Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OscarBravo joins the admin team.

Options
  • 22-11-2009 2:26pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just to let you all know. Great to have him on board. not much more to say really!

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

OH Noes! Everybody panic!

Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ah, The Little Hitler of Boards. May your reign last days and your death last years.

(Im just kidding. Go gettim)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So he can now read my PMs? :eek:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

mike65 wrote: »
    So he can now read my PMs? :eek:

One assumes that you're joking as you're around here long enough to know that that's not the case Mike.

But for anyone who doesn't get Mike's brand of humour please rest assured that the only times the admins will ever read any of your PMs are 1) When someone reports one of them because you've been abusive or have misbehaved in some other way; or 2) When instructed to do so by court or Garda order, in which case a lot of technical work by Ross or Conor is required just to gain access to the mailbox. This is, quite frankly, far too time consuming and so not worth the effort to be done in anything other than in exceptional circumstances. After that you can be sure that access will be tightly restricted so that the vast majority of admins won't be privy to the contents of your PMs.

Now, back to our original programming...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Coola Boola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Eh not exactly, admin can see a pm you have sent if it is reported by the person to whom you sent it.

If a pm is reported by a poster the admins see the content of that pm in the report on the post but other then that the admins can not read pms with out going through the process Zaph discribed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I must protest. oscarbravo is the bastard mod who gave me the one and only blemish on my otherwise perfect record. The fact that the infraction was completely deserved is totally irrelevant. :D

IOW - congrats ob - well deserved :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Cmon DeV, giving him more powah????

Grats neways oB :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If someone reports a PM the admins can read THAT PM.

Other then that it takes OS level access and even I dont have that. It also takes a court order or a senior Garda.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

DeVore wrote: »

Other then that it takes OS level access and even I dont have that. It also takes a court order or a senior Garda.

DeV.
    Whew, dont mind if I keep running Al Qaeda over PM then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Osama wrote:
    Overheal wrote:
    Durka Durka

Mohommed Jihad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I think his first act should be give Zaph an infraction for taking this thread off topic (and for stealing his thunder).

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's a long road that has no turns...

/enigmatic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Zaph wrote: »
    One assumes that you're joking as you're around here long enough to know that that's not the case Mike.

But for anyone who doesn't get Mike's brand of humour please rest assured that the only times the admins will ever read any of your PMs are 1) When someone reports one of them because you've been abusive or have misbehaved in some other way; or 2) When instructed to do so by court or Garda order, in which case a lot of technical work by Ross or Conor is required just to gain access to the mailbox. This is, quite frankly, far too time consuming and so not worth the effort to be done in anything other than in exceptional circumstances. After that you can be sure that access will be tightly restricted so that the vast majority of admins won't be privy to the contents of your PMs.

Now, back to our original programming...

:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ConsiderThis

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.

I have to admit to being somewhat surprised to learn that it only take a nod from a "senior" garda to access anyone's private messages on boards.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I have to admit to being somewhat surprised to learn that it only take a nod from a "senior" garda to access anyone's private messages on boards.
    Why?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It takes a letter from a superintendent indicating its part of an ongoing investigation. Its not like your local copper can just nip in and have a browse.

DeV.

By the way, back in 1990's myself and others opened the Irish branch of http://www.eff.org/

Its not like I'm predisposed to giving police access to computer records. I think you could safely say I oppose such things... :)

DeV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Well deserved OscarBravo!

As for the reading of PM's... I cant even get the recipients of my PM's to read them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement