Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good bookshops in Dublin??

Options
  • 22-11-2009 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

Due to the closure of University College Cork this week because of the flooding, Im heading to the "Fair City" for a few nights and visiting Dublin bookshops is obviously a must :pac:

So what beith the best bookshops up there? I heard something about Chapters in Blanchardstown??

And any good literary places of interest to be seen? Ill be in Trinity anyway so ill probably head along to the Book of Kells.

As a bit of a bio, Im usually read "classic" literature although tbh Id read anything from science (esp Maths) to history and philosophy etc! I like shops such as Vibes and Scribes in Cork where you can go in and find really interesting books on nearly every shelf.

Cheers for any suggestions!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭I_Am_The_Walrus

Reads has a good selection

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

My favourite book shop is Hodges Figgis on Dawson st. It tends to have an excellent selection and there are bargains to be had in the basement. The staff are very friendly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Easons O'Connell Street has broad selection, Chapters Parnell Street is a big shop with good range, some bargains. Hodges Figgis & Waterstones on Dawson Street (opposite each other on Dawson St, owned by the same company) are worth a look. I prefer Hodges Figgis. Reads Nassau St is owned by Easons so similar, but with greater discounts, less of a slection. DuBray Books Grafton Street is a nice little shop, nice atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 FishFingers

Dubarry on Grafton Street isn't bad - it's small, but it always surprises me, even when I go looking for the most obscure of plays!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Lol 'Dubarry'... Hate when customers call it that!

I'll have to say Dubray's in Blackrock purely cos I work there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Morzadec wrote: »
    I'll have to say Dubray's in Blackrock purely cos I work there
    You might have sold me Stephen King's "The Dome" and an ABC book yesterday. :p

Hoggis Figgis is great - though I was in Waterstones opposite it recently and was amazed at how big it was. Another nice shop to hang out in I have to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

You simply have to go to Hodges Fidges on Dawson st. if you have a bit of cash. (Go downstairs for a bargain)

Chapters on Parnell st. is also a must, its second hand selection is phenonomal.

I'd also echo Easons on O'Connel st. and there is also an interesting second hand shop in George st. Arcade if you're feeling a little retro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

And on the seventh day ... God made Hodges Figges!

Seriously. I rarely cry. But when I saw the 5 bookshelfs of those black and white spined classics, tears of joys welled in my eyes :D

Its an amazing place. The selection is incomparable any of the bookshops here in Cork. They had like 5 shelves on James Joyce alone? It is a bit pricey, but then again I do most if not all my book shopping online. I just use the high street for guilty pleasure.

I was very impressed with Dubrays on Grafton Street in terms of fiction, where it outshines the Cork shops (though not in other categories like history).

Waterstones (not on Dawson street) was the only other shop I visited. Meh really, offered nothing more than the one here in cork.

Cheers for the recommendations. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

I really like the book upstairs just opposite trinity,on college green/dame street. It's small but always has an interesting selection and usually reasonable price

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

ronano wrote: »
    I really like the book upstairs just opposite trinity,on college green/dame street. It's small but always has an interesting selection and usually reasonable price

I pop in there the odd time too. They always have an eclectic selection of history books that ordinary shops don't seem to stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

"Murder Ink" on Dawson Street

http://www.qype.ie/place/507078-Murder-Ink-Dublin

Really friendly shop.

Many American writers in stock.

Bought "Busman's Honeymoon" by Dorothy L Sayers.

http://www.sayers.org.uk/dorothy.html

They also stock Georgette Heyer mysteries.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Behold-Heres-Poison/Georgette-Heyer/e/9781402217982

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Teres a lovely new bookshop opened at the ChristChurch end of Temple bar called 'The Gutter Bookshop'. Its not very big but has a nice selection.

Advertisement