Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Storm Tuesday/Wednesday - 24/25 November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

mike65 wrote: »
    Nothing happening down here.

Yea, about 25 miles north of you here, on fairly high ground, and just a light breeze. Looking like about 3am it will start to get windy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Some clusters of heavy showers off the southwest coast zipping along towards us: http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

96.3kmph gust recorded at Mace head already.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Sounds like that wind was the outflow from the cloud dropping that hail. Can see some pink flecks in that shower on the radar that probably got you. Plenty of those heavy/thundery showers expected to roll in tonight.

I wondered that but the shower cloud was to my SE & the wind definitely came from WSW. I was in the south of the UK during the famous "hurricane" so I have experienced high winds - I watched 6 in diameter conifers snapping like matches. Tonight's wind episode was almost explosive. I did wonder if it was a "mini tornado" but the wind was not circular.

Can someone describe/explain what a bow echo looks like on the radar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

it might be a small country but it makes the world of difference which side of it you live on........light to moderate rain today and breezy top gust was about 50kmh ......i bet people in the west and north have a whole other story to tell......im in the sunny ..na ...shelthered south east:)

Discodog wrote: »
    Can someone describe/explain what a bow echo looks like on the radar ?

Look at the cold front passing over the UK at the moment, see the snake like features near the leading edge? http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
    Basically they are curved like a bow getting drawn back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Wind is beginning to make some noise here. Has become very blustery over the last 15 mins. The trees about 100 metres away are screaming! Feels milder than earlier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Bow echo would only apply to a long, continuous squall line feature that shows a bulge towards the direction of movement, in other words, a bow shape about 50-100 miles long usually. The activity currently on radar in western Ireland is more isolated convection, it looks like somebody opened up a hornet's nest somewhere.

Bow echo features can produce tornados but are more likely to be associated with damaging straight-line winds. A tornado is more likely from isolated thunderstorm cells ahead of the squall line feature. The kind of tornado that can accompany these cold weather low-topped convective clouds is really more of a waterspout feature that may form near land or over a lake, and then track for some distance across land before dissipating.

They are all destructive to some extent, but the big tornados that form in the central U.S. and occasionally in parts of western Europe are more likely to form on fast-moving cells that are a few miles south of a well-defined front, or along such a front in some cases. If a tornado is going to form near a bow echo, it's usually somewhere near the southwest end of the bow, or the leading edge of it.

This is a bit sketchy, but if you see a radar echo that looks like this, it's a bow echo (and especially if it has high intensity levels too, if weaker, it would be more of a gust front sort of thing).

..............................xx
    .............................xx
    ...........................xxxx
    ......................xxxx
    ...............xxx
    ............xxx
    ...........xx
    ..........xx
    .........xx

What causes a bow echo? Usually it's some condition along the path of a cold front that causes one part of it to accelerate, perhaps it meets with less topographic resistance for a while, or clouds along it reach higher altitudes and are pushed along faster by stronger winds. They obviously have a sort of self-correcting mechanism because after some time, if the bow breaks away from the line, the front is likely to re-form behind the break, and the break-away cells may then either go tornadic or simply dissipate as they stop lifting.

Lightning in those showers swinging up from the SW

http://onweer.optv.nu/?O=EU

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

stormy here now in mayo, its wild outside.
    but were well used to 130kmph winds here

Not sure was it the wind or is there lightning around but lights dipped a couple of times here just now and the tv knocked itself off!!! :eek::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

Quite cold here in Sligo n just a light wind. no storm. current last wind of 3.9kph. wheres this storm?

Its after midight, the public service strike is over and like magic we have all weather stations reporting :pac:

124kmph gust at Belmullet.

theres barely a breeze here in carlow i have the window open and i cant hear a thing:(......wish i was in the west tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Constant wind noise now as I lay in bed. Intermittant loud gusts. Since 0.00 it's really picking up.

Hail storm moving through!! Outside is just one big roaring howl.

Not sure was it the wind or is there lightning around but lights dipped a couple of times here just now and the tv knocked itself off!!! :eek::pac:

Thats more like it. :D

And still early days...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

124.1 Kmph gust recorded at Bellmullet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

All quiet here so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Constant wind noise is so cool. Long may it last. Well at least until I have to go out at 8am.

will the east see some of this storm in the early hours or will it track north towards scotland?

• Advertisement

Well that was great! Flat calm here now and stopped hailing. Like nothing happened!!! Maybe I only imagined it.....:confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

very windy outside, howling and roaring, not surprising being a mile from the coast

Well that was great! Flat calm here now and stopped hailing. Like nothing happened!!! Maybe I only imagined it.....:confused::D

Looking at the radar/sat loop Im sure youll see more as the night/morning goes on.

Looking at the radar/sat loop Im sure youll see more as the night/morning goes on.

Yep, hopefully, although they seem very much hit and miss jobs at the moment. As I type a very very severe downpour of hail. Jesus christ this is mad1!!

Edit. Stopped again, but that was weird. No wind. wait, now there is.

howlinwolf wrote: »
    will the east see some of this storm in the early hours or will it track north towards scotland?

West and northwest will be getting the strong winds, its tracking towards Scotland, yes. East coast and Irish Sea will be windy in the morning though.

Other than that keep an eye on those showers on the radar to see if any head your way as they could bring you hail/thunder/downburts when they pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Winds regularly gusting to around 100kmph. Some nasty hail showers rolling in as well and it looks like there are many more to come.

Hello whats this, a late night Estofex update for 25 Nov 06:00 to Thu 26 Nov 06:00 including......

A level 1 was issued for Ireland mainly for tornadoes and to the lesser extent, marginally severe wind gusts.

:pac:

http://www.estofex.org/

74kmph sustained at Mace Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

This has deteriorated somewhat

3hr-wind.gif

• Advertisement

Nasty looking shower heading for Listowel area on the radar.

Advertisement