some things even if they are wrong on others.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ConsiderThis

He praised Charlie McCreevy for lightening the burden of regulation, but didn't acknowledge that the lightness of the regulation of the banking sector was a major problem. .

In fairness, he wasn't attempting a balanced critique of Charlie McCreevy, but stating what he admired about him. He also praised that other Charlie, Charlie Haughey, because he was able to get things done and not listen to the civil servants who urged caution.

While its easy to be an armchair warrior, most of us can recognise that our government seem incapable of making the decisions we all know are necessary. Every day they put it off is costing us all money in the form of increased national debt. In the six months since the bord snip report was published, their lack of decision has cost us all €13 billion in increased borrowing ( which equates to and extra debt of -+ €3250 per man, woman and child in the country).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

publicity lads....only to keep ryanair/OLeary in the news...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

DeVore wrote: »
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.

DeV.
    Those who can, do... those who can't ,criticize

Advertisement