Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to get qualified

Options
  • 22-11-2009 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi all

I want to get into web development full time. At the minute I'm doing it on a freelance basis in the evenings & weekends and have good working knowledge of PHP, SQL, HTML etc.

I want to get into web development professionally and therefore, it's time to go study!

Just looking for advice on what course I should be looking for - something that will actually stand to me. Digital media or just a cert in web design?

Any advice on getting ready to make the change would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

I think from a PHP point of view getting one of the Zend Certifications is probably better than doing some course. Getting that and having a pretty decent portfolio of sites you have worked on or developed, in my opinion, much better than completing any college course.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ciaran187

Cheers Waterboy. Will look into Zend. With regard to portfolio, is it just sites I've done as freelancer or can I put together a few sites to show what I can do?

Also, what about flash? I don't have a clue about flash or actionscript. Is that a basic requirement these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

Regarding your portfolio - some companies want to see just your professional portfolio i.e. the sites you worked on as a freelancer. However personally I think its a good idea to also have some sites that you worked on for yourself - It has become more common for companies to ask for an example of programming you did yourself outside of the work environment. This can be a hobby site etc. and it gives a good indication that you are programming / designing and always trying to learn more or work on new stuff.
    I wouldnt be too worried about Flash. Id know the basics of how to embed it and also maybe the advantages and disadvantages of using flash in your applications but that would be it.
    Regardless of what skills you have for a job, it is rare that you will have them all. You need to sell yourself with the ones that you have.

Advertisement