Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Wayne Rooney Overated?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I would take Rooney over Ronaldo any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

rofl at the Kuyt and Rooney comparison...

I think hes class but not world class, top 10 players in world though or maybe just outside it. I think he needs a different kind of striker alongside him though and better service from wingers to truly shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Smegball wrote: »
    I think hes class but not world class, top 10 players in world though or maybe just outside it.

How is Top ten players in the world not World Class?

Rooney mis an incredibly gifted footballer. As a united fan I still can't help feeling I've yet to see the best of him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Mr. Alan you talk some crap at times.

Rooney is better than kuyt at every facet of the game. Most importantly he is far far far more intelligent than Kuyt on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Mr Alan wrote: »
    He is Dirk Kuyt's wet dream.

Fixed. Although I imagine you were WUM'ing anyways.

Rooney is the most important player we have. He dictates the play and the tempo of the game. Only those who watch United week in, week out can only appreciate what he does in a game.

Put it this way, when Ronaldo was with us last year - we missed Rooney more when Rooney was absent from the teamsheet than when Ronaldo was absent.

davyjose wrote: »
    How is Top ten players in the world not World Class?

Rooney mis an incredibly gifted footballer. As a united fan I still can't help feeling I've yet to see the best of him though.

Top 10 players in the world?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Top 10 players in the world?

Sorry, was quoting the post above mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I think everyone is overated by some people, underated by others and their true value falls somewhere inbetween.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I think everyone is overated by some people, underated by others and their true value falls somewhere inbetween.

don't be getting splinters on that fence.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I would take Rooney over Ronaldo any day of the week.

Do you fancy him or something as it is obviously not for footballing reasons ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Warper wrote: »
    Do you fancy him or something as it is obviously not for footballing reasons ;)

Cant really be his looks either, must be the wonderful personality :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Yeah, he's English, of course he is. Probably about half as good a player as Ronaldo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

No Rooney is not overated.

His biggest Flaw is he works too hard. If he was more selfish in his play and was happy to let others create something for him he would score more goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭deccy15

I don't think he is over-rated, however i do think he is the greediest player on the ball in the premiership!!! How often does he take stupid shots that are just not on!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

deccy15 wrote: »
    I don't think he is over-rated, however i do think he is the greediest player on the ball in the premiership!!! How often does he take stupid shots that are just not on!!
    128710037872615390.jpg

You clearly don't watch Rooney week in week out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Have you ever seen rooney play?

wow.

imo he's overrated by utd fans, but if there's one thing he's not, it's selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

He is Dirk Kuyt, with a slightly better touch.

Soulnds like Carlos Tevez actually.:pac:

Great thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

No, to me he's not overated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

the comparrison with Kuyt was half tongue in cheek, but they are a lot closer than Utd fans would like to think.

HA HA , do they use the same aftershave or somthing, because they are poles apart in footballing terms.

In answer to the OP it depends on who's doing the rating, IMO he has been uniteds most important player for the last few seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Yes.

please explain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The Muppet wrote: »

In answer to the OP it depends on who's doing the rating, IMO he has been uniteds most important player for the last few seasons.

How in Gods name was he more important than Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

These threads are hilarious.

How the fook have United won so much in the past 3 seasons with such average - poor personal?

I'll sum up Rooney this way.

Ronaldo 80m, no probs thanks a million.

Rooney - Get yer fooking beady eyes off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

No I dont think Rooney is overrated. His touch, workrate and his ability to bring UTD front line together is superb.

His only problem is his temprement, a bit flaky at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Boggles wrote: »

Ronaldo 80m, no probs thanks a million.

Thanks a 80 million more like

But Rooney is not overrated.

As a 'pool fan I would be more than delighted if he had chosen us over Everton as a youngin' but thems the breaks.

He is a bloody brilliant player, however I would take issue over his temperament and lack of respect for the refs.

Other than that and his need to be everywhere on the pitch instead of staying up top where most dangerous, he is a fantastic player for both club and country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Ever so slightly overrated but undoubtedly top class. After the Chelsea -v- Man U game this season Oliver Holt praised the performance of John Terry, for keeping the "best striker in the PL" quiet all day. I'm sorry, but even though he's top class, he's not the best striker in the PL. Torres and Drogba are a head of him in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Ever so slightly overrated but undoubtedly top class. After the Chelsea -v- Man U game this season Oliver Holt praised the performance of John Terry, for keeping the "best striker in the PL" quiet all day. I'm sorry, but even though he's top class, he's not the best striker in the PL. Torres and Drogba are a head of him in that regard.

True - as a striker there are better around, but the rest of his game is so important to united - setting the tempo and shape.

I htink he was only coming back from an injury against Chelsea too and was rusty. He was also the lone striker in that game, which is always a tough job.

As regards to the OP, i would say he is over rated by some. He is still an excellent player, but isn't consistently enough at the top of his game offensively to be world class.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Kinda surprised that Anelka isn't being mentioned as a top striker in the PL...top goal scorer last year.

Rooneys a top player and he'll just keep getting better. Who knows how far he'll go. He could be the best player in the world some day. The guys not even near his prime yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

If anything he is underrated as he is never nominated for player of the year. One game that really impressed was an FA cup game against Southampton last season. Man Utd were 2-0 up and Rooney was on the bench. Utd were getting complacent, Southamption getting back into the game. Rooney was thrown on; and whereas most players, coming on in a game where they were 2-0 would have seen it as a decent runout, opportunity to enjoy themselves or even worse, not care; Rooney had an incredible look of determination. He got stuck in, shouting as teammates and was involved in everything United were doing; determined to finish Southampton off. Eventually he set up Gibson for the third goal.

That said, I'm not sure he fully realised his potential on a technical level. He is not as exciting as with Everton and in Euro 2004. He is probably being over-coached at United; thought not to shoot from long-range as often, go for the simpler finishes. When he first came on the scene, he was shooting from everywhere and scoring from everywhere. Powerful volleys into the top corner were nothing for him. Like many English players, he has become a little over-coached and his natural flair has almost being trained out of him.

Still, a great player. Needed to stay clear from injuries and score more goals to be considered one of the best in the world. He is finally doing both now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Prufrock wrote: »
    Kinda surprised that Anelka isn't being mentioned as a top striker in the PL...top goal scorer last year.

Rooneys a top player and he'll just keep getting better. Who knows how far he'll go. He could be the best player in the world some day. The guys not even near his prime yet.
    well he aint in the top ten goalscorers so far this season and jermain defoe is top!
    Think actually he is playing much better this season but last year he got so lucky with alot of tap in's in the first couple of months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Yes. Hugely.

He does have a patch on Ronaldo, look how much ManU have struggled this year. Also dont like the amount of 'No please close this thread replys from United fans' what not allowed to discuss a sore point?.......

Does'nt do it regularly enuff. like i said previously had 4/5 good games then disapears for another 3/4. Also really bad part of his game is discipline, not helped by the fact hes endulged by refs cause hes Englands star player

There isn't a manager in world football that wouldn't give their left testicle to have Rooney.

/close thread.

Yes. Hugely.

He does have a patch on Ronaldo, look how much ManU have struggled this year. Also dont like the amount of 'No please close this thread replys from United fans' what not allowed to discuss a sore point?.......

Does'nt do it regularly enuff. like i said previously had 4/5 good games then disapears for another 3/4. Also really bad part of his game is discipline, not helped by the fact hes endulged by refs cause hes Englands star player

:confused::confused::confused:

He does have a patch on Ronaldo, look how much ManU have struggled this year.

Were they any better at this point last year?

Prufrock wrote: »

I'd agree with that, as a Chelsea fan over the last season and this season I think Anelka is definitely the better player.

Also, I think ronaldo's performances at Real have surely dispelled the myth that the only reason he did so well at United was due to Rooney's selflesness and support that was touted for so long by United fans

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Also, I think ronaldo's performances at Real have surely dispelled the myth that the only reason he did so well at United was due to Rooney's selflesness and support that was touted for so long by United fans

It wasn't really just United fans touting it, now was it? ;)
    I think Rooney deserves far more credit then people are giving him. He's an excellent foil at Man Utd for Ronaldo, he's selfless, a real team player,Tenacious ,still young and he'd make virtually any team's first XI. As for the fool who said he'd be a terrible choice in fantasy football, so what? Makalele and Deschamps would always be terrible choices but they add so much to teams that ridiculous systems like fantasy football can't calculate and as strange as it sounds, I think Rooney is the closest thing to a "water carrier" up front which is invaluable

It wasn't really just United fans touting it, now was it? ;)

That's very impressive.

In fairness though, the argument held weight before Ronaldo moved especially considering how Portugal were suffering for goals but his record in Real speaks for itself and he doesn't have a Rooney there.

• Advertisement

That's very impressive.

In fairness though, the argument held weight before Ronaldo moved especially considering how Portugal were suffering for goals but his record in Real speaks for itself and he doesn't have a Rooney there.

That doesn't disprove anything.

The only thing it does prove is Real have excellent players aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

NO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

davyjose wrote: »
    Were they any better at this point last year?

Ronaldo missed the start of the year.

By reading this thread it is clear that some people are over-rating Rooney. Suggesting that he had a greater influence in Utd. winning trophies the past few seasons than Ronaldo is ludicrous.

Ronaldo missed the start of the year.

He missed the first 3 league games of last season. We are now approaching League Game 14.
    By reading this thread it is clear that some people are over-rating Rooney. Suggesting that he had a greater influence in Utd. winning trophies the past few seasons than Ronaldo is ludicrous.

Were you not advocating the sale of Ronaldo because he was self serving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have always had fixed feelings on him. I believe that he hasn't reached the heights that most expected of him when he first broke onto the scene. I also believe that he is overrated due to the fact that he is not a particularly good finisher, especially when one on one with the keeper. Saying that, he still a great player and would challenge for a place in most teams for his work rate and passion alone. I think that he would be excellent used in same way Henry is for Barca. He would fit in perfectly on the left of Liverpool's 4-2-3-1 behind Torres and beside Gerrard and Kuyt.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

He's not one bit over-rated imo. He's a top class striker. If he got more service he'd score plenty more. His work rate, skill, pace and finishing is top class and not second to many. If he starts to get some more service and plays in the proper central striker position i think he's most effective in then we'd see the best of him, although as an Arsenal fan i'd prefer if we didn't :D.

• Advertisement

x PyRo wrote: »
    He's a top class striker. If he got more service he'd score plenty more.

i'm sorry, but is he not playing for one of the best teams in the world?

he gets plenty of service.

that's no excuse if you think he hasn't scored as many as he could have.

SlickRic wrote: »
    he gets plenty of service.

He provides plenty of service.

He sets up the same amount as he scores.

Rooney Can't be replaced, unlike the other strikers been mentioned on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

He sets up the same amount as he scores.

Rooney Can't be replaced, unlike the other strikers been mentioned on here.

I can't but admire the confidence that you have in your beliefs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He is Dirk Kuyt, with a slightly better touch.
    the comparrison with Kuyt was half tongue in cheek, but they are a lot closer than Utd fans would like to think.

Love an aul extreme opinion I does! Rooney is a better athlete than Dirk Kuyt, has far superior technical skills, and reads the game a whole lot better. Rooney probably has an edge in terms of determination also. And yes, I am a huge admirer of Dirk Kuyt.
    Headshot wrote: »
    lol_cat-12926.jpg

lol

your a funny man

Tip: probably should be extra careful with grammar and spelling when attempting to cut someone down to size. Otherwise, you run the risk of appearing slightly foolish. ;)

absolutely, never said he didn't.

he also sets the tempo or utd's attack, so is very important to utd.

but he has never been very clinical. which was my only point really. it's not like he passes up every opportunity to score in order to play someone in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement