Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need cpu and mobo combo

Options
  • 22-11-2009 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

My pc died last nite, I'm still diagnosing but its either the cpu or mobo. The board is getting power, it lights up, led lights on gpu and x-fi and the fans try to start when I click the power button but it dies after half a second, no beeps, doesn't get that far. I'm goin trying out the cpu in the young fella's pc, if it works its staying there, upgrading him from dual to quad.

I've 8gb of ddr2 ram, therefore I see no point in going for iCore series and having to upgrade to ddr3. There's been no game I couldn't max with an oc'ed q6600. Looking for a good mobo and cpu combo, the cheaper the better this close to xmas. This will be heavily overclocked, like the last. I've a slight preference for Asus mobo's unless anyone could convince otherwise. Not bothered where I shop, Ebay even, I've dealt with Hardwareversand a few times before also, so dealing with them is straightforward. I'll also be keeping an eye on adverts.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Well if it is your mobo and not the chip the cheapest option would be another Asus board and considering how old that board is now you might be able to pick it up cheep online.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=352402

If the chip is screwed check your lads dual core in your rig just to make sure. Either way you shouldn't have to spend to much getting your own PC up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The quad is working in this pc, so its deffo the mobo thats a goner. I'm leaving the quad in this pc as an upgrade for the young fella and going to buy a new cpu and mobo for mine, this way I can go for a newer penryn quad if it comes at the right price. No point buying the same chipset again as its too old and newer ones offer two 16x pci-e slots which gives me options in future, I had considered selling the 4870x2 in favour of a 5870, could add a second later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=344757
    Q9550 2.83GHz with 12mb cache are @ €190 on the Kplett. They weren't meant to be bad clockers were they?

Was looking recently, but there is no point in me ditching my own Q6600 B3, still does the job well in games and a cooler 45nm chip wouldn't keep my room as warm :-)

Hopefully you can pick up a dacent C2Q on adverts for cheap.

Amd would also be an option here, but I'm not too well up on them. I'll definitely be overclocking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Well considering you need a new mobo and cpu you might aswell go AM2+

this looks like a nice board always wondered what dfi were like too,
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/DFI-DK-790GX-M2RS-AMD-790GX-SAM2plus-PCI-E-20-(x16)-DDR2-1066-667-800-SATA-II-SATA-RAID-ATX

2 pci-express ports

• Advertisement

I've had Dfi before 4 years ago, wasn't a great Intel mobo, they do better with Amd, I'd have no problem buying one of their mobo's again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I've had Dfi before 4 years ago, wasn't a great Intel mobo, they do better with Amd, I'd have no problem buying one of their mobo's again.

Well i suppose every company is capable of making good and bad hardware. You should really check out the reviews and see which seems to get a good rapport right across the "board"

After consulting with "her indoors" I'll prob be opting for the P5Q now as its the cheapest option to get me running again and upgrading to Q9550 in January when I've a little more cash. Why couldn't this happen afetr xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Effluo wrote: »
    Well considering you need a new mobo and cpu you might aswell go AM2+

this looks like a nice board always wondered what dfi were like too,
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/DFI-DK-790GX-M2RS-AMD-790GX-SAM2plus-PCI-E-20-(x16)-DDR2-1066-667-800-SATA-II-SATA-RAID-ATX

2 pci-express ports

I had a DFI for my Opteron 180 a few years back was a great board. Dont think theyre keeping up these days though, i rarely see reviews of them, as opposed to the past people were raving about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Yeah DFI boards really have dropped in quality these days and compared to the likes of Asus and Gigabyte your money is best spent elsewhere imho.

• Advertisement

Just bought P5Q on Dabs.ie cos they take Paypal. If anyone comes across a bargain on a Q9550 let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

After consulting with "her indoors" I'll prob be opting for the P5Q now as its the cheapest option to get me running again and upgrading to Q9550 in January when I've a little more cash. Why couldn't this happen afetr xmas
    Make sure its an E0 stepping of the Q9550, theyre insane overclockers, my old one would do 4.2-4.3Ghz, practically 0 diference in gaming performance between it and my i7 920@4Ghz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I've got a tasty B3 q6600 sitting around doing nothing if your interested ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Anti wrote: »
    I've got a toasty B3 q6600 sitting around doing nothing if your interested ;)

Fixed that for ya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭MickH503

The quad is working in this pc, so its deffo the mobo thats a goner. I'm leaving the quad in this pc as an upgrade for the young fella and going to buy a new cpu and mobo for mine, this way I can go for a newer penryn quad if it comes at the right price. No point buying the same chipset again as its too old and newer ones offer two 16x pci-e slots which gives me options in future, I had considered selling the 4870x2 in favour of a 5870, could add a second later.

Did you try powering up with all the RAM removed and see if fans stay powered on? I had a very similar problem on a new build and it was the RAM causing it.

MickH503 wrote: »
    Did you try powering up with all the RAM removed and see if fans stay powered on? I had a very similar problem on a new build and it was the RAM causing it.

Yep, tried without, with just 2 sticks, with and without gpu.

I don't mind that its a b3 quad, its goin in the young fella's pc and will be at stock, I'll take my one back

Advertisement