Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential flooding

• 22-11-2009 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

The Shannon is rising due to the effect that flooding in lowland areas north of Limerick is having on the water levels.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/flooding-expected-along-river-shannon-435238.html

How bad will it get do you think? The water levels around Thomond seems way out of proportions, the paths are completely flooded and whole trees have been submerged. From day one, I thought that it was an inappropriate place to build blocks of flats....right on the floodplain of the largest river in the British Isles! I wonder how bad it'll get...
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

thomond is what probably 30 feet above the natural level of the river? id be suprised if it flooded at all and if it does no more than a foot or two. i havnt been over there is a while but i think its on a kind of natural riseso the water would go around it i could be making that up though

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

yeah, the flats will be fine, but has anyone else seen that pedestrian footbridge further down the river? It's only about 4ft above the water at this stage! Also, what are those small houses on the limerick side of the river, directly across from thomond? They seem fuucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭alexcorb1991

yeah, the flats will be fine, but has anyone else seen that pedestrian footbridge further down the river? It's only about 4ft above the water at this stage! Also, what are those small houses on the limerick side of the river, directly across from thomond? They seem fuucked.

I heard pumps running last night when i was walking to the stables so thats probably how they are still liveable

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

i can only imagine how bad the ul bohs out in annacotty is!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The problem is the surge of water expected if the ESB have to release yet more water from the Ardnacrusha dam, and they have informed the council that this may be necessary imminently to prevent dam failure along with severe flooding further up river. You guys should escape the worst of it in such a situation, it would be further down the river really at risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

It's very close to the Health Sciences building, that could be in trouble should we get any more rain. Those houses across from Thomond are boathouses mainly afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Any pictures out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Thomond is designed to take these floods. Between the berms around the buildings and the valleys in between them designed to take the water they should be fine.

Should. Any photos around? I have photos from 2006/7 when the river was the highest I've ever seen it.

Urgent Notice - Water Supply Shut Down - Today Mon 23 Nov

Due to the rising water levels on the River Shannon there has been excess pressure on the sewerage pumps in Thomond Village.

We are writing to advise that it is now necessary to turn off the water supply today 23 Novemeber.

Please refrain from using tap water, showers and toilets until further notice.

Just got that there, and I wanted a shower and all!

Yeah I might head out after a bit and get a few photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Thomond doesn't seem too bad but the Health Science Building looks like it may be in trouble! Water is almost at the door of the cafe! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Just to get political for a second. The Shannon is the longest river in Britain and Ireland, not the British Isles. The British Isles consists of Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and its constituent islands.

Anyhow...to the point. The Health Science Café Verde may flood, and is indeed the only sandbagged area of campus. The chances of the river rising into the remainder of the HS is very low IMO. Verde is about 60-70cm below the ground floor of the building.

I believe there was also a warning that the "Black Bridge" is under strain and may not see out the night. It is closed - do not use it. It is currently holding approximately 50 trees and a pontoon in its understructure which has caused this situation. As the river rises it will spread wider; the levels of water that have seen the rise to the current level would not cause the same rise now, it would just spread into further land.

Thomond has been designed to allow flood waters through it. Dromroe is more likely to flood than Thomond in my uninformed opinion, as it was not designed to "become an island", though it was designed with flooding in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

The black foot bridge was periously close to being covered all weekend, and from looking at tomorrows forecast, I'm glad that its closed!

There will be serious flooding in UL imo.

The field across from Harvard Close in CC is practically a lake at this stage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Mossin wrote: »
    The black foot bridge was periously close to being covered all weekend, and from looking at tomorrows forecast, I'm glad that its closed!

There will be serious flooding in UL imo.

The field across from Harvard Close in CC is practically a lake at this stage...

It is a lake. I was looking at it today going something seems different didnt that used to be the groody river.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

What was all this on the news about probable flooding in Plassey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

ninty9er wrote: »
    Just to get political for a second. The Shannon is the longest river in Britain and Ireland, not the British Isles. The British Isles consists of Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and its constituent islands.
    Ireland does infact fall within the British Isles. Its a geographical, not a political term.

Attached is an attempted photoshop (ie. the crocodiles) forwarded onto me of the health science building last friday. Passing it on the way home today the water level is now up to the first step at the back entrance to the cafe.

The road between the health science and thomond village was also flooded tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

It was on the Six One news, which you can watch with Real Player on the RTE site if you missed it. The ESB is releasing built up water at the Parteen Weir which will have effects downstream in places like Westbury, Shannon Banks and Plassey, Castleconnell, Montpelier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Discussion of whether the British isles includes this island as well as those islands (depending on which island you're currently on, it could be this island, these islands, them islands over there or "the mainland" and babies if you're that way inclined[1]) can be had on the History & Heritage (located under Soc) rather than here. Note that the Politics board doesn't want it as we've done it and it degenerated into people calling each other names.

It's nothing to do with the flooding but then that's obvious, innit?:)

/mod

[1] Yes, as it happens I think it's an idiotic discussion from both sides (especially given that by extension we can reconsider the names attached to the Irish Sea, English Channel and wonder why the most northern point of "this island" (if you're still with me) is in "this country" rather than "the other country" or the "six county statelet") but it's still a discussion, idiotic or not, that can be had on the History & Heritage board if anywhere, kthxbye. Aside, Iceland are a bit annoyed at the use of the coined "Islands of the North Atlantic" label, given that they are a bit more northerly than we are but then they don't suffer from colonial flu.

Sooooo, the flooding eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Oh dear, lets hope the living bridge is stronger than the city's christmas tree

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

bazkennedy wrote: »
    Oh dear, lets hope the living bridge is stronger than the city's christmas tree

I took pics today .... will be no prob with that ;) However if more water arrives I can't see the black bridge holding ... theres water pretty much level with it now!!!!

Pics to be uploaded tonight!!!

• Advertisement

floods floods floods...

The ESB won't be releasing any more water tonight, as far as I know. Will it make a difference? Eh. I saw the Coast Gaurd on the bridge today, how worrying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Todays pic of the Health Science Building

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Well Holy God! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I saw the Coast Gaurd on the bridge today, how worrying!
    That's pretty worrying all right:D

Though maybe he's keeping an eye out for Spanish trawlers, who will be fishing as far as Athlone if the rains continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

sceptre wrote: »
    Though maybe he's keeping an eye out for Spanish trawlers, who will be fishing as far as Athlone if the rains continue.

Politics forum maybe? :p

I never thought the place would flood this badly,hopefully this is the worst of it. Some shots from the campus...

The River Walk
    D21BEB29A1E64E29BCF5D79B14AC6A6C-500.jpg

The Black Bridge
    3C673689CD494EE3841F1EB3AD34035A-500.jpg

38661CD6ED8646058EEC0EEAC1E8AFE2-500.jpg

Drumroe Lake
    CD149B653C85499DA3709B25E235089B-500.jpg

The view from the old mill
    713E3D07953A480FB015EED41E4ED2F3-500.jpg

E66717003A21489B85735CE046C988D4-500.jpg

Drumroe at Night
    0DB78F79F4034FB5821BC4D8A1A0F1E6-500.jpg

Flooded Roundabout(Now Closed)
    83C33FE5DACF41DDA90DDFCC06B34054-500.jpg

The Living Bridge
    C087AD55C38543A8AEDDAA8134947D56-500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 youlickmagee

I never thought the place would flood this badly,hopefully this is the worst of it. Some shots from the campus...

The River Walk
    D21BEB29A1E64E29BCF5D79B14AC6A6C-500.jpg

The Black Bridge
    3C673689CD494EE3841F1EB3AD34035A-500.jpg

38661CD6ED8646058EEC0EEAC1E8AFE2-500.jpg

Drumroe Lake
    CD149B653C85499DA3709B25E235089B-500.jpg

The view from the old mill
    713E3D07953A480FB015EED41E4ED2F3-500.jpg

Surely you did not clamber to the top of the Mill for those shots..:eek::eek::eek:
    I used to climb that when i was a Kid and it was bloody Dangerous then..

Excellent snaps, well done:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Well anymore updates?? More water to be released today by the ESB.

By the way it is Dromroe not Drumroe but excellent photos.

Advertisement